PDA

View Full Version : ARES Larue ?

thebigx
08-07-08, 14:53
I'm thinking bout doing an SBR and wanted to add an ARES piston system to the build. My question is, does anyone know if the ARES system will work under a larue 7" handguard rail system? Or is there some modifications that need to be done.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
08-07-08, 15:00
The ares system isn't really an upgrade. It's prone to failure due to the piston system using the gas tube roll pin as a stop. Also I the piston wouldn't fit inside the Larue rail and there would be no way to access it for cleaning.

thebigx
08-07-08, 15:17
I see... I guess once I get it (my stamp), I'll just send it in for the PWS...

Another Question...

Why is it on the PWS site, it states that only they can install the system... But you can purchase it at Rainier Arms... Is this just a simple install or is there more to this?

theJanitor
08-07-08, 15:59
only approved installers can do the conversion. Rainier is one of them. at the bottom of the product page it says that the conversion must be done at Rainier

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1053

thebigx
08-07-08, 16:06
only approved installers can do the conversion. Rainier is one of them. at the bottom of the product page it says that the conversion must be done at Rainier

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1053

ahh! i didn't see that! i wonder whats so special about these things that only "approved installers" can put them in.

hmmm.

caporider
08-07-08, 16:40
ahh! i didn't see that! i wonder whats so special about these things that only "approved installers" can put them in.

hmmm.

The gas port needs to be opened up and the op rod needs to be press fit into your bolt carrier. I suppose someone with the right tools could do it themselves, but PWS is being smart by controlling the install process to ensure uniformity.

Broadway
08-08-08, 22:16
If this is a hobby gun to shoot holes in paper the conversion may be just fine. If you may have to rely on this firearm for your life get a dedicated piston upper. The conversions do not enjoy a reputation for reliability.

JoshNC
08-09-08, 12:10
Why give ARES any money at all? They have done nothing short of defrauding the depositors on their SHRIKE beltfed AR15/M16 upper receiver system. I personally will not give ARES (or any other company with such unethical business practices) a single dime.

And all that withstanding, the ARES system does nothing to address carrier tilt. With all the other piston systems coming to market, just save your cash and buy a good one. In fact, just wait for the ADC piston system. I think it is going to be the one to beat.

MisterWilson
08-09-08, 12:38
"Defrauding" is a strong word. I was under the impression that anyone who wanted their money back was refunded with zero hassle.

Can anyone else confirm that?

Seth Harness
08-10-08, 11:23
I'm thinking bout doing an SBR and wanted to add an ARES piston system to the build. My question is, does anyone know if the ARES system will work under a larue 7" handguard rail system? Or is there some modifications that need to be done.

Thanks in advance.

If you want an Ares kit I would buy one. Ive been shooting one for a year and a half and have learned alot. I have an aftermarket drop in part to fix the carrier tilt issue, if your interested, and as long as you dont remove the handguard cap on your barrel just behind the FSB, you should be fine. From what I understand the push - pull isnt supposed to bear on the pin. It did in my gun because I removed the handguard cap.