PDA

View Full Version : I can't see anything with iron sights anymore. Aged eyes.

SoloDallas
12-15-15, 22:43
Is it the same for some other of you guys?
Can't do anything with iron sights, especially if I mean to be a little accurate. Already at 25 yards I can't see shit.
So I started buying optics; mostly 4x32 ACOGs, but got a VCOG (1x-6x) and an Elcan Specter.

I still have an aimpoint and an Eotech but use them rarely.
Same for you? Is there a fix for this? Even with viewing glasses, I'll be able to see the front post but not the target. Little use.

Tape
12-15-15, 23:52
reddots are the answer for those that cannot see irons like us, I even use a rd on my lever action but if you want precision you need a real riflescope.

Eurodriver
12-16-15, 08:21
I have never undersood this. I want to start off by saying that I have 20/10 vision in both eyes - so some of you may immediately dismiss what I have to say.

With iron sights you are only focusing on the front sight - which is what? 20" from the rear sight on an A4? Of course you need to see the target, but all you really need to see is the "blurr" that is the target. Then you focus on the front sight and place it in the middle of the blur.

It's easy, really.

TF82
12-16-15, 08:52
Yeah but when the front sight is also a blur that theory pretty much falls apart. That's the problem I started to have. I actually realized something was wrong when I couldn't get a sharp view of my pistol's front sight and my accuracy at 25 yards started to fall apart. I have an astigmatism and once I got glasses to correct it everything came back together for me. I know it's worse for people who have near sighted or far sighted issues because they often have to choose which is going to be a blurry mess (not just out of focus but practically indistinguishable) the target or the front sight.

Grizz12
12-16-15, 09:34
Whats the point of shooting if you cant hit the target? Putting the front sight on target is only good if you have a good and consistent cheek weld, otherwise your shooting at the sky. As I get older the front sight is disappearing so cheek weld does not matter. I shoot bows instinctively and have many time shot handguns instinctively, but would never hunt with a gun and instinctive shooting.

My vision has been going down hill too and I started using the SEEALL sight. I consider it a poor mans red dot since it only cost ~$100 and does not require batteries.

Doc Safari
12-16-15, 09:56
I'm fifty one. My dad's vision started to go around age 60. He went from using nothing but irons to needing optics in just a few months. He had an Eotech on his Mini-14 until the day he died. He also had a peep sight installed on the one Glock he owned.

It's just an age thing. In your forties you start losing the ability to read things in small print, by about age 60 I've found most shooters need an optic on at least their long guns. I'm hoping I can keep my Glocks shootable by installing XS "Big Dot" sights on them.

As far as magnification, I guess I'll have to wait and see if that becomes essential as my eyes age. I'll keep an ACOG or two in storage for just such a scenario, but frankly I much prefer RDS sights with no magnification at present.

The worrisome thing is you live with the constant realization that what you buy today may be useless to your eyes in ten years.

SoloDallas
12-16-15, 10:01
Great to see I'm not alone in this. I am 48, I never used any type of viewing glasses until I was 40. Then it quickly went downhill.
Now I can't see shit up close, but I can still focus objects afar.

What happens is, even on 20 inchers I already can't focus the front sight post anymore.
So I need the viewing glasses; however, with the viewing glasses I won't see anything at the distance.

I tried yesterday with my Eotech. Had to move the target to 10 yards to see it... it's sad to shoot an AR15 at 10 yards.

Thanks for your contributions!

BillSWPA
12-16-15, 10:18
Glasses set up for distance will focus far past the front sight, and those set up for reading will focus too close. For me, the transition region between the top distance portion and bottom magnification portion of my bifocals is perfect for a front sight.

Some competitive shooters have special corrective lenses made specifically for front sight focus, sometimes built right into the rear aperture sight of their competition gun.

T2C
12-16-15, 11:52
As I approach 60 years of age, I have been dealing with the same thing. A diopter installed in the rear iron sight can compensate for diminishing vision. I did not go that route. I still compete in local club rifle matches and have to wear safety glasses with 0.50 power inserts to clear up the front sight focus enough to shoot accurately at 100 yards. I also wear 0.75 readers to shoot handguns when competing in PPC or USPSA. You can find safety glasses with reading inserts in part of the lenses on line that are under $30. Here is a good example of what is available: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf85.html If 1.0 reading glasses are too powerful, this is an inexpensive route to go for recreational shooting.

When practicing for defensive purposes I won't wear safety glasses with fixed magnifiers. There are companies that will make prescription glasses for shooting that you can wear daily, but I haven't dropped the $400 to $600 to buy a pair.

Outlander Systems
12-16-15, 17:01
This happened to me with RDS.

If I don't have the BUIS deployed, RDS is completely worthless for me.

