PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Eye Protection

Outlander Systems
12-17-15, 12:56
All the existing threads were over two years old.

Based on recent discussions in this subforum, I ain't the only sumbitch with eyesight going down the toilet.

Throw out some recommendations for prescription, EyePro.

T2C
12-17-15, 13:05
A close friend swears by Decot Hy-Wyd shooting glasses. http://www.decot.com/

serbonze
12-17-15, 18:11
I use prescription inserts on my Rudy Project glasses.

ChoppinFatTony
12-17-15, 19:40
I knew guys who ran prescription Oakley M-frames over in the sandbox, both tinted and clear lenses.

LTMattyL
12-17-15, 23:53
I use revision sawfly with inserts.

WatchTheWorldBern
12-18-15, 00:55
Anyone here tried any Smith prescription frames? Was thinking about trying out the Director frames at some point. Been looking for something that's isn't full tactical like the Oakley M-frames but still more protective than just normal glasses.

HD1911
12-18-15, 01:13
I have Oakley Prescription Half Jacket 2.0 XLs and absolutely love them. They are a game changer for me.

Getting ready to order a second pair. First ones have the Vr28 lenses. This next pair will have Clear lenses.

http://www.oakleysi.com/Root/Eyewear/Prescription/RX-Half-Jacket%C2%AE-2-0-XL/p/OO9144-01L-22-384

*If not MIL/GOV/LE or a Veteran, goto your local Lenscrafters or authorized Oakley Dealer or contact Oakley directly.

wesr228
12-19-15, 20:48
I don't get paid to shoot, but I do have to wear Z87 (safety) glasses for work (Safety Officer/Manager on response and construction sites). I love my Wiley X P-17's. Wiley X as a whole have a metric ton of frames and lenses styles, most of which have the Z87 stamp.

Mine are light and clear, and depending on the project, I wear them most days outside, all day outside, and I love them.

The Oakley M Frames are great also, and you can switch out the lenses from clear to shaded, but they do have a certain look to them which doesn't scream me.

There are lots of options out there for as much or as a little as you want to spend. (Maui Jims which aren't safety rated will run up to $700 for a pair of Prescription Lenses).

This site may help out: http://www.rx-safety.com/prescription-safety-glasses

Agile53
12-19-15, 21:52
I have Oakley Prescription Half Jacket 2.0 XLs and absolutely love them. They are a game changer for me.

Getting ready to order a second pair. First ones have the Vr28 lenses. This next pair will have Clear lenses.

http://www.oakleysi.com/Root/Eyewear/Prescription/RX-Half-Jacket%C2%AE-2-0-XL/p/OO9144-01L-22-384

*If not MIL/GOV/LE or a Veteran, goto your local Lenscrafters or authorized Oakley Dealer or contact Oakley directly.

What HD1911 said above, can't argue w/ a brother that has 1911 in his SN.

I've been using Oakley M-Frames w/the Rx done by Oakley since 2005. Started w/ 1 dark lens, 1 clear & 1 persimmon (for low-light/fog/smoke) all interchangeable w/ the M-Frame.

Picked up a new dark lens last year (also run/bike in mine 5-6 days a wk), so I had incurred a few scratches over the years & thousands of rounds.

Just a few months back added an Oakley GasCan frame w/ Rx to use for shooting as the ear-piece is much thinner than the Gen1 M-Frame so an even better seal w/ my Sord earpro.

HD1911
12-19-15, 22:37
I've been using Oakley M-Frames w/the Rx done by Oakley since 2005. Started w/ 1 dark lens, 1 clear & 1 persimmon (brightens things in low-light/fog/smoke) all interchangeable w/ the M-Frame.

Picked up a new dark lens last year (run/bike in mine 5-6 days a wk), so I had incurred a few scratches over the years & thousands of rounds.

Just a few months back added an Oakley GasCan frame w/ Rx to use for shooting as the ear-piece is much thinner than the Gen1 M-Frame so an even better seal w/ my Sord earpro.

I have been hesitant to buy the M-Frame Rx since they are inserts. Really wanted the complete lens to be Rx. How you liking yours? I'm assuming pretty well since you've used them since 2005! :D

I bike/run/hike etc. in my Half Jacket 2.0 XLs as well, but mainly got them for work & shooting. I feel they offer more peripheral vision and better SA, than say M-Frames with Inserts. Actually, my one complaint, as you mentioned, is that the temples are indeed a little thick, and after awhile the pressure is noticeable when I'm wearing my TCI DEHP headsets (gel cups installed).

I wish Oakley would do the Ballistic M3s (real thin temples, like ESS Crossbow Suppressor) in Rx... I would give those a real close look... however, per Oakley, once they go Rx, they lose their Ballistic Rating Cert.

I have ESS Crossbow w/ URX Inserts and absolutely hate them compared to my Half Jackets.

On a side note: The other day at the range, got there at about 2 pm or so. I was shooting off and on in-between getting a couple newer folks spun up, well into it getting dark... and at one point, noticed my SF Scout Ultra didn't really look quite bright enough. I immediately went into Diag. Mode, wondering what the heck was wrong... then it dawned on me I still had my Half Jackets on! But until then, shooting in the dark under flood lights, the Vr28s were not a hindrance. It wasn't until I went pitch dark and fired up the ol' SF torch did I even notice I was still wearing them. That would have been a complete NoGo w/ Dark Grey or Black Iridium lenses. Was nice to know, that in a pinch, they could be worn in all but the darkest of lighting conditions.

Where the Vr28s really shine, IMHO, is in the freakin' woods! I wouldn't MTB without em! The view is actually much enhanced with em, everything is soo much better Contrasted and Vivid. Where they suck, is on the water on a bright sunny day... no bueno... but better than nothing for sure.

EDIT: I'll have to check out the Gas Cans in person... however, with the all plastic frames and nose piece.... man I dunno if I could give up the sweet UnObtainium Nose Piece and Temples!!! Once you go UnObtainium.....