PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to use multiple barrel lengths/calibers on SBR

Rotorhead84
12-12-15, 18:47
In the process of doing my very first Form 1 for my very first NFA item. Using a trust.

What is the proper way to use multiple calibers and barrel lengths currently? I've done a lot of reading/searching and I get a lot of conflicting answers between old posts and new posts. Just want to make sure I do this right.

My goal is to have one SBR lower that I can run 5.56 uppers of varying lengths and 300blk uppers of varying lengths. Is this possible? I have read that you just pick the length and caliber you're going to start with and once it is approved you can change it at will by simply sending in a letter stating your intentions. Why not just state your intentions on the Form 1 (if possible).

Looking for smooth sailing on my first form so if its easier to just pick one and send the letter in later, that's what I'll do.

RIDE
12-12-15, 18:51
You can change the upper out to whatever length and caliber you'd like without notifying the BATFE.

The only time you need to notify the BATFE of changes to the caliber or length is if the changes are "PERMANENT", which you wouldn't do on an AR. (unless you were to weld the upper to the lower I guess.. :)

Rotorhead84
12-12-15, 18:53
You can change the upper out to whatever length and caliber you'd like without notifying the BATFE.

The only time you need to notify the BATFE of changes to the caliber or length is if the changes are "PERMANENT", which you wouldn't do on an AR. (unless you were to weld the upper to the lower I guess.. :)

I have read that as well in my research. However one of the things I have commonly seen attached to that statement is that you must retain the original configuration. So lets say I registered and built the sbr on an 11.5" upper, I'd need to keep that upper essentially forever.

Or is that BS?

RIDE
12-12-15, 19:01
I have read that as well in my research. However one of the things I have commonly seen attached to that statement is that you must retain the original configuration. So lets say I registered and built the sbr on an 11.5" upper, I'd need to keep that upper essentially forever.

Or is that BS?

Holding on to the 11.5" barrel would be safe.

If you are not in possession of the 11.5 barrel (sold it, or whatever), you still haven't made a "permanent" change, as you could go buy an 11.5" anytime.

Just my opinion and understanding. I do not work for the BATFE.

BigWaylon
12-12-15, 19:24
No requirement to keep the original. There are many people that file everything as 10.5" & 5.56...as they know they'll always have one of those uppers. They attach it first, then swap it to whatever they want.

Rotorhead84
12-13-15, 15:26
Thanks to the both of you for the information. BigWaylon, I'm using your guide for dummies on my eform. Thanks for that!

domestique
12-13-15, 17:49
No requirement to keep the original. There are many people that file everything as 10.5" & 5.56...as they know they'll always have one of those uppers. They attach it first, then swap it to whatever they want.

+1, all of my SBR forms are identical (9" 300blk upper).