Getting old is the pits.

theorangecat
12-16-15, 17:13
I'm at threescore and started having trouble using long gun irons in my mid-40's, but managed to get about another decade of shooting in before the situation became bad enough to make shooting a chore rather than a pleasure. "Loss of accommodation" was my ophthalmologist's verdict. "Golden years" my azz!

Any front sight with pretensions to precision will blur to a ghost for me unless it is WAY the hell out front, which is fine for a flintlock long rifle or a 36" BPCR. Using a small enough aperture rear can help out, but they tend to be problematic for fast work or where the light isn't optimum. I can manage a shotgun with a big white bead, but if there is a rear on it, it has to be a ghost ring or one of the low-profile XS express shallow "V" sights. Carbines all get an Aimpoint H-1, which may not always be the ideal optic, but is small enough that it does't bug me (although a slight astigmatism "blobs" the dot, making a 2 MOA my choice); rifles get an appropriate scope. FWIW, I keep irons in place because they are still better than nothing in a pinch… and "minute of broad side of a barn" I can still do.

While I use - and prefer - Ultradots on any handgun other than straight SD/HD rigs, at SD distances, I have learned to instinctively tilt my head up to get the front sight into the "magic zone" of my bifocals. (If I had any shooting style points to begin with, this would erase them- it's somewhat akin to Rooster Cogburn snapping his head from side to side when firing his two Colts, only up-and-down, and really, really nerdy.) Unfortunately, anything with a stock on it prevents me from using this bobble-head technique, which is probably just as well as it is not a mid- or long-range panacea.

toc

Hmac
12-16-15, 17:16
I have never undersood this. I want to start off by saying that I have 20/10 vision in both eyes - so some of you may immediately dismiss what I have to say.

With iron sights you are only focusing on the front sight - which is what? 20" from the rear sight on an A4? Of course you need to see the target, but all you really need to see is the "blurr" that is the target. Then you focus on the front sight and place it in the middle of the blur.

It's easy, really.

Yes. You don't understand this. But you will, eventually.

Doc Safari
12-16-15, 17:28
The really sad thing is that once your eyesight isn't perfect you sort of realize that all those guns you invested in are useless in a self-defense scenario.

A couple of years ago I started really rethinking my firearm and optics choices with this in mind.

For example I would not seriously even think of investing in a weapon that did not lend itself to many optic and sight options.

jmoore
12-16-15, 17:30
Yes, grasshopper - this too will you learn.

As a 7th decade shooter with severe myopia and astigmatism, an RDS trumps irons in oh so many ways.
And if you haven't done so recently - get your vision checked and then suck it up and wear the correct glasses or contacts!

geezer john

Hmac
12-16-15, 17:36
The really sad thing is that once your eyesight isn't perfect you sort of realize that all those guns you invested in are useless in a self-defense scenario.

I simply haven't found this to be true at all.

A rudimentary understanding of the physiology of presbyopia and a knowledgeable ophthalmologist or optometrist and you will have no trouble with irons, RDS, or magnified optics.

Eurodriver
12-17-15, 06:00
Yes. You don't understand this. But you will, eventually.

I didn't realize I was the only guy on here still in his prime ;)

I kid...but I would be very upset to no longer have the ability to use irons. No wonder all the guys at the range give me funny looks when they see me shooting to 400+ with them!

How does eyesight get so poor one cannot focus on the front sight though?

theorangecat
12-17-15, 06:42

Generally speaking, it is because the ciliary muscle that changes the shape of the lens has less ability as we age, so we can't focus as well. On average, a man will notice problems in his mid-40's, but that's not written in stone- some can have an issue earlier, some later.

There are plenty of younger shooters/hunters around here who have to deal with far more serious vision issues, so I can't complain too much about the cards I have been dealt. Most days, my tinnitus - shooting related - bothers me more than my inability to easily focus on a front sight.

Getting old sucks, but alternatives are a bit limited.

toc

Hmac
12-17-15, 06:57
I didn't realize I was the only guy on here still in his prime ;)

I kid...but I would be very upset to no longer have the ability to use irons. No wonder all the guys at the range give me funny looks when they see me shooting to 400+ with them!

The lenses in your eyes will lose flexibility as you age. You will progressively lose the ability to focus on items close to you, including the front sight of your handgun or rifle. It will start progressively sneaking up on you starting at about age 35-40. You'll start with reading glasses to read, after a few years you'll need them to focus on your front sight. You'll need to get glasses that let you "sort of" focus on the front sight and still be able to "sort of" focus on your target. Then, around 55 or 60, you'll need to start shopping bifocals because your distance vision will begin to get worse as your cornea changes and your eyes begin to change shape. I used to have 20/10 vision. Now it's about 20/30 and I have several pairs of glasses with different prescriptions that I use depending on whether I'm shooting handgun, rifle, RDS, magnified optic. You will too....count on it.;)