PDA

View Full Version : ? What to replace my Eotech exps2 with ( refund thing)

Skar
12-10-15, 19:20
Sent my Eotech exps2 in today for the full refund offer. And now what to replace it with?
I still have my g33 magnifer so a red dot makes sense . The esps2 and g33 was set up for 1/3 cowitness
And I would like to keep it that way . Would the Aimpoit pro be A good choice .
$600 max budget with mount .

Ernst
12-10-15, 19:22
Aimpoint H-1

WatchTheWorldBern
12-10-15, 20:15
T-2 would be my preference (a little over your budget, but not by a ton), but there's nothing wrong with the Aimpoint PRO from what I've read. If you want a Micro, you can probably get a T-1 or H-1 inside your budget, and they're still good.

Defaultmp3
12-10-15, 23:44
IME, the T-1 looks pretty shitty through the magnifier, like a comma. My RMR looked much better, though it has an exposed emitter, so yeah.

Wake27
12-11-15, 02:10
The H/T-1 are worthless through a magnifier. IMO, that is a much bigger issue than the EOTech thing because it will affect anyone with a magnifier and first gen micro. But you don't hear anyone whining about that because Aimpoint is God's gift to the world...

Ledanek
12-11-15, 02:38
vote on H1
then again my need is for HD only.
the only time the H1+ Aimpoint 3x magnifier came in useful by accident was during a carbine class. the instructor saw that I had a gas mask and offer if I want to train with it. I said why not, then realized my prescription glasses could not fit inside the gas mask. Had to try shooting without prescription glasses but was missing on 25 yard targets. I then realized I had my 3x mag and it was like night and day. I was hitting steel, not accurate, but was hitting it at least.
visit the EE threads constantly for savings

your eyes are different with others.

Skar
12-11-15, 06:07
T-2 would be my preference (a little over your budget, but not by a ton), but there's nothing wrong with the Aimpoint PRO from what I've read. If you want a Micro, you can probably get a T-1 or H-1 inside your budget, and they're still good.

Ok can you 1/3 cowitness the T2.
Or should I take the 7 mm riser off
The g33.
I liked the Eotech exps2 using 1/3 cowitness. But it looks like it has a lot more
Window then the t2

Maybe I should take off front sight
And sell g33 and get a 1x 4 ?

Defaultmp3
12-11-15, 09:30
Ok can you 1/3 cowitness the T2.
Or should I take the 7 mm riser off
The g33.
I liked the Eotech exps2 using 1/3 cowitness. But it looks like it has a lot more
Window then the t2

Maybe I should take off front sight
And sell g33 and get a 1x 4 ?
I have been able to use a T-1 in a 1/3 cowitness with a G33, at least as well as the shitty dot allows; I"ll be putting a T-2 in a 1/3 cowitness soon (it's in the mail to me). The window is definitely much larger, and there might be zero issues, so that you have to zero the Aimpoint first, then re-zero with the G33.

Mysteryman
12-11-15, 18:43
The H/T-1 are worthless through a magnifier. IMO, that is a much bigger issue than the EOTech thing because it will affect anyone with a magnifier and first gen micro. But you don't hear anyone whining about that because Aimpoint is God's gift to the world...

magnifiers are a bandaid solution at best. Naturally viewing a 3x or 4x magnified image of the dot may be less than ideal. We don't need to mention that you should be looking at the target and not the dot do we? Personally I find magnifiers a waste of time and money. For less weight and less money a fixed low power optic like an ACOG or even an LPV itself can be had. Seeing as the reddot is capable to around 300 yards, there isn't much need for the magnifier for the majority of shots taken. The extra weight hanging off the side of the rifle is a pain in the ass, as is the additional snag issues it presents.

As for Aimpoint being God's gift to the world. I wouldn't go that far, but at least they didn't lie about their products capabilities. Hard to knock on Aimpoint optics when they have a pretty golden track record for performance. Eotech is like the Maglite of the reddot arena.

To the OP and the original question. If you're still looking for a reddot, then an Aimpoint is an absolute no brainer. If you're looking for something else, then more details are needed before a suggestion can be made.

