PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in red dot

ubet
12-13-15, 20:38
This is probably a very amateur question. I have a red dot on my 6920, and was doing some load testing yesterday. When I sighted it in at 100yds I sighted it in so the top of the dot was the aiming point. I just can't seem to get anywhere near precise aiming with the dot in general at 100+. But for anything inside 100, I just use the dot as a whole and know about where to hold with the given distance. Is this wrong, right or indifferent?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hmac
12-13-15, 20:48
Not all red dots are created equal. What brand is yours?

ubet
12-13-15, 20:48
Vortex sparc 2

samuse
12-13-15, 21:37
The cool thing about that is you can use the bottom of the dot for 50 and 200 yards which is perfect since you can see the target better holding over.

ubet
12-13-15, 23:57
The cool thing about that is you can use the bottom of the dot for 50 and 200 yards which is perfect since you can see the target better holding over.
And that's sort of what I've been doing

Talon167
12-14-15, 13:04
This thread has a lot of great information about zeroing. Have a look...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?107572-Zen-of-the-100-Meter-Zero

ubet
12-14-15, 19:51
This thread has a lot of great information about zeroing. Have a look...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?107572-Zen-of-the-100-Meter-Zero
I've read that a couple times, a lot of great information!

Tape
12-15-15, 22:41
red dots are not made for 100yd precision shooting, they are made for hitting a man size target close combat fighting but accurate out to 100yds. If you want precision shooting a red dot is the wrong direction to start.

HD1911
12-18-15, 01:17
I can hit man size Targets at 400y confirmed w/ T1 & T2... no they are not Precision Optics, but to say they are 100y-and-in is Ludicrous.

I have also shot many Sub-MOA groups with RDS, @ 50 and 100m.

And no that's not bragging, just stating what can be done.

Tape
12-18-15, 02:14
I can hit man size Targets at 400y confirmed w/ T1 & T2... no they are not Precision Optics, but to say they are 100y-and-in is Ludicrous.

no it isn't ridiculous to say it is a 100yd and in optic because it is. Yes you can hit targets out to 400yds but you won't do it with the first shot or even the first five shots unless you get lucky of course, you will hit a target at 100yds first shot. Beyond 100yds depending the moa of the red dot sight is a judgement shot. I would bet rifle against rifle you cannot hit a 280yd target first shot and I will drive up to Henderson, KY for that bet depending on your equipment if it's worth it or not.

samuse
12-18-15, 08:15
Tape it's gonna depend on the size of the target ans shooter skill.

skatz11
12-18-15, 08:20
no it isn't ridiculous to say it is a 100yd and in optic because it is. Yes you can hit targets out to 400yds but you won't do it with the first shot or even the first five shots unless you get lucky of course, you will hit a target at 100yds first shot. Beyond 100yds depending the moa of the red dot sight is a judgement shot. I would bet rifle against rifle you cannot hit a 280yd target first shot and I will drive up to Henderson, KY for that bet depending on your equipment if it's worth it or not.

How big is this target?

Tape
12-18-15, 09:48
Tape it's gonna depend on the size of the target ans shooter skill.I do not think shooters skill will effect anything, a man size Target @ 400yds; even using a 2moa dot you will not even see the target because the dot will hide it; I am referring to using my Aimpoint H1 2moa, he's talking about I guess his T1&2 sight, so basically the same reddot sight depending what moa dot he has. A shot taken 400yds with a Aimpoint 2moa micro sight is a waste of time and ammo IMO. Hell, good shooters with a ten power cannot hit a man size target @ 400yds first two or three shots, I would not make that bet with my AR setup, HD1911 acts like it ain't shit but I say that is an excellent shot by any standard with a rds.

Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post

like I said I'd bet my best Colt AR and drive to KY to see that happen. Anyone that can hit a man size target @ 400yds with a Aimpoint micro 2moa sight deserves a prize!
*********************************************************************************

How big is this target?

man size Targets

Tape
12-18-15, 09:54
I have also shot many Sub-MOA groups with RDS, @ 50 and 100m.

just ^^^^^^ statement is hard as hell to do imo.
those are some heavy words

samuse
12-18-15, 10:39
I do not think shooters skill will effect anything, a man size Target @ 400yds; even using a 2moa dot you will not even see the target because the dot will hide it; I am referring to using my Aimpoint H1 2moa,

At 400 yards the dot will not cover any of the target because you'll likely be holding it right about the top of his head.

fedupflyer
12-18-15, 10:51
I would bet rifle against rifle you cannot hit a 280yd target first shot and I will drive up to Henderson, KY for that bet depending on your equipment if it's worth it or not.

This is a bet you might just loose.

Especially considering, two days ago I was ringing a 10 in steel plate from 400 yds with an Eotech. Once you know your hold over, it is fairly easy.

12-18-15, 11:00
I do not think shooters skill will effect anything, a man size Target @ 400yds; even using a 2moa dot you will not even see the target because the dot will hide it; I am referring to using my Aimpoint H1 2moa, he's talking about I guess his T1&2 sight, so basically the same reddot sight depending what moa dot he has. A shot taken 400yds with a Aimpoint 2moa micro sight is a waste of time and ammo IMO. Hell, good shooters with a ten power cannot hit a man size target @ 400yds first two or three shots, I would not make that bet with my AR setup, HD1911 acts like it ain't shit but I say that is an excellent shot by any standard with a rds.

like I said I'd bet my best Colt AR and drive to KY to see that happen. Anyone that can hit a man size target @ 400yds with a Aimpoint micro 2moa sight deserves a prize!
*********************************************************************************

man size Targets

You do not seem to know optics well. Hits using a RDS out past 100yds. are easy and very doable. Shots out to 600yds. are doable. Not only doable, but not a big deal. I can do it and have seen it done numerous times. At a HSP class, myself and the majority of the class were hitting 12" steel at 500yds. using RDS's. As in, many first shot hits.

