PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic helmets??

texancarbine73
12-09-15, 17:46
I tried a search but didn't find anything so excuse me if it has been covered.
I want to participate in some CQB courses and I need a ballistic helmet for them.
I'm a civilian and would like some input about the different cuts/models available?
I was thinking the MICH/ACH seems kind of standard but I have no idea what cut would work better in prone position?
Thanks for your help guys!

TXBK
12-09-15, 17:50
I don't think you will be seeing much prone position in a CQB class, unless you fall down a lot.

RIDE
12-09-15, 17:56
I don't think you will be seeing much prone position in a CQB class, unless you fall down a lot.

But CoD???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchTheWorldBern
12-09-15, 19:38
If had to pick a helmet with no concrete concerns (compatibility, standardization, cost, whatever), it'd probably still be a Crye Airframe.

Is it required for your class, though? Can you go into more detail about your needs?

texancarbine73
12-09-15, 20:02
Yeah the Cry is very nice indeed but my only needs are protection. Not thinking about NVs or any other accessory.
Price and fit are main issues since it will be used exclusively in class.
I can't see myself using it in any other scenario without looking ridiculous since I'm not MIL/ LEO and also it would attract too much attention and I want to be gray.
Thanks!

If had to pick a helmet with no concrete concerns (compatibility, standardization, cost, whatever), it'd probably still be a Crye Airframe.

Is it required for your class, though? Can you go into more detail about your needs?

LTMattyL
12-09-15, 22:00
Check out TNVC. They have a wide selection from ops core to more budget models.

https://tnvc.com/shop/category/helmets/

texancarbine73
12-09-15, 22:47
Ill check them out thanks!

Check out TNVC. They have a wide selection from ops core to more budget models.

https://tnvc.com/shop/category/helmets/

WatchTheWorldBern
12-10-15, 16:36
Yeah the Cry is very nice indeed but my only needs are protection. Not thinking about NVs or any other accessory.
Price and fit are main issues since it will be used exclusively in class.
I can't see myself using it in any other scenario without looking ridiculous since I'm not MIL/ LEO and also it would attract too much attention and I want to be gray.
Thanks!

What do you mean by protection? ie are you worried about frag, friendly fire, rifle, pistol, etc? None of the above?

I don't know what your class involves, but most civilian classes aren't going to put you in any real danger, in which case a bump helmet is viable and much cheaper (not to mention a lot lighter, not regulated or illegal anywhere, and just sort of generally useful).

If you want an armored helmet, there are still different grades and styles, so you should think about what kind of threats you would want it to protect against. If price is the main factor, I think you can get older style ACH / MICH for relatively cheap (a few hundred if you shop around), but it will be cumbersome compared to what's popular these days.

TNVC is a good company, but they're selling the top end of what's out there, more or less. May not be what you're looking for.

Treehopr
12-10-15, 20:40
I want to participate in some CQB courses and I need a ballistic helmet for them.
I'm a civilian and would like some input about the different cuts/models available?
I was thinking the MICH/ACH seems kind of standard but I have no idea what cut would work better in prone position?

You can shop on eBay for a used MICH of questionable origin and probably get something for under $200.

If you'd rather have something new and not worry about buying stolen property go with Own The Night: https://ownthenight.com/sale.html

Unless you have a small head, go with a size large helmet as it will make wearing electronic hearing protection much more comfortable; a 2001 "gunfighter" or "high cut" helmet will also help alleviate pressure on your head if wearing electronic ear pro.

ARC rails will be nice to have if you decide to run a go-pro or a flashlight, other than that I haven't found any other reason to have them.

Team Wendy EPIC and EPIC Air pad systems will make a noticeable difference in comfort, Ops Core H-Nape chin strap is almost mandatory if you want helmet to stay in place.

If you have the money and prefer to have something that is set up right out of the packaging, go with a Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic Helmet.

