PDA

View Full Version : New Gen4 Glock 19 - Multiple Serial Numbers? (Updated; Matching Case Found)

zibby43
12-10-15, 04:32
Update (See Post #12 for more information): The store I purchased the weapon from had the case and envelope that matches my new Gen4 G19.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen,

I just picked up a brand new Gen4 G19.

The serial numbers on the slide, frame, and barrel all match (i.e., they are identical).

However, the serial number on the envelope containing the spent casings is different. The serial number on the envelope is identical to the serial number on the Glock case's exterior red sticker.

In sum, the handgun itself has one serial number (same number on slide, barrel, and most significantly, the frame). The Glock hard case and casing envelope share a different serial number.

What the heck is going on here? Anybody experience something like this before?

Additional info: This gun was brand new and fresh off the truck. It arrived at my local gun store (from the distributor, I'm guessing) literally moments before I arrived. The case had: 3 magazines, that plastic "speed loader," the 4 backstraps, the red Glock lock, cleaning rod, cleaning brush, etc.

Most importantly, I'm confident that the serial number on the weapon itself was used for Form 4473 (as this was the serial number reflected on my receipt).

I most certainly have no use for the spent casings (I'm hearing that some of the "freshest" Glocks no longer ship with them anyway) so I don't care about the serial number on that envelope. And I really don't have to worry about the serial number on the case either, as I can easily peel that off.

I guess I'm just trying to ascertain 1) whether my laid back response to this situation is the reasonable one; and 2) whether anyone else has encountered this situation.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Doublestack45
12-10-15, 04:49
Let me guess....test fire was on a Friday?

zibby43
12-10-15, 05:13
Let me guess....test fire was on a Friday?

Haha nope. The envelope states 6/11/15 (a Thursday). The case/envelope serial number starts with A.

The G19 itself (frame, barrel, slide) has a serial number that begins with BA.

My plan is this:

1) Confirm with my LGS that the frame number was used for all paperwork (99.99% sure this is the case).

2) Ask whether the "matching" hard case is in their possession (if not, this must've been a mix-up by either Glock or a distributor).

3) If the gun's serial number was used for the paperwork and there is no "matching" case to be found, I'll be storing the envelope somewhere and tearing the serial number sticker off my case. Even if it was the proper/matching serial number on the case, I don't see the benefit of advertising it.

Reasonable? I'm perfectly happy with the G19 itself. Just had never encountered the situation where the case/envelope had a different serial number. Just wanted to hear the thoughts of the members here as there is a wealth of valuable experience on this board.

Fordtough25
12-10-15, 05:30
Sounds like the dude at the fun shop grabbed the wrong tupperware box to me. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're OCD times a thousand like some are.

BBossman
12-10-15, 06:58
Sounds like the dude at the fun shop grabbed the wrong tupperware box to me. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're OCD times a thousand like some are.

Probably this... If it were me, I'd go back and get the correct box.

DirectTo
12-10-15, 09:10
Is the serial number on the fired case envelope and box very close to your gun serial, like a number or two off? Could have been an honest mistake, just a guy just grabbing the wrong box after test fire.

The FFL has to use the frame serial number, so your 4473 should be just fine.

Beat Trash
12-10-15, 10:29
I've seen a where the gun store got the boxes mixed up by accident when the guns were taken out so that the serial numbers could be entered into their books. Rare, but it can happen. Which is why I always verify the serial number on the gun is the number going on the 4473.

cathellsk
12-10-15, 13:07
I've seen it with Glocks at my local dealer, usually off by 1 or 2 numbers. Austrians are people too and people make mistakes. As long as the pistol is right I wouldn't worry about it.

BillBond
12-10-15, 13:15

Yeah me too.

zibby43
12-10-15, 15:17

Yep, I am thinking you're right. I'm only OCD about the things I can control. So if I'm unable to track down the matching box, I will be completely fine as all I really care about is the pistol.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

I'll give it a shot.

Is the serial number on the fired case envelope and box very close to your gun serial, like a number or two off? Could have been an honest mistake, just a guy just grabbing the wrong box after test fire.

The FFL has to use the frame serial number, so your 4473 should be just fine.

They are completely different/unique numbers. Thank you for your input! That makes sense about the FFL having to use the frame (as that's the serial number that matters).

