PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer SSG 3000?

Savage018
12-12-15, 01:58
I am needing some advice...

I have the opportunity to trade my Savage 10 FCP-K .308 that is in a Choate Tactical stock with Millet 20 MOA base, Burris XTR rings, Nikon M-308 4-16x42 scope, Harris bi-pod and two 10 round Dark Eagle custom box magazines for a like new in box Sig Sauer SSG 3000 Patrol 18" with a Harris bi-pod. From what I know about them the barrel and action were made in Germany and then it is assembled here in the United States. Anyway, the gentleman with the Sig is wanting to swap me even up for the Savage. A part of me is tempted to do it while the other part says I already have a good shooting rifle that is setup decently. So, I just thought I'd ask you folks if you were in my place, would you make the trade?

mark5pt56
12-12-15, 05:29
Do it and get a scope, don't look back. oh--and change your screen name while you're at it :blink:

Mjolnir
12-12-15, 05:52
Do it and get a scope, don't look back. oh--and change your screen name while you're at it :blink:

LMAO!!!

Agreed.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Savage018
12-12-15, 08:28

Lol my screen name has nothing to do with Savage rifles. My last name is actually Savage. Just coincidence.

cosmo223
12-16-15, 09:33
I have no experience with a Savage, but I do own an SSG3000. First, you should know that SIG is no longer making/selling these guns. As you know, the barrels come from Germany, which has refused to continue exporting them to U.S. Of course, this cuts two ways. On the one hand, it is very tough to find these guns NIB (and you need to know that the older versions, which were mfg. in Germany and have a better stock, cost $3000 when new, not $1500). On the other hand, finding replacement parts is going to be tough. For example, try finding a couple of spare mags for this gun.

However, I will tell you that these guns tend to be absolute tack drivers. I am by no means an experienced bench rest shooter - but entered a low key competition at my local club with this gun. Shot 20 consecutive rounds off a bipod at 100 yards and had a 1.2" 20 shot group. Would have been around an inch but slightly pulled my last shot. And this is using commercial ammo on a somewhat blustery day. Only other suggestion I'd have for you is to get behind the stock if you can before you make the trade. It's not as adjustable as most high end stocks and some people don't like the way it feels.

Savage018
12-16-15, 10:11
I have no experience with a Savage, but I do own an SSG3000. First, you should know that SIG is no longer making/selling these guns. As you know, the barrels come from Germany, which has refused to continue exporting them to U.S. Of course, this cuts two ways. On the one hand, it is very tough to find these guns NIB (and you need to know that the older versions, which were mfg. in Germany and have a better stock, cost $3000 when new, not $1500). On the other hand, finding replacement parts is going to be tough. For example, try finding a couple of spare mags for this gun.

However, I will tell you that these guns tend to be absolute tack drivers. I am by no means an experienced bench rest shooter - but entered a low key competition at my local club with this gun. Shot 20 consecutive rounds off a bipod at 100 yards and had a 1.2" 20 shot group. Would have been around an inch but slightly pulled my last shot. And this is using commercial ammo on a somewhat blustery day. Only other suggestion I'd have for you is to get behind the stock if you can before you make the trade. It's not as adjustable as most high end stocks and some people don't like the way it feels.

Hey Cosmo, thanks for the reply. After doing some research and some thinking I ended up making the trade and also was able to negotiate a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 in with the trade so I would have a scope for it. After handling the Sig and looking through the Accupoint, the Savage was instantly forgotten.

mark5pt56
12-16-15, 16:28
Now flip both and by an AI AT:big_boss:

cosmo223
12-16-15, 17:49
Mark5, love to try the AI - just tell me where I can pick one up for what I paid for the Sig.... $1,399.:) Until then, I'm pretty happy with my SSG. I'm still the limiting factor, not the gun. Maybe after I shoot the barrel out I'll be good enough to step up to the AI.