PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS M2

yrch21
12-18-15, 16:49
Walther will be offering a new PPS with PPQ M2 design cues. Back strap safety is gone, as well as the German paddle magazine release.

See:
Walther's official video (https://www.facebook.com/WaltherArms/videos/331654480291575/)
Outdoor Wire's cached Page (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mnWTOaeJu_gJ:www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/145039619710vb4zk66ug+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

It's good to see another option in the ever so popular SingleStack market.

WickedWillis
12-18-15, 17:22
Walther will be offering a new PPS with PPQ M2 design cues. Back strap safety is gone, as well as the German paddle magazine release.

See:
Walther's official video (https://www.facebook.com/WaltherArms/videos/331654480291575/)
Outdoor Wire's cached Page (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mnWTOaeJu_gJ:www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/145039619710vb4zk66ug+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

It's good to see another option in the ever so popular SingleStack market.

The current PPS is easily one of the finest single stack 9's on the market, most places sell it for way too much however. My friend purchased his for just over $600 a few years back. If this comes in between the Shield and Glock 43 price-wise, it will be huge for Walther.

WickedWillis
12-18-15, 17:22
DOUBLE TAP, SORRY

yrch21
12-18-15, 17:38
The classic model with German paddle mag release can be purchased around $360.

I agree, hopefully the M2 can be had around G43 price.

hickuleas
12-18-15, 19:09
That is probably why the PPS has been so heavily discounted everywhere. One of my favorite compact pistols and just snatched a PPS 40 for $337.00 at Buds. Surprised this little pistol doesn't get more praise.

notorious_ar15
12-18-15, 19:17
It's always nice to see companies that listen to customer feedback.

I like the HK style paddle mag release, but the undercut trigger guard looks good. Losing the backstrap safety feature is another plus in my opinion.

t1tan
12-18-15, 20:00
I'd be interested if it wasn't for the button magazine release, but I love my PPS as is, my only concern is potential magazine availability in the future for the now "classic".

Auto-X Fil
12-18-15, 20:26
The classic model with German paddle mag release can be purchased around $360.

I agree, hopefully the M2 can be had around G43 price.

Walter dropped the prices a ton. I paid $395 for mine. Another local shop has them for $385 now. Plenty of shops paid too much for their stock to let them go at that price, but don't worry - prices are coming down hard.

Auto-X Fil
12-18-15, 20:27
I'd be interested if it wasn't for the button magazine release, but I love my PPS as is, my only concern is potential magazine availability in the future for the now "classic".

Agree. I want no backstrap safety, but with the paddle release. I haven't had any trouble with my backstrap, and I drop-tested it and tried to make it malfunction, but it still seems like a solution looking for a problem. I might actually pin mine this weekend if I get bored.

t1tan
12-18-15, 21:48
Agree. I want no backstrap safety, but with the paddle release. I haven't had any trouble with my backstrap, and I drop-tested it and tried to make it malfunction, but it still seems like a solution looking for a problem. I might actually pin mine this weekend if I get bored.

Ive thought about it, somebody did a write up on pinning theirs a while back on waltzer-forum when I was considering buying it at first, just didn't want to risk ****ing up an otherwise great weapon. I was unsure about it at first but in 3 years it hasn't seemed to be an issue.

BatteryOperated
12-19-15, 05:32
If this is the final design the accessory rail is gone also.

Hmac
12-19-15, 07:51
I've had a PPS for several years and is virtually the only gun I ever carry. It's an excellent firearm. The backstrap safety is dumb, but I can't think of when I removed it last...pretty much ignore it. I've noted from the Walther forum site that it appears that the paddle keeps some people from buying this gun and the PPQ M1, and there are others that wouldn't buy either gun without it. I'm completely indifferent to the method of magazine release and couldn't care less whether it's a button or a paddle. As to the accessory rail...I have a TLR-3 for the PPS, and even have a kydex holster for it with a light. That works well, but I can't think of a time ever when I needed it or carried the gun with the light attached. Probably, getting rid of the accessory rail was a marketing mistake, but it certainly wouldn't affect me in the way I use that gun.

BatteryOperated
12-19-15, 08:38
An accessory rail should not be a huge concern. It may even be counter-productive on a single stack pistol if you are buying for pocket type or IWB conceal purposes. The add-on type light / or laser adds bulk and weight. However, some would like the option to do so. A Crimson Laserguard is manufactured for the most popular single stack pistols in production today without the need of a rail. The PPS is one of the best sellers, however, the usual Walther lack of aftermarket support again becomes a factor.The Crimson type lasers are made for virtually every other single stack model out there except Walther. In Walther's case, the rail attachment may be the only way to attach a light (TLR-3) or laser (TLR-4) for quick target acquisition.

gtmtnbiker98
12-19-15, 20:02
I'm picking a third PPS tomorrow, this M2 is not for me.

tb-av
12-19-15, 20:40
I've had a PPS for several years and is virtually the only gun I ever carry.

Same. I pit that rubber sleeve on mine. Forget who makes it. But it damn sure isn't coming apart and it gives just a nice extra grip feel. I think I paid over $600 and I have no regrets. You can get them for $360 today. Buy them for your friends and family.

