PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Aacupower vs: Leupold VX R

golfer
12-08-15, 11:24
I've just ordered a 14.5" DD carbine and have been looking at Trijicon Acupower 1x4 and the Leupold VX R 1x4 Patrol to top it out.
I like the lighted segmented circle-dot of the Trijicon and it looks to be a fairly fast scope.
The Leupold looks nearly as good for a few hundred $$ less, but it appears it only has a lighted dot instead of the circle. Can anyone confirm this for me? I like the looks of the Leui CMR 2 reticle but it appears to not be available on the patrol scope.
Also any comments either way relative to these scopes would be most helpful.
Thanks and best wishes for this Christ mas.

cop1211
12-08-15, 11:44
I have had the VXR/ VXR patrol, only the dot illuminates. It's a very nice little , light weight scope that has some nice features like the auto shutoff, and good glass for the price .
I currently have the Accupower cegmented circle in green. It's a little longer, still light weight. Has a better eyebox, and better glass, it's 1-4, where the VXR is 1.25-4, which didn't bother me in the least.
The Accupower has a better reticle for distance in my opinion. Both are fast at shorter range. The VXR is better in the daytime illumination.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either, but the Accupower to me is better, by a small margin.
I also have a Steiner 1-4, europtic has them on close out for $699, super nice scope and better then the ACCUPOINT and VXR.

jstalford
12-08-15, 15:22
I have had the VXR/ VXR patrol, only the dot illuminates. It's a very nice little , light weight scope that has some nice features like the auto shutoff, and good glass for the price .
I currently have the Accupower cegmented circle in green. It's a little longer, still light weight. Has a better eyebox, and better glass, it's 1-4, where the VXR is 1.25-4, which didn't bother me in the least.
The Accupower has a better reticle for distance in my opinion. Both are fast at shorter range. The VXR is better in the daytime illumination.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either, but the Accupower to me is better, by a small margin.
I also have a Steiner 1-4, europtic has them on close out for $699, super nice scope and better then the ACCUPOINT and VXR.

How's the Steiner reticle for use without illumination?

Voodoo_Man
12-08-15, 16:34
http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html

Thats the review for the vxr patrol, i currently own an accupower. Ill say that they are both good optics. If you want more of an rds then getting the firedot is good, the 1.25x is basically 1x with a very small standoff.

If you want true 1x and awesomely good glass the accupower is it. I have a grn milsquare accupower and the glass is really good, almost as good as my uso sr4c.

golfer
12-08-15, 17:32
Thanks so much for your replies that is a big help.
I'm really new to the AR type of rifles other than my military experience.
I've since also run into the Vortex Razor which from what I can tell may be a great scope for me. It offers long eye relief, true 1 power and I like the moa reticle. I also like the 6 power vs the 4 for my older eyes.
Any thoughts from you folks relative to the Vortex vs: the others listed.
Apologies for running this on.
Best wishes to all.

cop1211
12-08-15, 17:53
Vortex 1-6 if you can.

CH_LA
12-09-15, 09:50
I have the vx-r (not patrol) version with the circle dot reticle. I compared it side by side with the Accupower red segmented circle. I prefer the Accupower reticle and true 1x, but the firedot on the vx-r is significantly brighter in my opinion. Based on the costs and my preference for an Aimpoint bright reticle, I didn't think the Accupower was $200+ better than the vx-r. I decided to hold off until I can get a 1-6. FWIW, the vx-r has done everything I need from 0-600+ yards on a 6920, so it's hard for me to criticize the results from that little $400 scope. Plus with a Aero Precision mount it's a nice small and light package.

cop1211
12-09-15, 15:10
Steiner is daytime bright.

Framer
12-12-15, 16:35
The Trijicon Accupower 1-4 with the segmented reticle is excellent, I highly recommend it.

golfer
12-13-15, 17:36
Finally decided on the Vortex Razor 1x6. Thanks to everyone for you help and advice.

Hochsitz
12-14-15, 17:51
Finally decided on the Vortex Razor 1x6. Thanks to everyone for you help and advice.
Mind if I ask how much you paid? From the outside it looks like you were in the market for something half the price of the Vortex. If your real price point was the Vortex that opens up a whole other world in potential choices.

golfer
12-14-15, 19:30
Hochsitz: funny you should ask as my price point started around $400. It seemed to grow from there. I'm new to this game, been a shooter and reloader all my life, but never owned a M4 or one of its derivatives. I've spent considerable time reviewing what was available and I'm afraid my price point went up from there.
When I wrote my post above, I had two optics in mind, but as I included different things I wanted to do with the rifle, I had to change objectives.
That's pretty much how I have stopped with the Vortex at this point.
Thanks for asking, hope that answers the question.
Best wishes.

Hochsitz
12-14-15, 20:53
Hochsitz: funny you should ask as my price point started around $400. It seemed to grow from there. I'm new to this game, been a shooter and reloader all my life, but never owned a M4 or one of its derivatives. I've spent considerable time reviewing what was available and I'm afraid my price point went up from there.
When I wrote my post above, I had two optics in mind, but as I included different things I wanted to do with the rifle, I had to change objectives.
That's pretty much how I have stopped with the Vortex at this point.
Thanks for asking, hope that answers the question.
Best wishes.
I appreciate your honesty golfer and hope you are happy with your purchase.

For the benefit of others reading, the two manufacturers initially mentioned also make 1-6 scopes at that same pricepoint and SIGNIFICANTLY less weight.

Vortex Razor 1-6 25.2 oz
Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 19.2 oz
Leupold VX-6 1-6 14.6 oz

That puts the Vortex 31% heavier than Trijicon and 72% heavier than the Leupold. People spend a lot of money to pull that amount of weight out of their rifle.

golfer
12-14-15, 21:40
Hochsitz: Just a friendly reply to your last statement, I believe Trijicon and Leupold are excellent products and own some of them.
The reason I chose the heavier Vortex over the others was based on sight quality. The view from the Vortex is something to be appreciated, it has a great sightbox and excellent adjustment precision. I want to use my rifle for short range varmint hunting as wall as playing around and thought those were important for me.
Each of us has to decide on our own merit. Thank you for sharing some of the differences as they each have to be taken into account.
Best to you.