280yds. first shot---not a Miculek shot. Plenty on this site can do it all day long.

Tape
12-18-15, 16:06
This is a bet you might just loose.

Especially considering, two days ago I was ringing a 10 in steel plate from 400 yds with an Eotech. Once you know your hold over, it is fairly easy.

I am willing

Tape
12-18-15, 16:17
You do not seem to know optics well. Hits using a RDS out past 100yds. are easy and very doable. Shots out to 600yds. are doable. Not only doable, but not a big deal. I can do it and have seen it done numerous times. At a HSP class, myself and the majority of the class were hitting 12" steel at 500yds. using RDS's. As in, many first shot hits.

280yds. first shot---not a Miculek shot. Plenty on this site can do it all day long.

your so full of xxxx, where do you live, I will gladly meet you if it is logical and cover any bet you care to present. I am retired and I can travel anytime. Please lets meet! My comment about you being full of xxxx is not meant in a bad way, it is meant the same as if you and your long time friend or me and my friend disagree and going to compete against each other and I do not mean it as it sounds. I hope you understand and I am very much wanting this to happen. Lets do this, this weekend.

Tape
12-18-15, 16:26
Hey guys, if I get ban for my comments I want you to know I do not mean it in a bad way, just as I said if your buddy disagrees with something you said or whatever you know what he is meaning. I know we are not buddies and do not know each other from Adam but I hope you take this as I am meaning it. I am not saying the shots are not doable but no one is going to grab their gun and I am going to set up a target from 10 to 600 yards and whoever is going to hit it with a red dot sight.

Tape
12-18-15, 16:33
OP, I am really sorry I dragged your thread into a dump hole. It was "in the moment" kind of thing. I am truly sorry for hijacking your thread. I will not run your thread off-topic anymore.

JSantoro
12-18-15, 22:49
2MOA dot @400 covers about 8". It's fair to say that an average adult human male torso is +/- 20" wide, and that's JUST the torso, not including arms. Your math doesn't jive, so not only are you out of your depth in terms of the technical capabilities of optical devices, you need to learn to pump your brakes in the general sense.

Do a Search for threads authored by Molon, just for a primer on what such optics are capable of. Whether the person is capable is another matter entirely.

Please do not post in this thread again, and give serious thoughts to posting at all for a while until you've read the following: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?70019-The-Good-The-Bad-and-The-Ugly-an-M4C-Style-Guide

Ryno12
12-18-15, 22:56
Attaboy JS.

This might be a good read too.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131635

ubet
12-19-15, 09:29
Well tape thanks for dragging this thread into the mud...... anyways now back on track. I got mine sighted in the other day. I do want to find am aimpoint to look through their was a lot of strain on my eyes with the sparc 2 I have. I'd really like to find a trijicon mro bit I think that is like finding a unicorn

HD1911
12-19-15, 19:40
Well tape thanks for dragging this thread into the mud...... anyways now back on track. I got mine sighted in the other day. I do want to find am aimpoint to look through their was a lot of strain on my eyes with the sparc 2 I have. I'd really like to find a trijicon mro bit I think that is like finding a unicorn

http://www.rogtac.com/trijicon-mro-2-0-moa-adjustable-red-dot-no-mount/

http://www.rogtac.com/trijicon-mro-2-moa-adjustable-red-dot-w-lower-1-3-cowitness-mount/

Mike @ Rog Tac is an awesome guy. You're G2G when dealing with him. Very Solid.

henschman
12-19-15, 22:24
lol... the guy who got the fastest time on the Rifleman's Quarter Mile (3 hits on an 18"x24" silhouette at 500 yards) stage at last winter's Pawnee Run 'n Gun did it with a Comp M4... on a 10.3" 5.56! Dialed up his elevation on the run to the stage and went 3 for 3.

A man-sized target is about 4 MOA wide at 500. Easy enough to center up a 2 MOA dot on that and apply proper fundamentals.

HD1911
12-19-15, 22:36
lol... the guy who got the fastest time on the Rifleman's Quarter Mile (3 hits on an 18"x24" silhouette at 500 yards) stage at last winter's Pawnee Run 'n Gun did it with a Comp M4... on a 10.3" 5.56! Dialed up his elevation on the run to the stage and went 3 for 3.

A man-sized target is about 4 MOA wide at 500. Easy enough to center up a 2 MOA dot on that and apply proper fundamentals.

Awesome. I'd say he got'r done.

Franchise
12-20-15, 08:18
http://youtu.be/c_Q3_vwJlNA

thebarracuda
12-20-15, 10:49
All I have to offer is that the more rounds I shoot with my H1, the more I realize just how capable a good dot and mount can be. I'm no marksman but I'm completely comfortable ringing 8"x10" steel at 250yds. Any farther and my skill level really drops off. Many guys can go much further out. Pretty awesome for a cqb type sighting system.