PDA

View Full Version : M&P Mag Base Plates

VA_Dinger
08-08-08, 01:03
Does anybody happen to know if anybody has the new smaller/shorter M&P 9mm magazine base plates in stock?

C4IGrant
08-08-08, 08:14
Do you happen to have the new smaller/shorter M&P 9mm magazine base plates in stock?

No mags at this time.

C4

VA_Dinger
08-08-08, 09:15
No mags at this time.

C4

Are just the base plates available?

I do not really need anymore complete magazines, but the new base plates are a serious improvement.

C4IGrant
08-08-08, 09:18
Are just the base plates available?

I do not really need anymore complete magazines, but the new base plates are a serious improvement.

They most likely are, but I do not have any on order and also have actually seen one yet.

C4

VA_Dinger
08-08-08, 09:33
Chris914 ("The Flasher") got two from some place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/MPMAG001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/MPMAG002.jpg

exitinyourhead
08-08-08, 10:23
http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php

this place has them, you just order the baseplates for a 9c and they fit on the regular mags... same springs.

C4IGrant
08-08-08, 10:29
Chris914 ("The Flasher") got two from some place.

It is hard to tell from the pic, but those baseplates look like every other M&P base plate I have seen.

C4

exitinyourhead
08-08-08, 10:36
it's just a 9c baseplate on a full size mag. The second picture is anyway. The first picture just looks like a standard magazine.

people are doing this so that they can grab them faster out of a mag carrier without grabbing both due to the lip on the larger baseplate, or just for a different look. I have 2 of the shorter ones on my mags. Haven't really noticed a difference in grabbing them but it does look different. It's a direct replacement of the standard baseplate. Just take off the larger one and replace with the compact, no other changes needed.

exitinyourhead
08-08-08, 10:37
looking again the first picture might be the smaller mag plate also, just looks longer out of the pistol. I think you can also by these from smith, but speed shooter has them and they are only a buck or two.

exitinyourhead
08-08-08, 10:42
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=15577&hl=base+plate

here is a thread from mp-pistol's forum talking about the smaller base plates along with competition shooting, the whys and the whats. Hope this helps.

ps. sorry about so many posts in a row but i always think of something else as soon as i hit reply... i'm going to pause now so i won't have to post again...

k i think that's all.

VA_Dinger
08-08-08, 10:52
it's just a 9c baseplate on a full size mag.

Yep, it seems your correct.

Thanks for the heads up.

subzero
08-08-08, 16:33
That's exactly what it is Paul. You can get 9C baseplates for ~1.50 each from Speed Shooters, about the same from Brownells.

Robb Jensen
08-09-08, 09:27
You can get them directly from S&W:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

IIRC last time I actually had to pay for them they costed me $0.71ea, the part number for the cool-kid™ ;) base pads is #27835

ToddG
08-11-08, 07:22
FWIW I'm running either the c floorplate or the Arredondo extended floorplate on all my M&P mags, now.

The c floorplate is outstanding.

The Arredondo is mostly outstanding. They seem to be finicky about locking into the gun when you insert them gently (all five of mine do this). One had a locking plate that is oversized and prevents the mag from operating properly.

Robb Jensen
08-11-08, 07:31
FWIW I'm running either the c floorplate or the Arredondo extended floorplate on all my M&P mags, now.

The c floorplate is outstanding.

The Arredondo is mostly outstanding. They seem to be finicky about locking into the gun when you insert them gently (all five of mine do this). One had a locking plate that is oversized and prevents the mag from operating properly.

I think you have some early ones.
My 3 Arrendondos lock in fine with my early M&P9 and my new M&P9L, or you're just a pansy....;)

ToddG
08-11-08, 08:16
gotM4 -- the first one I got was an early one. The last four were all new and came with both locking plates.

But it definitely only happens when I'm being a pansy, you're right. If I slowly and gently insert a standard mag into my gun, it locks. If I slowly and gently insert an Arredondo-equipped mag into my gun, it doesn't. It's not an issue now that I know about it because I just use a little more force.

SuicideHz
08-17-08, 12:27
What is so nice about those floorplates? From the picture of the one on the mag in the gun, it just seems that it doesn't extend forward flush to the front of the grip. They look "odd" but looks aren't everything. I'm curious as to the purpose?

I'm comparing this to my .45 plates. Perhaps 9mm plates are huge?

ToddG
08-17-08, 12:35
They don't overlap if you've got close-fitting mag pouches.

They provide a much better grip on the magazine during fast reloads.

They don't interfere with your grip if you have big hands.

