PDA

View Full Version : A Hero Passes

WillBrink
12-11-15, 11:26
A hero passes. A real hero, not the BS that passes for a hero today. Tibor is the only holocaust survivor to be given the MOH for deeds done in Korea. I can't imagine his strength or will and character that drove such a person after all he'd been through. A man who obviously understood the value of what Freedom and Liberty means, now so taken for granted.

Tibor Rubin, a Hungarian-born Holocaust survivor who joined the U.S. Army out of gratitude for his liberation from the Nazis, then earned the Medal of Honor for heroism in the Korean War, died of natural causes Saturday in Garden Grove. He was 86.

Rubin had a Hungarian accent and a Jackie Mason-like sense of humor, said his nephew, Robert Huntly. Rubin's parents and younger sister were killed by the Nazis, and wounds and starvation had left him disabled. But his comic demeanor betrayed little trace of this history, Huntly said.

After his military service, Rubin worked for years at his brother's Long Beach liquor store and said little of his wartime deeds, which included defending a hill single-handedly for 24 hours and saving the lives of as many as 40 of his fellow POWs in a camp in North Korea, according to his biographer Daniel M. Cohen.

Decades later, supporters successfully argued the Jewish corporal had been denied recognition during the war because of the anti-Semitic leanings of a superior. Rubin was called to the White House in 2005, 55 years after his combat service — to receive the medal from President George W. Bush. An Army spokeswoman said at the time that the government's investigation had found evidence that wartime papers recommending that he receive citations for bravery had been tossed out.

Rubin later showed an L.A. Times writer a photo of Bush giving him the medal. It depicted "the little midget and the nice-looking guy," he joked.

Tibor "Teddy" Rubin was born June 18, 1929, in Paszto, Hungary. His father, Ferenc, and stepmother, Rosa, tried to send him to Switzerland to save him from the Nazis. But the 13-year-old Rubin was caught at the Italian border and sent to the notorious Mauthausen slave labor camp in Austria, Cohen said.

Cont:

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-tibor-rubin-20151208-story.html

Averageman
12-11-15, 14:34
What a Survivor and a Noble Soul.

T2C
12-11-15, 15:26
Mr. Rubin was a real warrior.

May he rest in peace.

Fair winds and following seas.

Colt guy
12-11-15, 19:14
He is really a hero, a true hero.

This world is less now that he has gone.

SteyrAUG
12-11-15, 19:41
Much better than all those recently awarded the Medal of Freedom.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/11/16/president-obama-names-recipients-presidential-medal-freedom

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/ff72c548f364abe7e2d302e6205ba72559780132/0_2_3000_1800/master/3000.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

Yogi Berra (posthumous)

Bonnie Carroll

Shirley Chisholm (posthumous)

Emilio Estefan

Gloria Estefan

Billy Frank, Jr. (posthumous)

Lee Hamilton

Katherine G. Johnson

Willie Mays

Barbara Mikulski

Itzhak Perlman

William Ruckelshaus

Stephen Sondheim

Steven Spielberg

Barbra Streisand

James Taylor

Minoru Yasui (posthumous)

Benito
12-11-15, 20:08
If we're going to have foreign-born Presidents, why can't it be a true American-at-heart like this, rather than a Jakartan-at-heart Muslim like Shitstain?

SeriousStudent
12-11-15, 20:42
Mr. Rubin was a real warrior.

May he rest in peace.

Fair winds and following seas.

Very well said, and a fine epitaph for Mr. Rubin.

Vandal
12-12-15, 00:05
His wars are finally over. Rest in Peace sir.

ThirdWatcher
12-12-15, 02:42
I think I saw an interview with him in which he said that the anti-Semitic "leader" made him a hero out of him by constantly putting him in harm's way (hoping to get rid of him). What a sense of humor (and strong spirit). R.I.P. Cpl. Rubin.

titsonritz
12-13-15, 01:44
I think I saw an interview with him in which he said that the anti-Semitic "leader" made him a hero out of him by constantly putting him in harm's way (hoping to get rid of him). What a sense of humor (and strong spirit). R.I.P. Cpl. Rubin.
Rubin was excited to be able to go into action. But the sergeant of his platoon, a Southerner named Watson, hated Jews and began “volunteering” him for hazardous patrols. Each time he returned from one of them, Watson gave him a look of disgust and grumbled, “You damned Jews, nothing can kill you. You’re like cats. You got nine lives.”

On one occasion, the sergeant sent Rubin to check out a village not far from the American position. Rubin returned to say that it was ominously quiet and he believed dangerous. Watson ignored the warning and ordered him to return with a squad led by Corporal James Hamm and 10 other men. As they drew close, Korean soldiers hidden in the village opened fire, killing all the Americans except for Rubin and Hamm, who was badly wounded. Rubin made his way back to his own lines to report what had happened. Then he said he was returning for Hamm. “Why bother?” Sergeant Watson asked. “He’s dead by now.” Rubin said, “He’s my friend.” Then he went back for Hamm and carried him to safety.

Later on, in an engagement near Chirye, when his company commander decided to redeploy the men from one hill to another, more defensible one under the cover of darkness, Watson ordered Rubin to stay behind by himself to cover the movement. He spent the night stocking every foxhole with grenades and rifles and ammunition. The next morning, the North Koreans, unaware that all the Americans save one had withdrawn, advanced on the position.

“All hell broke loose,” Tibor says. “I was so scared I went bananas. I was screaming.” He ran from one foxhole to another, firing the weapons he had hidden and lobbing grenades at the hundreds of North Korean soldiers below and making them think they faced a large force. He single handedly held the hill until the next day, inflicting a large number of casualties on the enemy. Then he surprised his sergeant by managing to make his way back to his unit. As Watson stared at him incredulously, Rubin felt satisfaction: “I show him that Jews can fight, we can bleed like anybody else and we die like anybody else.”

The Passing of a GI Joe (https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/261088/passing-gi-joe-peter-collier)

R.I.P American Hero