FWIW, I've cycle through PASGT, PASGT with Oregon Aero upgrade, MICH 2000 (standard issue as well as with above mentioned upgrades), MICH 2001 and Ops Core Ballistic Helmets. If I had to buy something brand new tomorrow, I'd get the Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic.

Edited to add: Ops Core and Crye Airframe availability are also hit or miss- especially in the size you need when you need it.

WatchTheWorldBern
12-10-15, 20:51
ARC rails are good for ear pro if you run Comtacs (you'll most likely need a second set and just leave them mounted on the rails) or Sordins (you'll need Iron Forged SARAs).

Why the preference for the TW Exfil over the Ops Core? (I have no experience with TW, was considering getting a bump helmet and deciding between theirs and Ops Core)

Treehopr
12-11-15, 03:13
ARC rails are good for ear pro if you run Comtacs (you'll most likely need a second set and just leave them mounted on the rails) or Sordins (you'll need Iron Forged SARAs).

Why the preference for the TW Exfil over the Ops Core? (I have no experience with TW, was considering getting a bump helmet and deciding between theirs and Ops Core)

Comtacs and Sordins are additional cost plus it also forces you have a set of ear pro dedicated to the helmet. Also, if you take your helmet off then you'll be without electronic ear pro. For the intended use described by the OP, rail mounted ear pro is probably more than he needs.

Team Wendy Exfil has the Wilcox shroud as a standard option rather the less quality consistent Ops Core VAS shroud if mounting NVG's, from the few Exfils I've messed around with it is subjectively more comfortable and is much more available.

It took me six months of looking before GSS Gear had an Ops Core ballistic in the size and color that I wanted a few years ago. You can pretty much order a TW Exfil whenever you want nowadays.

Jim D
12-13-15, 21:18

What CQB course do you need a helmet for? I can't think of any worth taking.

if it's an LE class, and you're in LE, it shouldn't be that hard to borrow one for the duration of the class.

If you are set on buying one, get an ACH size large for the lowest price you can, and put Team Wendy Epic pads in it.

If you're not making a career out of it, there is no need for a TW/OpsCore/Crye grade helmet.

texancarbine73
12-15-15, 10:44
Thanks gents! Plenty info to make a good choice
Cheers

Wake27
12-15-15, 11:36
Unless you have a small head, go with a size large helmet as it will make wearing electronic hearing protection much more comfortable; a 2001 "gunfighter" or "high cut" helmet will also help alleviate pressure on your head if wearing electronic ear pro.

ARC rails will be nice to have if you decide to run a go-pro or a flashlight, other than that I haven't found any other reason to have them.

Team Wendy EPIC and EPIC Air pad systems will make a noticeable difference in comfort, Ops Core H-Nape chin strap is almost mandatory if you want helmet to stay in place.

If you have the money and prefer to have something that is set up right out of the packaging, go with a Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic Helmet.

FWIW, I've cycle through PASGT, PASGT with Oregon Aero upgrade, MICH 2000 (standard issue as well as with above mentioned upgrades), MICH 2001 and Ops Core Ballistic Helmets. If I had to buy something brand new tomorrow, I'd get the Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic.

Edited to add: Ops Core and Crye Airframe availability are also hit or miss- especially in the size you need when you need it.

Pretty much all of this is exactly what I was going to write. My current ACH (bought from a former LEO on here) has the new version TW Epic Air pads and an H-Nape. The older Epic Air pads are good, the new ones are great. I think the TW Ballistic is also lighter than the Ops Core and Crye offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texancarbine73
12-15-15, 21:41
cool thanks!

Outlander Systems
12-16-15, 19:25
If you don't absolutely-positively-justgottahaveit need ballistic protection, just pick up a Protec and be done with it.

texancarbine73
12-16-15, 20:35
If you don't absolutely-positively-justgottahaveit need ballistic protection, just pick up a Protec and be done with it.

I do need since it's required. I might ask for a loaner