PDA

View Full Version : Not another Colt 6920 cut down to 14.5 thread????

Mak8080
12-11-15, 19:07
My local LGS has quite a few Colt 6920's for a decent deal and I like to support them as much as possible. I'm in the mood to pick up another just because and I was thinking about chopping the barrel to 14.5.

I was thinking of cutting it down to 14.7 and having a step cut and muzzle device pinned. Is this the best route? Or I can cut it down a bit shorter and have a longer muzzle device pinned like a BE Meyers 249. I understand that I'm giving up barrel length.

I don't mind spending the money to have this done. I can always go the "just buy another barrel" route as well.

Those of you that have done this, any ideas or thoughts? Help me spend my money.:laugh:

WaldoOneFive
12-11-15, 19:21
I did the 16" barrel cut down to 14.7, step added and A2 pinned and welded. All done by ADCO...

I then moved back to a communist state where a muzzle brake or comp was required because the A2 flash hider somehow to libtard law makes the rifle more deadly... So... I picked up a 14.5 colt barrel for that upper, and pined and welded a brake that was long enough to get the >16".

I prefer the look of the 14.7 with A2, as the profile just looks "right" especially if you're going for that clone look.

Displaced Texan
12-11-15, 20:35
I just had this done to one of my 6940's: http://www.specializedarmament.com/content/skins/flat/14-5_bbl_16_bbl.htm

Very nice machine work. Ken even re-roll marks the barrel properly, as the original roll marks would be lost if you just cut the barrel to 14.5 or 14.7.

TXBK
12-11-15, 20:41
SBR you lower, and then cut your barrel to any desired length and attach any desired muzzle device. Then, switch muzzle devices whenever you please, because you didn't have to pin and weld it.

Ryno12
12-11-15, 20:52
SBR you lower, and then cut your barrel to any desired length and attach any desired muzzle device. Then, switch muzzle devices whenever you please, because you didn't have to pin and weld it.

I agree.

I don't see the point in cutting down a 16" just to go to 14.7". Leave it at 16" or go to 11.5".

Iraqgunz
12-11-15, 21:52
Except in limited circumstances, a pinned and welded muzzle device makes little sense. If you are going to do anything, SBR it.

Evan_O
12-11-15, 21:57
I just had this done to one of my 6940's: http://www.specializedarmament.com/content/skins/flat/14-5_bbl_16_bbl.htm

Very nice machine work. Ken even re-roll marks the barrel properly, as the original roll marks would be lost if you just cut the barrel to 14.5 or 14.7.

Very nice! Ken's work is top notch. You mind sharing what it ran you?

Johnson184
12-11-15, 22:02

$300?? How is that a better deal than getting a SBR tax stamp?

MegademiC
12-11-15, 23:19
Coming from a person who loves his 14.5 permed... don't cut it. If your going to perm, get a factory one. Cutting a 16" is a waste of money. An m4 clone is an exception.

Mine cost $50 iirc.

Displaced Texan
12-12-15, 06:10
If you live in a state where you can't have NFA toys, and and you already have a 16" barrel, it's as cheap as buying a 14.5" barrel and having it pinned/welded.

I did this one as a Christmas gift for my dad. He loves great machine work, and quite frankly, I didn't give a shit what it cost. Being able to do that for my old man is priceless to me.

ABNAK
12-12-15, 08:22
$300?? How is that a better deal than getting a SBR tax stamp?

Well, for $100 more than the tax stamp you don't have a registered, undeniable weapon and it doesn't require a permission slip to cross state lines, and you don't have to jump through hoops and then wait 5-6 months. But other than that not much. :rolleyes:

Ryno12
12-12-15, 08:56
Well, for $100 more than the tax stamp you don't have a registered, undeniable weapon and it doesn't require a permission slip to cross state lines, and you don't have to jump through hoops and then wait 5-6 months. But other than that not much. :rolleyes:

That's assuming that cutting 1.5" off a barrel is worth the $300 & assache of a pinned MD to begin with. ;)

ABNAK
12-12-15, 09:03
That's assuming that cutting 1.5" off a barrel is worth the $300 & assache of a pinned MD to begin with. ;)

That may be true, but the answer to that is buying a 14.5" to begin with and perm-attaching a BCM A2X FH. Shouldn't cost more than $50 or you're getting ripped off.

