PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Boron bcg and long term effect on m4 feed ramps

parsonbw
12-17-15, 07:39
As the title says. I hope I didn't miss another thread on this, searched and come up empty. Has anyone used the aim surplus lightweight nickel boron bolt carrier group in factory Ar, (specifically the colt 6920) ? Just wondering the long term effect and how the extensively used bcg would effect the m4 feed ramps. Or, in contrast, how the face of the bolt would or would not efface, and the performance of the ejector on said bcg. Loaded question, but was just musing this thought over in my mind. Thanks in advance for response.

Brahmzy
12-17-15, 08:22
Not sure if serious.

parsonbw
12-17-15, 08:34
Not sure if serious.

Huh? Yes, I'm serious. Was thinking of trying said bcg on one of my AR's. Just wanting a serious reply if anyone knew.

SomeOtherGuy
12-17-15, 08:59
As the title says. I hope I didn't miss another thread on this, searched and come up empty. Has anyone used the aim surplus lightweight nickel boron bolt carrier group in factory Ar, (specifically the colt 6920) ? Just wondering the long term effect and how the extensively used bcg would effect the m4 feed ramps. Or, in contrast, how the face of the bolt would or would not efface, and the performance of the ejector on said bcg. Loaded question, but was just musing this thought over in my mind. Thanks in advance for response.

What do you think would wear more than normal, and why? Offhand I can't see any reason changing to that bcg would make a difference.

Brahmzy
12-17-15, 09:12
No part of the bolt / bolt face actually touches the ramps themselves. The the bullet nose and a portion of the neck/shoulder of the casing scrape along the ramps. The casing actually may not end up actually riding in the ramp at all. The bolt interfaces with the mating surfaces of the barrel extension.
If anything, due to its slickness, a lubed NiB BCG would be less metal-on-metal contact on those areas.

parsonbw
12-17-15, 10:18
Thanks for the reply. Friend at range said his boron carrier group (didn't designate the name brand of bolt and carrier) after about 2,000 rounds have flattened two of the teeth (not proper term) somewhat. Not sure what or how it happened. Just wondering if anyone had heard of anything like that happening. He said it was not ejecting properly. So, I just passed along his problem for advice.

Brahmzy
12-17-15, 10:25
That sounds like an out of spec build or a really shitty NiB BCG. There's been a flood of crap in the market since '13. Random no-name NiB BCGs coming out of the woodwork.
Wouldn't surprise me if one or more components were dimensionally incorrect. Nothing to do with the NiB coating itself.

parsonbw
12-17-15, 12:20
That sounds like an out of spec build or a really shitty NiB BCG. There's been a flood of crap in the market since '13. Random no-name NiB BCGs coming out of the woodwork.
Wouldn't surprise me if one or more components were dimensionally incorrect. Nothing to do with the NiB coating itself.

That's kinda what I thought. By the way, I shot the rifle myself, and it didn't just feel right when the empty case ejected. Like not smooth, gritty feel to it.
To be honest, I don't remember the brand of upper, or the parts he built with. I just wanted to ask the questions here on the forum to make sure there wasn't something about the lightweight bcg I needed to be aware of. Thanks

zackmars
12-17-15, 13:01
Wait, are you using a lightweight BCG on a 16" carbine?

In any case, use a full mass carrier from a reputable manufacturer

SteveL
12-17-15, 14:23
Wait, are you using a lightweight BCG on a 16" carbine?

In any case, use a full mass carrier from a reputable manufacturer

This was going to be my question as well.

parsonbw
12-17-15, 15:53
This was going to be my question as well.

I don't remember, we were several shooting different rifles. It isn't my gun, didn't pay that much attention.
Enough that I didn't like the way it shot.:eek: