PDA

View Full Version : His Corps Value Was Bravery - Marine nominated for Medal of Honor

Bulldog1967
10-04-06, 21:53
His Corps Value Was Bravery

Chris Adlesperger's family, shocked to learn of his heroics in Iraq, later saw how it all made sense. In death, he's been nominated for the Medal of Honor.
By Tony Perry, Times Staff Writer
October 3, 2006

On Nov. 10, 2004, in 30 minutes of close combat, Marine Pfc. Christopher Adlesperger, a soft-spoken, religious young man who loved poetry and art, attacked an enemy stronghold in Fallouja, Iraq, and killed at least 11 insurgents.

He killed them with his M-16 and with his grenade launcher. He killed them at such close range he could hear the blood gurgling in their mouths and noses.

He killed insurgents who were heavily armed and probably high on drugs — and who had just killed his close friend, Lance Cpl. Erick Hodges.

He protected two wounded squad members from attack and saved innumerable Marines.

When it was over, Adlesperger's face had been bloodied by shrapnel and he had bullet holes in the sleeve and collar of his uniform. He refused to be evacuated until Hodges' body was recovered.

"It was a tremendous bit of fighting," said Col. Patrick Malay, the battalion commander. "He was a quiet kid, but he was remarkable. He was one tough bastard."

For his bravery, Adlesperger is among a handful of Marines who have been nominated for the Medal of Honor in Iraq.

Read the rest here. (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-me-bravery3oct03,0,7847525,full.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

Semper Fi, Marine.

Voodoochild
10-05-06, 20:16
Very sad to see he lost his life. My brother sent me the article earlier this week he is former Marine he got out and regrets it every second.

9x19
10-06-06, 14:18
Very sad to see he lost his life. My brother sent me the article earlier this week he is former Marine he got out and regrets it every second.

It is very sad that he lost his life. When I read about him I thought of this quote from the Bible: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:13 KJV