PDA

View Full Version : DI Optical FC1, anybody used it ?

mig1nc
12-12-15, 16:10
Supposedly DI Optical makes sights for the ROK Army. They have a new optic out which is size comparable to the micro but claims to be prismatic. Looks weird, but I'd like a prismatic the size of a micro.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
01-12-16, 11:33
I like the idea behind it, but it's just completely unproven at this point. Plus with the MSRP being so close to the Aimpoint PRO, it's just a no-brainer to stay away from it.

mig1nc
01-12-16, 12:52
Even the MRO fits in that price range. I totally agree. They are not entering this market from a favorable position.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Digital_Damage
01-12-16, 19:58
You guys are comparing completely different technologies here.

MRO and Aimpoint is not a competitor with this.

If executed correctly the image clarity on that will be a hundred times better than the aimpoint and MRO.

wolf_walker
01-12-16, 21:23
they seem to be having trouble getting T&E samples out, and not for a lack of people requesting them I'm told.
These things been available almost a year now if not longer, weird.
Lots of glamour shots on FB though lol.....

Plasman
01-12-16, 21:32
Well, it looks like B.E. Meyers might be re-branding DI Optical sights (or having a custom variant made for them).

See last comment: http://soldiersystems.net/2013/10/22/ausa-di-optical-usa/

Todd.K
01-13-16, 08:22
You guys are comparing completely different technologies here.

MRO and Aimpoint is not a competitor with this.

If executed correctly the image clarity on that will be a hundred times better than the aimpoint and MRO.

They claim parallax free and unlimited eye relief in the specs. I think that makes it just another red dot and not a real scope.

Digital_Damage
01-13-16, 10:48
They claim parallax free and unlimited eye relief in the specs. I think that makes it just another red dot and not a real scope.

It is a prism... not a reflex.

That is like saying the EoTech is the same as the aimpoint.

Digital_Damage
01-13-16, 10:52
they seem to be having trouble getting T&E samples out, and not for a lack of people requesting them I'm told.
These things been available almost a year now if not longer, weird.
Lots of glamour shots on FB though lol.....

not surprised... the IP hoops you have to jump though for prism based optics is daunting.

there is a possibility it will never hit the market, lawyers and all that stuff.

WickedWillis
01-13-16, 10:56

So it's a prism. It's still priced in the same area as better, more proven optics. It was announced almost two years ago, yet I can't even get a solid picture of the sight picture. Your latter post is probably correct though, if it's been this long it might not even make it out.

Digital_Damage
01-13-16, 11:47
So it's a prism. It's still priced in the same area as better, more proven optics. It was announced almost two years ago, yet I can't even get a solid picture of the sight picture. Your latter post is probably correct though, if it's been this long it might not even make it out.

How do we know they are better?

On paper, and from a technology stand point the MRO and aimpoint would not be better in a lot of categories, optical clarity being chief among those..

I'm just pointing out we know nothing about these to form an a opinion on them.

WickedWillis
01-13-16, 12:05
How do we know they are better?

On paper, and from a technology stand point the MRO and aimpoint would not be better in a lot of categories, optical clarity being chief among those..

I'm just pointing out we know nothing about these to form an a opinion on them.

You answered your own question, really. The fact that we don't know enough about them, or have not been able to run them is why the products that are currently available, and proven are better as of right now. Of course that could change when these are finally out there in the hands of shooters. I am a firm believer in things being proven before having faith put into them. This could be the best optic to come out in the past 15 years, we just don't know enough about it's capabilities yet. I hope I am making sense.

Rayrevolver
01-13-16, 12:53
A buddy of mine is in Korea. If you have money laying around I can ask him to see how much these sell for and he can mail it... if they are even available for purchase out there.

If there is an ITAR/EAR thing from the Korean side then no, I won't do this!

wolf_walker
01-13-16, 13:31
not surprised... the IP hoops you have to jump through for prism based optics is daunting.

there is a possibility it will never hit the market, lawyers and all that stuff.

Primary Arms has had some of them for awhile, I've seen a few guys on forms bought them. I was really hoping for one of the
high round count guys online that handles a lot of optics would test one out.

Todd.K
01-13-16, 13:55

I have a basic understanding of those, as well as a typical prism binocular or ACOG. I'm not an expert but my understanding is the typical design cannot have unlimited eye relief. From there I just assumed "prism" was a translation problem.

So is this a different prism design or is my understanding off?

wolf_walker
01-13-16, 13:58
There is a non-magnified prism type of "red dot" that works like, well a red dot. The Meprolight RDS's are that way too.
It's not like the 1x etched reticle one's that you see occasionally, Vortex I think makes one.

Digital_Damage
01-14-16, 12:53
I have a basic understanding of those, as well as a typical prism binocular or ACOG. I'm not an expert but my understanding is the typical design cannot have unlimited eye relief. From there I just assumed "prism" was a translation problem.

So is this a different prism design or is my understanding off?

A prism can be used in two different ways,

One is the reticle is etched into the prisim such as the binoculars you refer to and a diode is project onto that.

The other is it can be used in a hologram with a collminating mirror and a laser, the claim of infinite eye relief would suggest this is how it is being used. It would also explain the need for an auto shut off, lasers take far more power compared to a typical diode. This is how EoTech's generate their image

patriot_man
01-14-16, 17:01
There was a review or intial impressions of it on AR15.com of the EG1.

It was compared to another red dot (Aimpoint or MRO but can't remember) and from the photos it did not look like you were looking through glass at all - crystal clear. The red dot compared to the DI had a hue to it.

Digital_Damage
01-15-16, 08:04
There was a review or intial impressions of it on AR15.com of the EG1.

It was compared to another red dot (Aimpoint or MRO but can't remember) and from the photos it did not look like you were looking through glass at all - crystal clear. The red dot compared to the DI had a hue to it.

That confirms my suspicion about how they are using the prism. Could be a true eotech competitor.

If they release the FC1 I'll be picking one up to test.