MM

Hmac
12-11-15, 19:15
I use my G33 with a couple of EXPS3's (lower 1/3) and a couple of Aimpoint PROs. Works fine with both. I've tried it on an Aimpoint T-1 (4 moa) and that sucks pretty bad.

Wake27
12-11-15, 19:37
magnifiers are a bandaid solution at best. Naturally viewing a 3x or 4x magnified image of the dot may be less than ideal. We don't need to mention that you should be looking at the target and not the dot do we? Personally I find magnifiers a waste of time and money. For less weight and less money a fixed low power optic like an ACOG or even an LPV itself can be had. Seeing as the reddot is capable to around 300 yards, there isn't much need for the magnifier for the majority of shots taken. The extra weight hanging off the side of the rifle is a pain in the ass, as is the additional snag issues it presents.

As for Aimpoint being God's gift to the world. I wouldn't go that far, but at least they didn't lie about their products capabilities. Hard to knock on Aimpoint optics when they have a pretty golden track record for performance. Eotech is like the Maglite of the reddot arena.

To the OP and the original question. If you're still looking for a reddot, then an Aimpoint is an absolute no brainer. If you're looking for something else, then more details are needed before a suggestion can be made.

MM

Dude, spare me the rhetoric. I know what a magnifier brings to the table. ACOGs suck indoors. Aimpoints are great optics, but at least the H/T-1s suck if you ever want to put magnification behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skar
12-11-15, 19:37
I use my G33 with a couple of EXPS3's (lower 1/3) and a couple of Aimpoint PROs. Works fine with both. I've tried it on an Aimpoint T-1 (4 moa) and that sucks pretty bad.

So you like the pro with the g33 . Laure sells the pro and LT129 mount (1/3 cowittness) for about $575
I'm leaning this way but $175 more the t2 would be sweet .

cop1211
12-11-15, 19:44
Trijicon MRO.

Wake27
12-11-15, 19:57
So you like the pro with the g33 . Laure sells the pro and LT129 mount (1/3 cowittness) for about $575

Why not the H2? The pro plus magnifier would be hefty.

Skar
12-11-15, 20:36
Why not the H2? The pro plus magnifier would be hefty.

Ok what's the difference . I'll look .

After further review is it just night vision .
I don't need that . I'll look in to it .
Thanks

$43 difference

Skar
12-11-15, 21:04
Ok I have decided on the H2 or T2
Now to find best price with or with out mount .
Thanks all
Most helpful .

Hmac
12-11-15, 21:18

I can't speak to the T-2, but I've always thought that the T-1 was exceptionally overrated and would NOT be inclined to ever buy a T-2. OTOH I really like that PRO and it works very very well with my G33. I swap that magnifier between several different rifles.

ST911
12-11-15, 21:35
I can't speak to the T-2, but I've always thought that the T-1 was exceptionally overrated and would NOT be inclined to ever buy a T-2. OTOH I really like that PRO and it works very very well with my G33. I swap that magnifier between several different rifles.

Can you expand on that?

Hmac
12-12-15, 07:13
Can you expand on that?

My long experience with the T-1 convinced me that for my expectations and needs, the form factor is of negligible benefit and the 20 mm tube makes for occasionally problematic alignment. I assume that the T-2 has been improved to eliminate my other issues like weird internal reflections and crappy dot precision (almost unusable with a magnifier), but for me it's irrelevant...not near enough benefit to justify its rather breathtaking cost for sight and mount compared to, for example, a PRO.

I will say that a couple of months ago I put that T-1 in an ADM low-pro QD mount and put it on my Benelli M2. In that application, it works great for me.

jabba21
12-12-15, 07:38
Anything Aimpoint would be a better choice than what you had.

Ryno12
12-12-15, 08:35
My long experience with the T-1 convinced me that for my expectations and needs, the form factor is of negligible benefit and the 20 mm tube makes for occasionally problematic alignment. I assume that the T-2 has been improved to eliminate my other issues like weird internal reflections and crappy dot precision (almost unusable with a magnifier), but for me it's irrelevant...not near enough benefit to justify its rather breathtaking cost for sight and mount compared to, for example, a PRO.

