PDA

View Full Version : Steiner M5Xi 5-56x56mm vs Kahles 6-24x56mm vs US Optics ER25 5-25x58mm

xBlack-Watch18
12-12-15, 06:55
Looking into first big optic purchase. Currently running a Remington 700 chambered in 300WM. Would greatly appreciate any user experience and/or comparisons between the two as I'm just getting into long distance shooting.

My current options are:

Steiner M5Xi 5-56x56mm for $2,220ish
Your Kahles for $2450ish
US Optics ER5-25 for $2,650ish

Cheers.

NongShim
12-12-15, 22:18
I would do the Kahles with AMR reticle. This is purely a WANT for me as I haven't used that scope. It seems great on paper though and I love that reticle.

I have a lot of experience with Steiner binos but nothing with scopes. Binos have always been great in my experience.

I am a former USO product owner, and I think they make nice things but not as nice as they cost compared to others.

irondude
12-14-15, 18:22
I have the M5Xi 5-25X56 with the MSR reticle. My business partner has the Kahles 6-24X56 also with the MSR reticle. I have shot them both and they are both great options. I like the parallax control under the elevation turret on the Kahles quite a bit. I have never done a tracking test on the Kahles, but the M5Xi is spot on. The 5 power setting on the Steiner looks the same to me as the 6 power setting on the Kahles. Likewise, the 25 power on the Steiner looks the same as the 24 power on the Kahles. Keep in mind this is an opinion of one person with tired old eyes.

If I had to chose one over the other today, I would go with the Kahles. I like the parallax control, the turret controls have a very refined tactile feel, and the Kahles is slightly shorter and slightly lighter. Having said all that, I don’t regret buying the Steiner.

One thing that may be a concern to you. The Steiner did not come with a sunshade. I think I paid another $100.00 for mine. If the Kahles comes with a sun-shade that would close the deal to me.

I have no first hand experience with US Optics. Someone else will have to relay their experience on that one.