PDA

View Full Version : Low cost spotting scope for range out to 200?

sasquatchoslav
12-08-15, 07:50
I have a friend who is on a pretty tight budget who just got back into shooting. Have no idea what the potential of these $100 Barska scopes are for a guy sighting in a rifle out to a max of 200 at his range. Wish I could recall the one I looked through a guy had at our range a year or so ago said it was from Wal Mart???? I could see white paper 5.56 holes at 150 yards I was astonished. Anyway if you guys have some recs for a guy on a super tight budget I'd love to be able to give him some reasonable expectations for his needs. Thanks for the input.

T2C
12-08-15, 11:06
If you can afford one, Konus makes a decent spotting scope for around $200. If the lighting conditions are right, I can see .30 caliber holes at 300 yards.

dbain99
12-08-15, 13:57
I have a Konus 20x60x80 spotting scope($200) I can see holes in heavy paper at 200 fairly easily. I have a friend who has a very high quality 15x45x60 that puts my scope to shame. He has an incredibly stable standing tripod to go with it.
Glass quality is superior than magnification.
But for the price I am happy with my purchase. I didn't need to spend the big buck like long range competition shooters do but it's definitely a step above looking through a 10x rifle scope.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

dtconnelly
01-27-16, 17:13
Add me to the list voting for the 200 dollar konus options as something to use until you save you Sheckles for good glass. I have one - it will pick up 30 cal holes on white paper at 200 without any issues. At 300 and 400, it can't make out 30 cal holes on paper but if I use a splatter target it will get the job done....even when the mirage is kicking up at 400.

The tripod that comes with the scope is only good on calm days....but in my mind it is the lowest priced spotting scope that is truly useful. I have tried some of the lower priced scopea (thankfully without wasting money buying them) and I found that a good quality 10x rifle scope was better for seeing your holes than a barska spotting scope.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lefty223
01-27-16, 17:31
FWIW I have a few 24X Unertls I can let go from $250 to $350. PM me if any interest.

dmd08
01-27-16, 17:41
I went with a Redfield Rampage 20-60x80 for $250. I read a lot and had realistic expectations. It fulfills it's purpose for me which is helping when I'm zeroing a rifle and I've used it at a Garand match. It sounds like it's performance is similar to the Konus so save 50 bucks and get the Konus. I decided if I want a better spotting scope I'll skip all the Vortex and similar offerings at the ~$500 mark and get something really nice.

dtconnelly
01-27-16, 19:11
If lefty has used unertls for that price, I'd jump on those way quicker than a konus or other "value priced" brand. A fixed mag scope from a quality manufacturer like that may not sound as cool, but it will outperform a variable power that is three times the price once you figure out how to use it. I generally have my konus set below 30x unless I am shooting out past 300 yards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rayrevolver
01-27-16, 20:49
Another option for a 20-60x80 spotter from Celestron:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-ultima-80-angled-45-degree-spotting-scope-package-52250-op-ultima-80-spotti.html

This kit with tripod used to be $150, now up to $199. I can't remember why I picked this one over the other Konus but they look like similar scopes.