I will say that a couple of months ago I put that T-1 in an ADM low-pro QD mount and put it on my Benelli M2. In that application, it works great for me.

Yeah, the Micros have zero appeal to me. The Pros are "just ok". Maybe if Aimpoint was capable of providing a decent mount with their RDSs, I'd give it more reconsideration. However, there are other attributes with their stuff that I'm not thrilled about, so probably not.

The whole Aimpoint fanboyism gets pretty tired here.

Anything Aimpoint would be a better choice than what you had.

jabba21
12-12-15, 10:07
Not a fanboy, but I do recommend things that work. If your main gripe with Aimpoint is they don't provide a decent mount, that's a pretty lame excuse. I could care less about whether they offer a mount. I care about having an optic that works without fail. I can go elsewhere and get a third party mount of excellent quality.

I really want to like Eotech. I have owned Eotechs. But I can't recommend them.

Ryno12
12-12-15, 10:19
Not a fanboy, but I do recommend things that work. If your main gripe with Aimpoint is they don't provide a decent mount, that's a pretty lame excuse. I could care less about whether they offer a mount. I care about having an optic that works without fail. I can go elsewhere and get a third party mount of excellent quality.

I really want to like Eotech. I have owned Eotechs. But I can't recommend them.

Having to spend an additional $100-150+ on a mount for an already overpriced optic is a lame excuse?

And no, it's not my main gripe, it's one of my many gripes.

ST911
12-12-15, 10:21
My long experience with the T-1 convinced me that for my expectations and needs, the form factor is of negligible benefit and the 20 mm tube makes for occasionally problematic alignment. I assume that the T-2 has been improved to eliminate my other issues like weird internal reflections and crappy dot precision (almost unusable with a magnifier), but for me it's irrelevant...not near enough benefit to justify its rather breathtaking cost for sight and mount compared to, for example, a PRO. I will say that a couple of months ago I put that T-1 in an ADM low-pro QD mount and put it on my Benelli M2. In that application, it works great for me.

Thanks.

Yeah, the Micros have zero appeal to me. The Pros are "just ok". Maybe if Aimpoint was capable of providing a decent mount with their RDSs, I'd give it more reconsideration.

If your main gripe with Aimpoint is they don't provide a decent mount, that's a pretty lame excuse. I could care less about whether they offer a mount. I care about having an optic that works without fail. I can go elsewhere and get a third party mount of excellent quality.

Whatever they put in the box, someone will want something different, and complain about the effect on purchase price.

jabba21
12-12-15, 10:24
It's the only gripe you listed. But again, I'm ok with spending more for an optic (and a mount) that work. Eotechs are not really bargain priced either.

Artifact
12-12-15, 10:30
MRO with ADM mount, I know, I know, going agains the M4C grain here.

Ryno12
12-12-15, 10:41
It's the only gripe you listed. But again, I'm ok with spending more for an optic (and a mount) that work. Eotechs are not really bargain priced either.

I stated that there was other things that I didn't like but I didn't go into detail. Hmac touched on some which is why I quoted him in agreement.

It's ok for us to disagree. Everyone's needs & wants vary from one to another.

Hmac
12-12-15, 10:43
I care about having an optic that works without fail.

I agree. Although I am inclined to prefer Aimpoint (the PRO at least) because of its cost-efficiency, I have two Eotechs...both have worked without fail for several years.

Wake27
12-12-15, 14:12
Personally, I couldn't buy an Aimpoint without it being a micro, but that's all personal opinion. The whole mount thing is a bit ridiculous though.

Skar
12-12-15, 15:47
Looked at the MRO and T1 side by side today.
T1 less blue ? Maybe more clear .
MRO better price and I like the larger
veiw . Now thinking MRO
Can't beat the aimpoint track record.
How are the mro's holding up ?

