PDA

View Full Version : Florida sheriffs are urging citizens to arm themselves

WillBrink
12-11-15, 08:15
Good old FL! If more people and LE would "get" it, those looking to randomly kill people in jihad, would be burned down hard by responders close by, or at least greatly hampered until the cavalry can show:

TAMPA, Florida -- With a backdrop of terrorism in California, mass shootings on college campuses and jihad in Paris, a handful of Florida sheriffs are urging citizens to arm themselves to be the first line of defense in such attacks.

That has outraged gun control advocates, who say the public is in more -- not less -- danger when there are more guns are on the street.

The debate between gun advocates and gun control supporters got new traction in recent days with some sheriffs suggesting more citizens should carry guns to protect themselves and others in case of terrorist attacks or mass shootings.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey in a video posting on his agency's Facebook page.

"Like each of you, I've had enough of terrorists and others who decide they want to target U.S. citizens because they want to make a statement or get their 15 minutes of fame," he said. "Now, more than ever before, is the time for law enforcement and citizens to be fully prepared for an attack or an active shooter scenario with the right tools to eliminate or at least disrupt the attack."

He urged those who are licensed to carry concealed firearms to have their guns with them at all times.

"You are the first line of defense," he said, "for you, your family and others around you."

Those who aren't licensed to carry a concealed firearm should take the class and get certified, he said.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd echoed Ivey's sentiments.

"I can tell you the probability of needing a firearm is remote," Judd said Thursday afternoon, "but it's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone.''

He said those who are comfortable with guns -- and can appropriately handle a firearm -- should get a gun permit and carry a gun with them.

Judd said mass killers typically take two to four minutes to carry out their plans, while the average time of response of law enforcement is more than five minutes.

"We know that we may get there to mitigate a piece of it, but we will never be there in time to prevent it," Judd said. "So that means until we arrive, we need the help of the good citizens of the community to protect themselves and to protect others."

Other sheriffs around the Tampa Bay area were unified in saying they supported the Second Amendment rights of citizens but stopped short of urging people to arm themselves in public.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri a strong opponent of open carry laws, would not comment on statements made by other sheriffs but said he had no problem with people legally and responsibly carrying firearms.

"I'm not and won't make a call to arms," he said. "That's not what I'm saying. I have no issue or concern with any citizen who decides on his or her own that they want to posses and own firearms if they are well trained and it's done in a reasonable way.''

Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee was unavailable for comment Thursday but issued a statement saying he "supports any lawful citizen's right to defend themselves while acting in accordance with Florida state and federal laws."

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said this:

Cont:

http://www.officer.com/news/12148653/sheriffs-tell-citizens-to-arm-themselves

tb-av
12-11-15, 08:39
In contrast.... good 'ole rabid Liberal VP hopeful to Hillary... yes, folks... good 'ole transplant Terry McCauliffe has declared that, Jerry Falwell Jr. calling on the students in his private VA Christian University to get their CCW and carry at school, is causing fear around the world and harming trade with VA.

That's right folks. #1 Hillary VP wannabe and current Gov. of VA Terry McCauliffe says that if you arm yourself you are harming world trade.

I'm glad somebody get's it down in FL because we still have a vile Liberal infestation up here.

Firefly
12-11-15, 08:48
Ahh...the gunshine state.

I'd live there if it weren't for all the old people and their parents.
But yeah...everybody needs a gun now.

SilverBullet432
12-11-15, 10:13
They've been beaten to it:

http://www.infowars.com/texas-sheriff-urges-residents-to-arm-themselves-amid-gun-control-push/

http://m.mrt.com/news/article_782d7b46-3636-11e4-8758-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

223to45
12-11-15, 10:34
"I can tell you the probability of needing a firearm is remote," Judd said Thursday afternoon, "but it's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone.''

I like it. :)

JS-Maine
12-11-15, 11:32
This is the talk I love to read about. FL should pursue expanding reciprocity and preferably go constitutional carry. I was surprised to see FL has no reciprocity with ME.

