PDA

View Full Version : MO Legislature Proposes Bill Revoking Scholarships If Athletes Strike

Vandal
12-15-15, 12:02
Found this on a friend's Facebook page. Essentially Rep Brattin's bill would revoke the scholarship of collegiate student-athletes who talk about striking, act in a way that leads to a strike or actually go on strike and refuse to play in an organized manner. The thought is since they are receiving state money, there should be some consequences for their actions.

Scholarships Revoked If Student Athletes Strike (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14369127/missouri-legislator-proposes-bill-revoke-student-athlete-scholarships-strike)

I have some mixed thoughts on this. The NCAA and the universities make a ton of money on the backs of the athletes, most specifically football. The athletes on scholarship are fairly well compensated though. Free education, dorm room or off-campus stipend, spending money, medical care, food and nutrition counseling, better workout facilities than what non-football or non-athletes have access too. Don't forget the tutoring to get a lot of those guys to pass their classes. I'm still paying off my loans.

If they want to be treated like employees, then you don't work, you don't get the benefits. Most of the "student"-athletes I knew in college rarely showed up for class, when they did they didn't take notes and were pretty much off limits for in-class discussions. A few would participate, show up on time, not the "skilled" players as a general rule. I work with a former scholarship wide receiver from a PAC-12 school with a good degree because he knew his future wasn't in football.

The other part of me thinks they have the right to free speech and they could feasibly argue that a strike is a form of speech and protest and this could be a 1st Amendment violation. At the same time the football players at Mizzu were acting like spoiled children and need to be taken down a peg or two to be reminded who they "work" for.

Firefly
12-15-15, 12:16
Boo hoo.

Their knees and backs will be destroyed by 35 if their hearts and kidneys haven't exploded or shriveled from juicing.

Then they'll be the usual busters moping about going on about their B Ball days 15 or 20 years gone while stocking shelves or whining about their stuck up white bitch P.O.

This is a very good thing.

_Stormin_
12-15-15, 14:31
I am all of the school choosing to revoke a scholarship that it awarded. I am not all for more useless laws that we shouldn't need.

If a kid is so upset about how something is being handled that he doesn't want to play, then he can take the walk. If the entire team feels that way (or any subset) they can all head on out. But essentially having a law against striking is only a foolish way to have the left usher in union protection for student athletes. This is a matter for the schools themselves to handle, and any one of them that has any foresight will have a contingency in their scholarship offers after the joke that was Missouri football this year.