I've seen a where the gun store got the boxes mixed up by accident when the guns were taken out so that the serial numbers could be entered into their books. Rare, but it can happen. Which is why I always verify the serial number on the gun is the number going on the 4473.

Makes sense. Now I at least understand how this could've happened, even with a new pistol. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I've seen it with Glocks at my local dealer, usually off by 1 or 2 numbers. Austrians are people too and people make mistakes. As long as the pistol is right I wouldn't worry about it.

If the store doesn't have the case, that is the mindset I will be rolling with. Thanks!

Flankenstein
12-10-15, 15:21
It happens.

zibby43
12-10-15, 19:26
As an update, I called the shop and they were very happy that I informed them of the mix-up.

The shop did in fact have the matching case that goes with my pistol.

I went in and swapped out the cases so now, everything matches (frame, barrel, slide, envelope, hard case).

My gun was actually test fired on September 24, 2015 (as opposed to 6/11/15). So, it's even "fresher" than I expected.

Many thanks to everyone for providing feedback/suggestions.

As an aside, if this situation ever occurs to you, call the store/vendor you acquired the weapon from ASAP. Based on what I was told, the gun store would have been prohibited from selling the weapon they had left because they had the incorrect case/serial number.

MountainRaven
12-10-15, 22:31
As an update, I called the shop and they were very happy that I informed them of the mix-up.

The shop did in fact have the matching case that goes with my pistol.

I went in and swapped out the cases so now, everything matches (frame, barrel, slide, envelope, hard case).

My gun was actually test fired on September 24, 2015 (as opposed to 6/11/15). So, it's even "fresher" than I expected.

Many thanks to everyone for providing feedback/suggestions.

As an aside, if this situation ever occurs to you, call the store/vendor you acquired the weapon from ASAP. Based on what I was told, the gun store would have been prohibited from selling the weapon they had left because they had the incorrect case/serial number.

This may be store policy or it may be the result of local regulations WRT "ballistic finger printing", but it is not part of Federal regulation.

As others have mentioned, this sort of thing happens. Not very often, but more often than most would like.

moonshot
12-10-15, 22:33
Now that the mystery has been solved, I would like to drift this a little. If you live in a state that does not require the empty brass to be submitted to the database, and you are given the brass when you pick up your gun, is there any reason to keep it?

I don't mean "do you have to keep it", I mean "is there some reason it might make sense to hold on to it"?

zibby43
12-10-15, 23:18
This may be store policy or it may be the result of local regulations WRT "ballistic finger printing", but it is not part of Federal regulation.

As others have mentioned, this sort of thing happens. Not very often, but more often than most would like.

As an attorney, I agree that there would have been no federal statute or regulation that would have controlled in that situation. That is one of the reasons I wasn't too bent out of shape about the situation initially.

Thank you for your input my friend.

Now that the mystery has been solved, I would like to drift this a little. If you live in a state that does not require the empty brass to be submitted to the database, and you are given the brass when you pick up your gun, is there any reason to keep it?

I don't mean "do you have to keep it", I mean "is there some reason it might make sense to hold on to it"?

In my State (which is, fortunately, a very good one to live in as far as the Second Amendment is concerned), we are not required to submit the brass. Nor are we required to "register" our firearms (thank goodness).

There isn't necessarily a particularly compelling reason to keep the envelope/casings. I've heard that having a pistol with 5 matching serial numbers (frame, slide, barrel, envelope, and hard case) can help with resale value. I don't know how much I buy into that as someone that sends their pistol into Glock for a new barrel, slide, etc. will likely end up with a gun without matching serial numbers.

The employee at the store also said that if you trade a pistol in at a LGS, the employees typically like seeing matching serial numbers when it comes to the frame of the weapon itself and its case.

Note: These are all things I've read/been told . . . not my general speculation.

BatteryOperated
12-11-15, 08:54
It is also probably one of the last Glocks shipped out with the shell casings. The company stopped shipping casings in October '15.

Flankenstein
12-11-15, 10:43

New Glocks are not shipping with casings.

zibby43
12-11-15, 18:25
It is also probably one of the last Glocks shipped out with the shell casings. The company stopped shipping casings in October '15.

Excellent point. I was aware that the most recently produced Glocks were shipping without spent casings. I was not aware of the specific cutoff date. Good stuff, thanks.