FL, TX, MT, GA and SC should really get on the same page.

Doc Safari
12-11-15, 13:18
Not only is it a welcome clarion call for what prudent citizens already know, but also it's a subtle admission that the police cannot protect us and we are ON OUR OWN.

Eurodriver
12-11-15, 13:32
Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri a strong opponent of open carry laws, would not comment on statements made by other sheriffs but said he had no problem with people legally and responsibly carrying firearms.

"I'm not and won't make a call to arms," he said. "That's not what I'm saying. I have no issue or concern with any citizen who decides on his or her own that they want to posses and own firearms if they are well trained and it's done in a reasonable way.''

This guy is a ****ing douche. He is the only Republican I have actively campaigned against. I ****ing hate that guy.

djegators
12-11-15, 14:10
This guy is a ****ing douche. He is the only Republican I have actively campaigned against. I ****ing hate that guy.

So then I assume you saw this quote by him:

The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”

He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”

JS-Maine
12-11-15, 14:17
Stay ready. They're showing up in FL.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/11/middle-eastern-illegal-alien-arrested-ammunition-u-s/

Bubba FAL
12-11-15, 15:14
Not just in FL. A local Sheriff in Vernon County, MO just announced that he is cutting the fee for carry permits by 40% (from $100 to $60) due to the high demand and he wants more people to get permits with less financial burden. Meanwhile, here in Jasper County, Sheriff Kaiser has stated more than once that he will issue a permit to any applicant that submits the necessary paperwork.

WillBrink
12-11-15, 17:23
Not just in FL. A local Sheriff in Vernon County, MO just announced that he is cutting the fee for carry permits by 40% (from $100 to $60) due to the high demand and he wants more people to get permits with less financial burden. Meanwhile, here in Jasper County, Sheriff Kaiser has stated more than once that he will issue a permit to any applicant that submits the necessary paperwork.

Now that's showing initiative and common sense to get more citizens to CCW in these times. Should be a Federal decree.

wildcard600
12-11-15, 19:35

Need to get that permit crap out of the way and pass constitutional carry here. We amended the state constitution last year to get rid of some wording that might have stood in the way so here's hoping.

SteyrAUG
12-11-15, 19:44
The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”

He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”

Jesus Christ, I'm not sure I've ever seen a better reason to remove somebody from office. If a CCW person made similar statements regarding LEOs and the defense of individual freedoms, they'd probably be arrested.

Benito
12-11-15, 20:04
Stay ready. They're showing up in FL.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/11/middle-eastern-illegal-alien-arrested-ammunition-u-s/

Sounds like Islamophobia to me, not to mention discrimination against undocumented persons.
Who are we to say who is and isn't here legally, or who's a "citizen", maaaaaaaaaan?

Need to get that permit crap out of the way and pass constitutional carry here. We amended the state constitution last year to get rid of some wording that might have stood in the way so here's hoping.

The Constitution is the single greatest threat to Marxist Collectivism, hence why brilliant scholarly minds like Hussein, Holder and Lynch are doing everything in their power to squash it.

usmcvet
12-11-15, 20:09
I like it. :) it is signature line material for sure!

Jesus Christ, I'm not sure I've ever seen a better reason to remove somebody from office. If a CCW person made similar statements regarding LEOs and the defense of individual freedoms, they'd probably be arrested.

Very scary.

I'm a small town chief here in VT. Today I responded to an email from a few other Chief's. NH will issue LTC to out of state folks and requires a letter from your local LE. I have always written those letters. Others were concerned with the language required. It's very straightforward. The letter basically says VT doesn't require a LTC and to the best of my knowledge the applicant isn't a felon, illegal drug user and not Brady Disqualified. If that's all true I write them a letter. I like signing NFA paperwork too! Only been asked a few times. With suppressor legal now in VT it should increase.

samuse
12-11-15, 22:36
A Marshal I shoot with told me once "You don't need a gun very much, but when you do... You need one BAD."

misanthropist
12-11-15, 23:34
it is signature line material for sure!