Ryno12
12-12-15, 09:10
That may be true, but the answer to that is buying a 14.5" to begin with and perm-attaching a BCM A2X FH. Shouldn't cost more than $50 or you're getting ripped off.

That IS true.

Displaced Texan
12-12-15, 10:29
Presuming you already have a Colt 16" barrel, and you want to change to a 14.5 Colt barrel, then the SAW 14.5" somewhat makes sense.
A Colt 14.5" barrel runs around $250-275, plus a muzzle device, plus a pin and weld puts you into the $300+ range easily.
$295 for Ken's package isn't a bad deal from that perspective.

Ryno12
12-12-15, 10:43
Presuming you already have a Colt 16" barrel, and you want to change to a 14.5 Colt barrel, then the SAW 14.5" somewhat makes sense.
A Colt 14.5" barrel runs around $250-275, plus a muzzle device, plus a pin and weld puts you into the $300+ range easily.
$295 for Ken's package isn't a bad deal from that perspective.

But you can also sell the 16" to offset the majority of the costs.

ABNAK
12-12-15, 13:03
But you can also sell the 16" to offset the majority of the costs.

I see Displaced Texan's point and it is somewhat valid. In this day of AR-glut the discriminating buyer isn't going to pony up retail for a 16" takeoff barrel. I know I wouldn't. However, a few months down the road from now is anyone's guess (unfortunately).

In all seriousness, what would YOU as a private individual (not for your business but for your own collection) pay for a new 6920 takeoff barrel? My guess is you'd be hard-pressed to get $150 for it, maybe $175 tops. Sure, you might snag one of the suckers but any of us in-the-know isn't going to shell out $200+ for it today.

Ryno12
12-12-15, 13:16
I see Displaced Texan's point and it is somewhat valid. In this day of AR-glut the discriminating buyer isn't going to pony up retail for a 16" takeoff barrel. I know I wouldn't. However, a few months down the road from now is anyone's guess (unfortunately).

In all seriousness, what would YOU as a private individual (not for your business but for your own collection) pay for a new 6920 takeoff barrel? My guess is you'd be hard-pressed to get $150 for it, maybe $175 tops. Sure, you might snag one of the suckers but any of us in-the-know isn't going to shell out $200+ for it today.

Getting something back is better than nothing though, right? Even if he got $150 to offset the $260 for a new barrel, it at least brings this down to a $110 waste of time. :)

ABNAK
12-12-15, 13:24
Getting something back is better than nothing though, right? Even if he got $150 to offset the $260 for a new barrel, it at least brings this down to a $110 waste of time. :)

Agreed, something is better than nothing. Still better than an outright $300 for the SAW job, even though they do perform excellent work.

samuse
12-12-15, 13:39
I'd just have ADCO cut it to 14.7" and pin the stock A2.

I've seen them in person and the SAW job looks goofy as all get out with no crush washer.

scottryan
12-12-15, 13:40
Pinned muzzle devices are ****ing gay and all serious gunmen have moved past this nonsense. This was cool back in 2000 on arfcom but not anymore.

Get an SBR and get a factory 14.5" barrel or 11.5" barrel.

Cutting a barrel is retarded when you can buy a factory one in the correct length.

If you can't have an SBR then keep your 16" barrel and live with it.

RetroRevolver77
12-12-15, 15:11
Pinned muzzle devices are ****ing gay and all serious gunmen have moved past this nonsense. This was cool back in 2000 on arfcom but not anymore.

Get an SBR and get a factory 14.5" barrel or 11.5" barrel.

Cutting a barrel is retarded when you can buy a factory one in the correct length.

If you can't have an SBR then keep your 16" barrel and live with it.

Considering I've bought all my barrels through you and pinned each one with an extended flash hiders- then just keep my old ones as spares.

The FNG
12-12-15, 15:27
It makes more sense to me to get a new barrel than to spend the money to cut one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
12-12-15, 16:09
I have seen new pull off Colt barrels sell for 150.00-200.00. They are one of the few QUALITY barrels that can be had with an FSB installed.

Iraqgunz
12-12-15, 16:11
It may LOOK goofy, but it is clean and effective. Still not worth it in the bigger scheme of things.

I'd just have ADCO cut it to 14.7" and pin the stock A2.

I've seen them in person and the SAW job looks goofy as all get out with no crush washer.