They're different so they're cool.

SuicideHz
08-17-08, 12:43
Oh yes the overlap- that's a big one. I've noticed that...

Robb Jensen
08-17-08, 13:14
What is so nice about those floorplates? From the picture of the one on the mag in the gun, it just seems that it doesn't extend forward flush to the front of the grip. They look "odd" but looks aren't everything. I'm curious as to the purpose?

I'm comparing this to my .45 plates. Perhaps 9mm plates are huge?

There's a pretty big difference between the compact and fullsize bases in 9mms. For competition the compacts are nice so that you don't accidently pull out your second mag when doing a reload grabbing your first mag.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/compactbasesMP007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/compactbasesMP006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/compactbasesMP005.jpg

Here's a pic from when I first started shooting the M&P in competition, you can see how close the mag bases are together with the bigger bases. Sometimes when doing a reload my pinky and/or thumb would catch on the large bases of the second mag and it would follow my hand out as I would bring up the first mag.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/robbMP650.jpg

msr
03-12-09, 00:00
Speed Shooters list's two different models? Flat and curved. gotm4, are those the curved you are showing?

ToddG
03-12-09, 09:30
They're the flat ones. The curved Compact floorplates have a little finger extension on them, which is not only superfluous for a full-size mag but also tends to eliminate the benefit of using the Compact floorplates on the full size mags.

danpass
06-05-09, 20:55
source for these?

I tried 27835 everywhere .... google, s&w site, brownells ......... :confused:

msr
06-05-09, 20:58
Smith & Wesson direct, Brownells special order, or Speed Shooters has them.

From Brownells;

SPECIAL SMITH & WESSON #39294 MAGAZINE BUTT PLATE FOR S&W 9MM M&P COMPACT FLAT. ATTENTION CUSTOMER: DELIVERY TIME IS ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS AFTER THE ORDER IS PLACED.

danpass
06-05-09, 21:07
thanks. got a link?

Even putting the number in the search produces no results.

Not the first time I've encountered this with Brownells. I've never seen a search engine suck as unbelievably hard as brownells. Only the organization of the search results is worse.

Even Midways is better.

eta: is this it? LINK (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23230&title=MAGAZINE%20BUTT%20PLATE)

nfranco
06-05-09, 21:18
might these work? From 10-8 performance.
http://www.10-8performance.com/id36.html

ToddG
06-05-09, 21:43
might these work? From 10-8 performance.
http://www.10-8performance.com/id36.html

They're ten times as expensive as the M&P Compact floorplate. I'm hard pressed to imagine how they're ten times better. I used the Compact plates on my test gun all last year and they worked brilliantly.

msr
06-05-09, 22:51
Can't use the search function from Brownells as they are special order only. You need to call them with the order. And agreed, the search function from them sucks! I just beta tested a new web site for them last week and that was my biggest input suggestion.

danpass
06-10-09, 14:25

From Brownells;

SPECIAL SMITH & WESSON #39294 MAGAZINE BUTT PLATE FOR S&W 9MM M&P COMPACT FLAT. ATTENTION CUSTOMER: DELIVERY TIME IS ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS AFTER THE ORDER IS PLACED.

I just called S&W and ordered up 15 of #39293. The part number quoted above is 'Curved' which supposedly means the finger rest type of baseplate.

Total cost delivered: $20.40 :D

QuietShootr
07-02-09, 21:15
Does this work on the .45s too? The floorplates on the standard mags are HUGE.

danpass
07-02-09, 21:34
I just called S&W and ordered up 15 of #39293. The part number quoted above is 'Curved' which supposedly means the finger rest type of baseplate.

Total cost delivered: $20.40 :D

well these don't work.

the stock plates are 'outies' and these are 'inies' :( . In addition they mount at an angle.

have to return them

USG
08-24-09, 21:10
Yes, part #39293 is definitely wrong. I think the problem is at S&W, as I called Parts and specifically asked for the M&P40c flat magazine butt plate. The woman that took my order had a hard time finding the part and she quoted me this part number. They sent the 39293, and right on the invoice it states:

"MAG BUTT PLATE 9MM 10RD FLAT R"

Wrong wrong wrong. Sending them back. I wish these companies would get their acts together. Very frustrating for the customer who is not in the shipping business.

msr
08-24-09, 21:18
NOTE these are the wrong base pads. It seems S&W has the part numbers wrong. I ordered the part number below and received the curved pads.

