PDA

View Full Version : Back to back failures to feed in Glock 19

Pariah Carey
12-13-15, 21:10
Today while shooting I had failures to feed on consecutive rounds in a gen 3 Glock 19. I was using a Magpul 17-round magazine and Magtech 124 g ball ammo.

When the first failure to feed happened I ran back the slide (I don't remember tapping the magazine), the live round ejected, then the next round also failed to feed. I ran the slide again, the round ejected, the weapon went back into battery, I reacquired the target, pulled the trigger and the next round fired. There were no malfunctions with the remainder of the rounds in the magazine.

I'm a pretty experienced shooter so I don't think I was limp wristing. I've probably had a few ftfs over the years but never can I recall two in a row. The likely suspect here has to be the magazine. It's a fairly new magazine, three months old with about 100 rounds through it. But I'm also wondering about the second ftf. Wondering if I could have short stroked the slide. Thoughts?

SPDGG
12-13-15, 21:23
Did you also try a Factory/OE Glock Magazine?

fwiw: I'd swap out the mag for a factory Glock & run it again . . . sure it will run as intended

samuse
12-13-15, 21:35
Use good mags....

Pariah Carey
12-13-15, 22:02
Use good mags....

I have plenty of those for everyday carry and home defense. I may be convicting Magpul without enough evidence, but I'd never use their Glock magazines for anything but practice. Even before this incident, something just felt a little off about them. They'll do, but they looked beat up right out of the package and are overpriced.

LoveAR
12-13-15, 22:06
My Gen 3 G19 has run without faults with factory Mags.

Airhasz
12-13-15, 22:08
Use good mags....

Thanks for the feedback, I'll stick to OME.

Biggy
12-13-15, 22:21
As some of the above posters replied, stick with the original OE factory Glock G19 mags. IMHO, you will not find any aftermarket ones that are as good, period.

Wake27
12-13-15, 23:24
Today while shooting I had failures to feed on consecutive rounds in a gen 3 Glock 19. I was using a Magpul 17-round magazine and Magtech 124 g ball ammo.

When the first failure to feed happened I ran back the slide (I don't remember tapping the magazine), the live round ejected, then the next round also failed to feed. I ran the slide again, the round ejected, the weapon went back into battery, I reacquired the target, pulled the trigger and the next round fired. There were no malfunctions with the remainder of the rounds in the magazine.

I'm a pretty experienced shooter so I don't think I was limp wristing. I've probably had a few ftfs over the years but never can I recall two in a row. The likely suspect here has to be the magazine. It's a fairly new magazine, three months old with about 100 rounds through it. But I'm also wondering about the second ftf. Wondering if I could have short stroked the slide. Thoughts?

How many rounds through the gun? Did you continue shooting afterward? If so, how many more rounds?

AKDoug
12-14-15, 01:22
Mark your magazines and keep track of failures. If it happens again with the same mag, throw it away. If it happens again with another magazine, start looking at the ammo, then the pistol.

Phillygunguy
12-14-15, 06:11
The original magpul magazines for the glock17 had issues, but you should have gotten new magazine bodies mailed to you. Are you using the replacements ? I have shot several hundred rounds through my G19 and magpul g 17 mags without issues. However I only use them for training, not carry

friendlyfireisnt
12-14-15, 11:45
Marking mags for identification in the event of malfunctions is always a good idea.

I would also check the feed lips of the offending mag. Possible that it has a burr on the feedlip, causing it to catch. I would continue to use it at the range, if it has further issues, send it back to magpul for replacement.

I've put nearly 1k rounds through the magpul Glock mags, mostly the G17, but also now through the G15 versions too. I've had one fail to feed in the first 5 rounds. No issues since.

After vetting the rest of the mags, with practice and carry ammo, I have no issues carrying them as my backup mag.

azeriosu85
12-14-15, 19:35
Not a magpul glock mag fan? Pay the extra $5 for the peace of mind of an OEM magazine

MountainRaven
12-14-15, 19:50
Mark your magazines and keep track of failures. If it happens again with the same mag, throw it away. If it happens again with another magazine, start looking at the ammo, then the pistol.

Or in the case of a Magpul mag, call Magpul and let them know that you're having problems with it.

Did you take the same two rounds and try to run them through a different magazine?