Very scary.

I'm a small town chief here in VT. Today I responded to an email from a few other Chief's. NH will issue LTC to out of state folks and requires a letter from your local LE. I have always written those letters. Others were concerned with the language required. It's very straightforward. The letter basically says VT doesn't require a LTC and to the best of my knowledge the applicant isn't a felon, illegal drug user and not Brady Disqualified. If that's all true I write them a letter. I like signing NFA paperwork too! Only been asked a few times. With suppressor legal now in VT it should increase.
When I was a kid, my dad (who rarely spoke at all) said to me:

"You will probably never need a gun in your entire life.

But if what you need is a gun, nothing else will do."

Changed my life.

A Marshal I shoot with told me once "You don't need a gun very much, but when you do... You need one BAD."

MegademiC
12-12-15, 00:29
When I was a kid, my dad (who rarely spoke at all) said to me:

"You will probably never need a gun in your entire life.

But if what you need is a gun, nothing else will do."

Changed my life.

I'm using that. Great line that sticks with you.

Kasich dropped OH ccw classes from 12 hr to 8, effective this yr. He's great on guns, too bad he sucks on other issues.

I can't wait to get to FL. I live and was born and raised in OH, but FL is my home. Give me a few yr to get a promotion and some experience, and I'll be joining you guys on the Gulf side.

Dienekes
12-12-15, 09:30
Wyoming only went to "shall issue" in '94; then costitutional carry a couple of years ago. Handy for me as the shall issue came in just in time--I retired from the old INS and HR 218 wasn't much help to me in my situation.

It appears that we are into a gigantic clusterfark in this country, and about the only thing tool that offers an immediate improvement on the ground is CCW (competent weapons carry) whatever it takes, as needed. Permission be damned.

Taking guidance from people who don't have as much to lose as you do is stupid.

Firefly
12-12-15, 09:41
In those dark moments, of mortal combat or imminent threat, a weapon is the only thing left that gives you any control over what may be the last moments of your life.

Some of the greatest therapy for rape victims is self defense. I've seen females do that and will absorb it like a new religion.
Literally born again hard.

And they say, "if I only knew then what I know now. If I'd only had the ability I have now".

Bad people only go after people they think they can take.
If people know someone will shove a 5.56 up their ass and start mag dumping, they get a lot less gung ho.

I read somewhere once in an old Vietnam War memoir as a kid. Dude said that the Ace of Spades didn't mean anything to the VC until they started associating it with volunteer airborne units. Then they started picking their fights more wisely. Like their propagandists said all GIs were scared conscripts dragged off a farm, never fired a gun before, would run at first sound of gunfire, that blacks were still slaves wanting freedom, blah blah blah.

Then he said they learned the hard way that volunteer pipe hitters meant volunteer pipe hitters.

WillBrink
12-12-15, 09:56
In those dark moments, of mortal combat or imminent threat, a weapon is the only thing left that gives you any control over what may be the last moments of your life.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

jpmuscle
12-12-15, 10:14

Some of the greatest therapy for rape victims is self defense. I've seen females do that and will absorb it like a new religion.
Literally born again hard.

And they say, "if I only knew then what I know now. If I'd only had the ability I have now".

Bad people only go after people they think they can take.
If people know someone will shove a 5.56 up their ass and start mag dumping, they get a lot less gung ho.

I read somewhere once in an old Vietnam War memoir as a kid. Dude said that the Ace of Spades didn't mean anything to the VC until they started associating it with volunteer airborne units. Then they started picking their fights more wisely. Like their propagandists said all GIs were scared conscripts dragged off a farm, never fired a gun before, would run at first sound of gunfire, that blacks were still slaves wanting freedom, blah blah blah.

Then he said they learned the hard way that volunteer pipe hitters meant volunteer pipe hitters.
Good stuff. Also check your PMs. Inbox appears full.

Answer The Bell

Firefly
12-12-15, 10:21
Cleared