PDA

View Full Version : IOR or Nightforce

Jeremy
08-07-08, 12:48
I am looking for a semi compact scope with a mil dot or milradian reticle. I think I have narrowed my choices down to an IOR 2-12 or a Nightforce 2.5 - 10.

The best prices I have found for each are in the $1150-1200 range so price is a wash for the optic. The IOR comes with rings for that price and I would go with Larue rings on the NF so the NF will be more expensive mounted.

I am wanting this for a duty gun for use on my observer rifle and for woodland search. Glass quality is of high importance as I will spend more time looking through it in the field than shooting. I would imagine both will be about the same, but am looking for first hand experience.

Since I have to carry the gun, weight is a consideration and I am pretty sure the Nightforce will win by a large margin. My current scope and mount is 2 pounds or more so both will be at or under that limit.

Since I work at all hours and light conditions, an illuminated reticle is desired. I have read that the NF is not adjustable in the field.

I know the IOR has adjustable parallax. What about the NF?

I don't shoot well with scopes that vary eye relief with magnification. Do both of these have a consistent eye relief?

I assume both mil reticles are calibrated at 10X?

Is there anything I am missing? Since this is a high dollar, for me, purchase I want to get it right the first time.

My current scope is a Burris 4.5 - 14 and the combo works and I get good hits, it is too big for my .223. It is also too long, shifting the weight forward too much. Both the IOR and the NF are shorter and should keep the weight between the hands better.

The Burris does not have an IR or range finding reticle. The ballistic plex works well and I have no problems using it for holdovers and getting hits, but as an observer, range estimating ability would be nice.

LettersFromEarth
08-08-08, 11:14
Both are good brands with good reps. I havent even seen a NF, though so I cant comment on anything there other then what Ive heard and read.

A drinking bud of mine has an IOR of lesser mag then the one your posting about but Im sure somethings carry over.
1) Quality glass. Clear as can be with outstanding color rend.

2) Useable Reticle.

3) Not so good illum / battery life. Day time brightness wasnt there. Not a major consideration for some but for others it can be a deal killer.

4) Built like a tank! A bit heavy to be sure. It reminded me of the old style D-cell Maglites that were issued back in the day.

ETA--IOR's tend to have constant ER going up/down the mag range.

Since you said this will be for duty I urge you to also consider glass from Leupold and Burris (ETA--Burris has spent some time and efforts moding or introducing new optics and reticles to their XTR line. Since you already know their glass somewhat maybe one can fit your needs?) Both outfits offer a very good discount to LE/Mil (IIRC Burris was something like 55% of MSRP) and both have good reputations in the community as well. Just tossing that out there. Good luck.

ETA--Holy third leg, Batman! The high mag Burris XTR's are long as Hell! Never mind those...geez oh peat! LOL

Parabellum9x19mm
08-08-08, 23:21
for duty use? NSX hands down

IOR has little customer service support in the US

Robb Jensen
08-09-08, 08:26
Nightforce.

Cold Zero
08-09-08, 09:44
I have two N.F. scopes, 3.5-15X & 1-4X. Happy with both and customer service is top notch. A good value for the money.

Jeremy
08-12-08, 19:49
I got it today and it seems to be the perfect SPR optic. I shot today from 5 yards out to 450. I did range estimation drills and really like the 1/2 mil hashes. It seems a little more precise than my standard mil reticle.

Here's a pic of it mounted on my XCR. It is zeroed to the 16 inch heavy barrel, but I did not want to switch them out just for a pic.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/783/p1010321ic9.jpg

Dualspringfields
08-12-08, 22:00
set the scope to the highest mag and get your proper eye relief. That way when you dial down your still good to go.