PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ODG ARC system

tmanker
12-12-15, 15:35
I've been looking for a setup to use when hunting (elk,deer,predators) as well as for a training course I'm going to in July (http://youtu.be/Bkl36MuTvTk). This caught my eye, but it's quite pricey when you add the arc system, bravo yoke and side panels. What do you think of this setup? The system is designed around the optics pouch which works fine for hunting, but what about for a training course? Can a guy integrate m4 and pistol pouches into the side panels to work for that setup? If not, I'm looking for a simple chest rig for training courses. Are the split front rigs a lot easier to put on/take off? I've read through the 10 page chest rig thread, but it only adds more confusion for me. 2 to 4 m4 mags and 2 pistol mags are enough for me I believe. Are there chest rigs that are head and shoulders above the rest for what I need (not exactly sure what I need)?

Here's a couple links to the ODG setup. Thank you.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/02/orion-design-group-arc-rig-now-available-pre-order/
http://www.odg-usa.com/beast.php

docsherm
12-12-15, 17:33
That is way more than you need. If all you want is 4 M4 mags and a few pistol mags there are much better choices. Do you want a first aid kit? Do you want to take off the M4 mag pouches to put a larger pouch for hunting?

tmanker
12-12-15, 17:43
For hunting, I would like to have a larger pouch for binoculars. I would also like to have the ability to carry a gps, compass, small IFAK, rangefinder, etc... Maybe there's a way to attach the ODG arc bino pouch to a chest rig. Thanks for the input.

docsherm
12-12-15, 21:10
Look at the HSGI AO Chest rig. It is built like a tank and modular. You can use it for shooting courses and then take off the 3 mag pouches and get two GP pouches to carry binos and such for hunting. And you will have an IFAK on it.

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/double-decker-value-combo-98DTC0.html

tmanker
12-13-15, 12:53
I greatly appreciate the information and your time. Now I need to find a couple pouches. Zippers or buckles? Thanks again.

docsherm
12-13-15, 21:39
Buckles are quieter. I like this one:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/multipurposepouch.aspx

Should fit binos and a few other items just fine. It takes 4 PALS slots so you could also add one of these for extra items like snacks and such. ;)

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/accessorypouch1v.aspx

99superduty
12-15-15, 14:06
I've got one that I'm going to use for hunting. Had been using a badlands bino pouch but the sides have no ability to add pouches securely.

The ODG pouch is bigger than what I'm used to but my gps and rangefinder mounts to the sides seamlessly.

Didn't get it in time for hunting this year but will put it through its paces soon. My only gripe is the metal S hooks suck for adjustment. I've put side release buckles on the side adjustment straps and its much better for this purpose.

tmanker
12-20-15, 20:43
I've got one that I'm going to use for hunting. Had been using a badlands bino pouch but the sides have no ability to add pouches securely.

The ODG pouch is bigger than what I'm used to but my gps and rangefinder mounts to the sides seamlessly.

Didn't get it in time for hunting this year but will put it through its paces soon. My only gripe is the metal S hooks suck for adjustment. I've put side release buckles on the side adjustment straps and its much better for this purpose.

Glad to hear the info. I was going to purchase one for hunting as well. I really like the HPG kit bags and I may be able to make the heavy recon kit bag work for my purposes. Crye makes a couple nice GP pouches that would work for binos. I decided I didn't want to move pouches around, so I'm going to go with two dedicated rigs. I purchased a Haley d3cr for training and I'm looking at a SORD CTR rig or SORD SIP rig for hunting. I just need a simple molle rig with a pouch for rangefinder and binos and small FAK.

trinydex
12-29-15, 13:27
http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/chest-rigs-sr/tyr-tactical-chest-rig-molle-platform/

i got this. i needed an x harness so i could keep it higher on the chest, in case i needed to shoot prone. fits 2 7.62 pmags, an admin pouch for the range finder and a modified m4 pouch for the kestrel. i figure anything else can be kept off the chest, keep it slick.

i did have to get the straps shortened. from the factory, high on the chest or lower conventional, i could not adjust the straps tight enough to retain the rig tightly enough on my body. this was apparently made for big ass mofos.

tmanker
01-02-16, 20:57

Any updates on this? Have you had a chance to see the positives/negatives? I just purchased a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42 and I'm running them in a HPG runners kit bag. It works ok, but I would like a little more protection. Keep me posted. Thanks.

specialk
01-03-16, 11:17
I haven't had my hands on the ARC system yet, but I plan to get one. I think you may be better off with just the core ARC pouch and slim yoke.

For shooting courses, I recommend belt pouches for a couple of rifle mags, a couple of pistol mags, a holster, and a dump pouch. If you want to put it all on a dedicated belt, that's even better.

You can wear both the ARC and belt pouches if you needed to.

tmanker
01-03-16, 18:32
Good info. Like I mentioned before, I bought a Haley D3CR for my training course this summer. I also have an ATS belt set up with 4 AR mags and 3 pistol mags. I think the ARC pouch with alpha yoke is a good idea. If you buy the ARC pouch, keep me posted. Thanks for the input.

99superduty
01-03-16, 20:38
I can't speak to using the ARC as a rig for training classes, to me it seems like there are better options. As far as carrying bios and other hunting related gear I like it. I've only been able to use it once post hunting season (didn't get it in time for Elk) for some scouting but I'm starting to think its almost too big. I'm speaking of the main pouch as it swallows my leupold binos. If this had just a bit smaller main compartment, keeping everything else the same it would be the perfect system. I'll try and get some pics of how I have it setup.

tmanker
01-03-16, 21:49
I'm running Swarovski SLC 10x42 right now. How do your binos compare in size?

99superduty
01-04-16, 16:44
I didn't see any dimensions for the Swaros but I am using the Leopold Cascade 10x42 so I would think the size is comparable?

tmanker
01-04-16, 20:50
Those are the exact same binoculars I replaced. Honestly for the money, I was super impressed with them. The swarovski's definitely have them beat, but for the money, are they that much better? Maybe, maybe not.