From Brownells;

Latimer Jones
08-27-09, 05:12
Gents,

I called S&W retail parts sales twice on the 25th of August. The first guy I had on the phone looked at the M&P 9c mag and a full size and said they were not compatible. Then a few hours later I looked at the online parts list for both pistols and started thinking which magazines he might have compared? I wondered if he compared the cut down 10 round magazines for sales in states that have capacity restrictions.

I called them back and visited with Jeff. He was very helpful and knew exactly what I was talking about. He assured me the 9c flat plates he would send me would work on the full size M&P 9 17 round magazines. I also asked him for the part number. The part number is 27835. If you get any conflicting reports when you call ask for Jeff. I hope this helps everyone. I ordered 18 of the floor plates and if I remember they were around $1 each and in-stock.

Latimer

Irish
08-27-09, 08:35
Subscribed for ordering info at a later date.

DJK
08-27-09, 08:54
Speed Shooter Specialties has them for $1.50 each plus shipping:

http://speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/search.php?submit=submit&categories=Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+9%2F40%2F357&subcategories=Magazine+Base+Pads

I have ordered a dozen of the flat compact pads for my full size magazines and have had no problems.

Gomez
08-27-09, 16:00
How well does the lower profile basepad lend itself to clearing double feeds/failures to extract?

DJK
08-27-09, 16:43
How well does the lower profile basepad lend itself to clearing double feeds/failures to extract?

I do not think that there is any difference between grabbing the mag with the compact base or the full size base, but I addressed that possible problem in a different way. If you go to the thread on Boresight Solutions and look at post #34, you can see the bases and my solution.:D Actually, I'm just putting in another plug for Ben's work!!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28386&highlight=boresight+solutions

Gomez
08-27-09, 18:45
I do not think that there is any difference between grabbing the mag with the compact base or the full size base, but I addressed that possible problem in a different way. If you go to the thread on Boresight Solutions and look at post #34, you can see the bases and my solution.:D Actually, I'm just putting in another plug for Ben's work!!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28386&highlight=boresight+solutions

His work looks nice. I've got a local guy who has been doing frame work on my M&Ps.

I guess the question could've been phrased better. I'm actually concerned about dealing with the FTE/FTF with only one hand.

I run the standard base pads and modify the bottom edge of the frontstrap to support running the gun with one hand.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/3831470717_09ef99613c.jpg

Shawn.L
09-25-10, 19:32

I just picked up a MP45 and have this same question.

MichaelD
09-25-10, 20:48
I just picked up a MP45 and have this same question.

Yes, the baseplate for an M&P45c magazine will work on full-size M&P45 mags.

Shawn.L
09-26-10, 04:41
Yes, the baseplate for an M&P45c magazine will work on full-size M&P45 mags.

how do I know which ones ?
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=4&categoryId=12534&categoryString=655***687***8900***&brandId=1326

MichaelD
09-26-10, 22:27
how do I know which ones ?
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=4&categoryId=12534&categoryString=655***687***8900***&brandId=1326

On that page? Probably none of them will fit. Just call S&W and order them directly; if all you want is a couple, they'd likely send 'em for free.

Shawn.L
09-27-10, 13:11
I just got off the phone with S&W, they are sending me 5 baseplates for free.
The lady sounded really unsure that they would fir my mags "but they say they are for 8 round mags....." and I assured her the base was the same for the 8 and 10 just a shorter tube.

Stranger45
09-27-10, 15:33
[QUOTE=gotm4;205885]There's a pretty big difference between the compact and fullsize bases in 9mms. For competition the compacts are nice so that you don't accidently pull out your second mag when doing a reload grabbing your first mag.

Rob,

In the pic above the base plate retaining plate (nub?) doesn’t come all the way to the bottom of the base plate (mine is the same way) do you (or anyone else) have a problem with the compact base pads coming off ease? If I practice reloading with a empty mag sometimes the base plate will come off or slide forward?

Thanks,

Seraph
09-27-10, 16:54
OK, I'm interested in this last point, as well. I just ordered some of the flat compact base plates today, and now I'm wondering if I should have ordered the compact retainers too. I guess I foolishly ASSumed they'd be the same item.

MichaelD
09-27-10, 16:57
OK, I'm interested in this last point, as well. I just ordered some of the flat compact base plates today, and now I'm wondering if I should have ordered the compact retainers too. I guess I foolishly ASSumed they'd be the same item.

As far as I know, the retainers *are* the same item. The reason for the difference in appearance between the full-size baseplate and the compact baseplate is the compact baseplate is thicker.

