PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone converted their Colt HBAR to an M4?

sasquatchoslav
12-07-15, 10:41
Pops still loves banging away with his old HBAR, but that isn't stopping him from loving my various M4's. To the point his HBAR sits in the safe now. Sooooo. Was thinking about surprising dad with a new barreled upper and adjustable stock. I'd consider doing this if I thought he'd ever use the 20" barrel again, but thinking he wouldn't.

Did any of you who have done this use your original config again or does it sit/sold it? I have two pals who are ready to buy the Colt as it sits now so maybe that is the best route, but would hate to dump the upper if dad comes back and says 'hmmmm wish I had that old Colt config'. Not sure if his recent M4 swiping of my rifle safe is a short term thing or permanent! I know once I got dialed in to the adjustable stock and not having that darned permanent carry handle I was done with my HBAR and sold it in 2000.

Thanks for any insight.

Jwknutson17
12-07-15, 15:14
I'm guessing you will have a better response in the correct forum. Here is a little read on the Custom Build Forum.. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?82447-PLEASE-READ-THIS-FIRST-Custom-Build-AR-Forum

I would hang on to it. Just my opinion. Nothing like letting something go you regret later on. Especially if its your fathers, and has any sentimental value to it.. I know my father would be PISSED if I got rid of some of his stuff, even though it never gets used.. Just my .02 And Welcome to M4C.

Airhasz
12-07-15, 16:57
I hang on to my fathers gear till he is no longer here.

vandal5
12-07-15, 17:16
Never mod another man's car, motorcycle or firearm without consent.

I helped my Dad swap a fixed stock for a telescoping and he likes it. I offered to aquire and swap all the needed parts as a birthday present for him after he said he liked mine. In the end he was quite happy but he's a casual user at best. I would never have just gone and done that on my own, but you know your dad better than we do.

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

sasquatchoslav
12-08-15, 06:32
Oh no I would never just do it w/o asking him was just wondering if anyone had done it and liked the results. Never mixed and matched uppers/lowers after the fact all built from ground up new. Figured if he was up for it and we converted it was there any sense in keeping the old upper/stock around?

No matter anyway we talked last night and he wants me to sell the HBAR and I'm giving him my DDM4. All is well thanks for the input.

RetroRevolver77
12-08-15, 09:17
I did this exactly during the last ban. Had an HBAR that I outfitted with a collapsible stock and Colt carbine length barrel.

brushy bill
12-08-15, 09:41
With the Colt OEM1 & 2 as cheap as they are, why not pick up one of those for your dad and give him the best of both? You'd be out maybe a few hundred over a quality upper & he'd still have his HBAR unscathed & no danger he'd be upset.

eodinert
12-08-15, 12:35
A new upper would completely update and lighten the rifle, and you could keep the old one intact. Without speaking to the politics of changing this particular rifle, I'd ditch the heavy barrel in a second.

Pappabear
12-09-15, 11:26
I ran 11.5 uppers on my HBAR lower with zero issues. Go for it.