Pariah Carey
12-14-15, 22:19
How many rounds through the gun? Did you continue shooting afterward? If so, how many more rounds?

The gun is over two years old, I bought it new. But it is my spare model 19 (doesn't get carried or fired very much) and has only about 300 rounds through it. This was a very short range session (I shoot on my own land) and I think I had only about 1 loaded mag left at that point, so 17 maybe 16 rounds which all fired normally. I have four Magpul Glock mags and there were no other issues with the other magazines yesterday nor with any of them in previous range sessions

The original magpul magazines for the glock17 had issues, but you should have gotten new magazine bodies mailed to you. Are you using the replacements ? I have shot several hundred rounds through my G19 and magpul g 17 mags without issues. However I only use them for training, not carry

I bought the magazines (four total) from Aim surplus in September. I can't remember the exact manufacture date on them but I believe they were made after May, after the problems were fixed.

Or in the case of a Magpul mag, call Magpul and let them know that you're having problems with it.

Did you take the same two rounds and try to run them through a different magazine?

Yes and they fired and the gun functioned normally.

One thing I just realized that I should disclose. I had just gotten the slide of this pistol and my other model 19 back from Glock to have night sights installed. I also stripped the slide so they could put in new parts. Up until just now I was thinking only firing pin but I realized they put in a new extractor too. That was the main reason I was even shooting yesterday, to insure they functioned normally with the new parts. I only put two mags through each gun. Could that be a cause of the failure to feed?

Phillygunguy
12-15-15, 03:43
The gun is over two years old, I bought it new. But it is my spare model 19 (doesn't get carried or fired very much) and has only about 300 rounds through it. This was a very short range session (I shoot on my own land) and I think I had only about 1 loaded mag left at that point, so 17 maybe 16 rounds which all fired normally. I have four Magpul Glock mags and there were no other issues with the other magazines yesterday nor with any of them in previous range sessions

I bought the magazines (four total) from Aim surplus in September. I can't remember the exact manufacture date on them but I believe they were made after May, after the problems were fixed.

Yes and they fired and the gun functioned normally.

One thing I just realized that I should disclose. I had just gotten the slide of this pistol and my other model 19 back from Glock to have night sights installed. I also stripped the slide so they could put in new parts. Up until just now I was thinking only firing pin but I realized they put in a new extractor too. That was the main reason I was even shooting yesterday, to insure they functioned normally with the new parts. I only put two mags through each gun. Could that be a cause of the failure to feed?
Not likely, if I read you correct, you sent the slide off to glock for replacement parts? Not sure why, but try just using the OEM magazine like others suggested.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Pariah Carey
12-15-15, 11:12
Not likely, if I read you correct, you sent the slide off to glock for replacement parts? Not sure why, but try just using the OEM magazine like others suggested.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I sent it off for night sights. If you strip the slide they put in all new parts for free. It's a low round count gun but I figured hey free stuff. Now I have the previous parts for spares.

Phillygunguy
12-15-15, 13:04
I sent it off for night sights. If you strip the slide they put in all new parts for free. It's a low round count gun but I figured hey free stuff. Now I have the previous parts for spares.

Ok gotcha, but I doubt that it's anything related to new slide parts, especially if glock did the work.
I'd stick with glock oem magazine for now

jca1386
12-18-15, 14:40
I live in CT (insert Sarah McLachlan animal adoption commercial music) EVERYTHING here comes with those SHITTY glock 10 round magazines. I put about 400 rounds through a 4th gen 19 today and SEVERAL times the magazines had failures to lock the slide back on an empty mag. Insert the standard capacity glock magazines for 19 or 17 and the gun worked flawlessly. To mirror what others have said, stick with the glock mags..they are very reasonable and the piece of mind is worth the extra 5$

SDSwoll
12-22-15, 21:53
Most malfunctions in semi auto handguns are magazine related. ....always mark your problem children

MStarmer
12-26-15, 16:12
I religiously mark all my mags for every gun I own. I also religiously mourn when I finally have to discard them. I don't know why but even when I have an adequate supply and / or the mags are common and cheapI still want to pull them out of the garbage and "save" them. I kept having problems with an old GI mag and went to throw it out at the range, my daughter finally convinced me to step on it so I would keep trying to take it home... I had a real sticky one at a class I threw away and it was quickly snatched out of the can. We're pathetic when it comes to mags... :)