PDA

View Full Version : P226 trip to the factory overdue?

sasquatchoslav
12-18-15, 04:07
How often do you guys send in a pistol to let the czars look it over? My Sig is turning 22 years old this year and I have swapped out mag springs, recoil springs, a new barrel and maybe 10 years ago my local guy did a new trigger/slide catch spring swap. Nothing else though. I have always kept it clean as a whistle and it's never given me any issues, but I guess at some point, perhaps long ago, I should have let the Sig mavens look it over?

DBZ220
12-18-15, 04:56
I do a detail strip and go through my SIGs every 5K fired or if submerged/exposed to mud, etc.
I have extensive armorers experience with the classic P series and really don't send them back to the factory unless something is majorly broken (barrel/frame,slide) or I want to take advantage of their occasional service package deals that include new night sights. Generally speaking all SIG does is an armorers level inspection, cleaning, and spring kit install plus the night sights. If you like the factory night sights it's not a bad deal and they generally have good return times.
Unless your SIG has a high round count, or has been having problems that weren't solved by replacing springs, your are good to go. Why did you need a new barrel though?

sasquatchoslav
12-18-15, 05:29
The new barrel wasn't a need per se probably 25k rounds through it. I am fortunate to have a couple of friends 'in the biz' and was given one of the chrome/phosphate barrels so figured why the heck not. I still have the old factory barrel, but figured if there was even a hint of accuracy I might be losing after 25k why not grab a spankin' new one. Of course there was no difference in accuracy with the new barrel it's the Indian and not the arrow for this old dog!

And to that end it has and continues to work like a champ was simply wondering if there might be an angle I wasn't considering as my old trusty gets on in age. Thanks for the insight.

mark5pt56
12-18-15, 06:06
I had to laugh the other day when someone balked at a WG P226 with maybe 4k through it. "that's a lot of rounds" :rolleyes:

sasquatchoslav
12-18-15, 06:13
I had to laugh the other day when someone balked at a WG P226 with maybe 4k through it. "that's a lot of rounds" :rolleyes:

My all time favorite question about my 'antiquated' Sig is: 'Why would you keep a gun so long anyway the technology is so much better now?'.

aguila327
12-19-15, 02:59
I do a detail strip and go through my SIGs every 5K fired or if submerged/exposed to mud, etc.
I have extensive armorers experience with the classic P series and really don't send them back to the factory unless something is majorly broken (barrel/frame,slide) or I want to take advantage of their occasional service package deals that include new night sights. Generally speaking all SIG does is an armorers level inspection, cleaning, and spring kit install plus the night sights. If you like the factory night sights it's not a bad deal and they generally have good return times.
Unless your SIG has a high round count, or has been having problems that weren't solved by replacing springs, your are good to go. Why did you need a new barrel though?
All you need to know above.

If they have a deal on action jobs send it in. I've had mine for 25 years and that's all I've sent it in for. Plus a slide refinish. She's still chugging along.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mack7.62
12-19-15, 05:19
The old style folded metal slide you are supposed to replace the roll pins every 5,000 or so rounds.

aguila327
12-19-15, 07:22
The pin replacement is mandatory everytime you remove it. its a one time use and an armorer level job. Even the milled slides have a 5,000 round recommended atorer strip cycle.