Rotorhead84
12-12-15, 16:43
Probably looking at a T1/H1. Or sell the magnifier and get an acog.

jabba21
12-12-15, 18:08
Looked at the MRO and T1 side by side today.
T1 less blue ? Maybe more clear .
MRO better price and I like the larger
veiw . Now thinking MRO
Can't beat the aimpoint track record.
How are the mro's holding up ?

I almost bought an MRO but then I started seeing negative reviews come in.

cop1211
12-12-15, 19:02
I've got 2 MRO's with a third on the way, no problems, like them better than my micro T1, and H1.

Mysteryman
12-13-15, 00:01
Dude, spare me the rhetoric. I know what a magnifier brings to the table. ACOGs suck indoors. Aimpoints are great optics, but at least the H/T-1s suck if you ever want to put magnification behind it.

At a loss here. If indoors is your bread and butter then what do you need a magnifier for? As for ACOG's indoors, they're easy to use, you just have to let your eyes do the BAC aspect and go with it. The 1.5x and 2x ACOG's are even easier to use. Their downside is the limited eye relief.

MM

Skar
12-13-15, 06:02
I see Botach has the MRO and Amerian defence mount for $493

Can't beat this price ? I have never used Botach can I trust them.

Hmac
12-13-15, 06:20
I see Botach has the BRO and Amerian defence mount for $493

No. Botach is hit-or-miss. Mostly "miss". http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Botach_com

It's very popular to replace the mount that comes on the PRO but I have thousands of rounds through two of them and two carbine courses and I have no issues with the stock mount. You can always replace it later if it doesn't work for you.

Ryno12
12-13-15, 06:29
No. Botach is hit-or-miss. Mostly "miss". http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Botach_com

It's very popular to replace the mount that comes on the PRO but I have thousands of rounds through two of them and two carbine courses and I have no issues with the stock mount. You can always replace it later if it doesn't work for you.

Except I believe he's talking about the Trijicon MRO & not the Aimpoint PRO.

https://www.botach.com/trijicon-mro-w-american-defense-quick-release-mount-package-deal/

Skar
12-13-15, 07:33
My bad typo (MRO)

StevieJ309
12-13-15, 11:24
I see Botach has the MRO and Amerian defence mount for $493

American Defense has the same package for the same price. You have to create an account and login to see it.

Save yourself a potential headache and order it from them.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/optic-mountcombos/trijicon-combos/

Artifact
12-13-15, 11:37
American Defense has the same package for the same price. You have to create an account and login to see it.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/optic-mountcombos/trijicon-combos/

+1,

Too bad that don't offer one with the FDE mount instead of black.

Hmac
12-13-15, 11:39
Except I believe he's talking about the Trijicon MRO & not the Aimpoint PRO.

https://www.botach.com/trijicon-mro-w-american-defense-quick-release-mount-package-deal/

Ah.

But re: Botach....stay away. They are notorious.

Skar
12-13-15, 14:24

Thanks I ordered from them.I hope I like this MRO .

I looked at one in store and it had a slight blue tint . No big deal every thing else was fine .

Price is right . For a shtf purposes I think it will be fine .

Rotorhead84
12-13-15, 15:44
I've got 2 MRO's with a third on the way, no problems, like them better than my micro T1, and H1.

What makes you like them better?

Skar
12-21-15, 11:03
Got the MRO love the size and the blue tint dose not bother me or the magnification.
But the red glare I hate . And the crooked front lens. I sent it back and will get a aimpoint pro.
To bad I really wanted this to work,

Digital_Damage
12-21-15, 14:29
Got the MRO love the size and the blue tint dose not bother me or the magnification.
But the red glare I hate . And the crooked front lens. I sent it back and will get a aimpoint pro.
To bad I really wanted this to work,

The crooked front lense is normal for all Red dots that use the objective as the reflector. The Pro will be the same, but the glare should be less pronounced.

Skar
12-26-15, 19:15
American defense and Aimpoint pro

I ordered a American defense / Aimpoint pro combo and was surprised that the AD mount ( lever ) was lighter then the stock mount that came with the pro .
Still on the heavy side but no heavier then the Eotech its replacing . Also using a g33 behind it which seems to work find in the basement.
To the range tomorrow hope all is good .