PDA

View Full Version : SOREL BOOTS ? Anyone tried them lately?

U&A
12-16-15, 12:02
first let me say that boots to me a %100 function over form.

My wife has had a pair of "fancy" Sorel boots for 2 years now. she doesn't wear them much so I don't have an opinion on them as far as durability. I was in the market for a replacement pair of snow hiking, snow shoeing, all around snow boot and the wife talked me into these"Caribou's" in the "Buff" color. http://www.sorel.com/mens-caribou-boot-NM1000.html

I was and still am skeptical of the newer boots but have heard great things about the 15-30 year old Sorel's. If you look at the reviews of the Caribou's on thier site they get some good reviews (from people that probably never hiked or snowshed in their life) but there are some reviews (with pictures) that make me question their quality a little. Does anyone have any experience with these boot in the past 5 years or so?

quality of construction seems very good to me but that doesn't mean they will last long. I "snow sealed" http://www.atsko.com/sno-seal-wax-8-oz-jar/ the crap out of them and changed out the thin shoe laces (with 550 ) but haven't used them in the snow yet. They fit very true to size with a very slight favor to over sized. my biggest concern is were the toe of the boot flexes/bends when you walk. this part of the boot is solid rubber and I wonder how long the rubber can take that constant creasing effect from walking.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

cbx
12-16-15, 14:33
For the money they can't be beat. Have a 5 year old set, still good. Dad has a pair that's about 25 yrs old. Look like hell, still function.

Just wax them once a year. Add a second insole for improved cold performance and comfort.

Is there better? Probably. But not at the price point.

U&A
12-16-15, 14:54
For the money they can't be beat. Have a 5 year old set, still good. Dad has a pair that's about 25 yrs old. Look like hell, still function.

Just wax them once a year. Add a second insole for improved cold performance and comfort.

Is there better? Probably. But not at the price point.

thanks for the post. do you just use any insole or something specific?

soulezoo
12-16-15, 16:12
I have a pair that is about 10 years old. They look like 2 years old. I have never waxed or done anything with them. They are my outside work boots (shoveling, plowing, horse feeding and etc.) so they get used. I take em off in the mud room when I come in and they go right back on going out again. I love mine. The thick felt insole I have replaced once. They do get beat down a little over time.

Honu
12-16-15, 16:13
my old sorels from the 80s were awesome
I did pick up a new pair not to long ago but honestly use them so little I cant say how durability is ? just when I go up north in the snow which is not that often and not really beating them more camping and mellow stuff ?
but they seem OK ? worse case I guess I could mend them since they are pretty basic unless the liners are crap now ?
I also read mixed reviews but seemed more about construction I figure I can use wax thread if worse comes and they start to fall apart

cbx
12-16-15, 22:19
thanks for the post. do you just use any insole or something specific?
Just some dr scholls that were like $15.-added cushion and insulation from it.

Put them underneath the the liner.