Seraph
09-27-10, 17:38
As far as I know, the retainers *are* the same item. The reason for the difference in appearance between the full-size baseplate and the compact baseplate is the compact baseplate is thicker.

OK, I knew that. Just testing you. You passed. A+.

Magsz
09-27-10, 22:26
I have 25 magazines equipped with compact baseplates and to date ive only experienced one magazine/baseplate combo that slid off during a forceful reload.

I ditched the baseplate, attached another one and have never had any problems.

Stranger45
09-29-10, 13:21
I have 25 magazines equipped with compact baseplates and to date ive only experienced one magazine/baseplate combo that slid off during a forceful reload.

I ditched the baseplate, attached another one and have never had any problems.

Magsz, how easy are they to get off unloaded?

danpass
09-29-10, 14:29
There's a pretty big difference between the compact and fullsize bases in 9mms. For competition the compacts are nice so that you don't accidently pull out your second mag when doing a reload grabbing your first mag.

Do you have the part number for the short plates?

Stranger45
09-29-10, 14:47
Do you have the part number for the short plates?

The number on the pack I got is 27835.

danpass
09-29-10, 16:23
The number on the pack I got is 27835.

cool, thanks

Seraph
10-04-10, 15:39
I ordered some for my M&P 9mm, along with a couple of the lanyard loop frame tools. They arrived today, but unfortunately they sent the wrong base plates - the ones for the 10rd mags. Ordered again today for the correct ones, and a spare guide rod assembly. I'm sure the correct plates will arrive this time, but I mention this to emphasize that you must make double sure they're sending the right ones, or you'll pay double. On the high side, the lanyard loop thing is pretty cool.

jonconsiglio
10-04-10, 17:13
I have the 10-8's for my carry mags and I use the Dremel to make all the standard basepads the size of the 10-8's. I don't know why I've never just ordered the compact basepads.. I'm going to order a set though to see how different they feel. I never liked that huge pad they came with. I never ran in to problems with pulling the rear mag, but it definitely never felt very secure in my hand during reloads.

Seraph
10-04-10, 18:43
I have the 10-8's for my carry mags and I use the Dremel to make all the standard basepads the size of the 10-8's. I don't know why I've never just ordered the compact basepads.. I'm going to order a set though to see how different they feel. I never liked that huge pad they came with. I never ran in to problems with pulling the rear mag, but it definitely never felt very secure in my hand during reloads.

Yep. The extra length on the front of the base plate is kind of pointless, in my estimation. It always bugged me about my CZ 75B mags, too. I've got my eye on the 10-8 base plates, but I thought I'd give the OEM compact base plates a try first, as they're only $0.96 per.

jonconsiglio
10-04-10, 18:52
I like the way the 10-8's fit. I remove some of the lip on the bottom of the frame with the dremel and I think it makes it look much better.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/IMG_0186.jpg

Biggy
10-04-10, 19:02
I use compact baseplates on all my fullsize M&P 9mm mags. You would think they would be less prone to breakage.

awmp
10-24-10, 09:41
I have the 10-8 base plates on all of my 9mm and 45acp mags (I know they are expensive but everything for my M&Ps is so much cheaper than my 1911s that is how I justified them).

Curious if 10-8 base plates are legal in IDPA? Just starting. thanks

mnoe82
10-24-10, 12:52
I stripped out two mags in a match yesterday because I was hitting the full size baseplate. I just switched all of mine out. Thanks for the info.

Seraph
10-24-10, 15:47
I have the 10-8 base plates on all of my 9mm and 45acp mags (I know they are expensive but everything for my M&Ps is so much cheaper than my 1911s that is how I justified them).

Curious if 10-8 base plates are legal in IDPA? Just starting. thanks

From idpa.com:

The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY
DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.
A. Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported
barrels.
B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,
but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,
brass magazine wells, weighted grips).
C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing.
D. Sights of non-standard configuration (i.e. Ghost rings, Bo-
Mar rib, etc.).
E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.
F. Lights mounted on guns.

mnoe82
11-23-10, 12:10
Those compact base plates are out of stock right now from S&W. I ordered a dozen of them about a month ago. I called yesterday to see where my order was and the guy told me they would be back in stock "soon".

moyler
11-23-10, 16:12
Those compact base plates are out of stock right now from S&W. I ordered a dozen of them about a month ago. I called yesterday to see where my order was and the guy told me they would be back in stock "soon".

I was waiting about 45 days for mine. They just got here and they are compact BPs with the pinky extension. I thought I was clear enough when I ordered them.

Anyone need 15 compact base plates with the pinky ext.?