HCrum87hc
12-21-15, 11:27
That certainly explains the drastic drop in price recently. I've been tempted to buy another. I love my PPS (and my PPQ M1 for that matter) and have not had any issues with it at all, including the backstrap. I actually installed some talon grips on both of my Walthers this weekend. I love the paddle mag release, but Walther has to go with the market. I may pick one up.

Hmac
12-21-15, 12:19
Same. I pit that rubber sleeve on mine. Forget who makes it. But it damn sure isn't coming apart and it gives just a nice extra grip feel. I think I paid over $600 and I have no regrets. You can get them for $360 today. Buy them for your friends and family.

Makes a great stocking-stuffer!

RHINOWSO
12-21-15, 16:45
I'm picking a third PPS tomorrow, this M2 is not for me.
Yeah I'll be grabbing another original in the next month as well.

vereceleritas
12-21-15, 17:02
I've been considering a single stack 9mm for a while and this PPS price drop pushed me over the edge. Got one at a gun show this weekend for $370 plus tax. $60 less than the cheapest G43 I could find.

t1tan
12-21-15, 23:46
Walther replied to my post on Facebook today and addressed concerns over future parts/mag availability.

"The PPS M1 is and will still be available - the magazines will also be available for the M1."

VelveteenMole
12-22-15, 09:54
I just bought a G43 and now I see this! Depending on dimensions, this looks like the pistol I've been waiting for years for. I loved the thumbable striker, reliability, accuracy, and great trigger of the PPS, but hated the paddle release, sharp corners, backstrap safety and long, jutting butt. Not to mention the floorplate teeth that would frequently find blood. The ergos look downright biological on this new model, and the dished sides on the dust cover should be an amazing control enhancer for locking the gun into the support thumb. I dont see why I won't be able to bob the butt on this one, and I think the likely grip height and length will make it even more comfortable and concealable than the G43 in appendix carry.

I'll probably be selling the Glock.

Well done, Walther.

GregP220
12-22-15, 20:01
I have some respect for the M1 but the M2 looks a lot better to me. I abhor paddle mag releases.

Buttons are what God and John Moses Browning deemed fit for a mag release :cool:

yrch21
12-22-15, 21:21
Buttons are what God and John Moses Browning deemed fit for a mag release :cool:

This has to be the best/most redeeming response I've seen in the three years I've been on M4carbine:D

But I just want to say that even Moses in the plain of Moab prophesied that afterward God will raise up one like him, and that person lead the people into a city not made with hands but an everlasting kingdom. Now that we have the promise and inheritance of the eternal kingdom (paddle) made known to us by the coming of Emmanuel, let us not return to theocracy (button) which was merely form and shadow of that which has come but not fully manifested.

Merry Christmas.

Soli Deo Gloria.

teutonicpolymer
12-22-15, 21:22
It's like Walther read my mind or something... I liked the PPS but refused to buy it because of the backstrap safety. Yeah I know you can put the rubber grip around the backstrap but I don't want the reliability of the gun to be dependent on what is basically a wide rubber band... The paddle mag release was also not my cup of tea (not necessarily because it is a paddle mag release, but because of how it is designed).

If this thing isn't a total blunder when released and is priced competitively I think I'm sold.

Hmac
01-03-16, 20:35
Came up on their website earlier today.

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/pps/pps-m2/

yrch21
01-04-16, 00:25
Price reference, $415 credit card or $403 cash/check:

Walther PPS M2 9mm Pistol 3.2in Black 7+1 Polymer Grip (http://www.kygunco.com/walther-pps-m2-9mm-pistol-32in-black-71-polymer-grip-112901)

Lower than the street price for Glock 43, a tad more than Shield.

Hmac
01-04-16, 06:59
They'll sell a ton of these things, I suspect.

Here's the first review I've seen so far.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/we-shoot-the-new-walther-pps-m2-new-gun-review/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20160104_BlogDigest_153&utm_campaign=/blog/we-shoot-the-new-walther-pps-m2-new-gun-review/

carolvs
01-04-16, 10:41
Back strap safety is gone

AT LAST. That failure point was a deal-breaker.

bear13
01-04-16, 12:11
This looks great. I like the changes and improvements. While I did like the paddle on my vp9 all my other guns are push buttons. I am so used to the push buttons and now that the vp9 is gone I have no problems. I do understand why some of you are bothered though. If that is what you train and are best with then that does cause a issue.

yrch21
01-04-16, 12:53
They'll sell a ton of these things, I suspect.

Here's the first review I've seen so far.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/we-shoot-the-new-walther-pps-m2-new-gun-review/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20160104_BlogDigest_153&utm_campaign=/blog/we-shoot-the-new-walther-pps-m2-new-gun-review/
That video says it will be shipping this week.

Here are a couple additional videos:

Kentucky Gun Co PPS M2 Review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8ipJHUUAA)
Walther's official video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAphgmpA70)

Noodles
01-04-16, 18:30
Something I had just considered....

Look at HOW BAD the Walther CCP was. Last year I was at SHOT, I felt the gun for two seconds before deciding it was a cheap POS with a garbage trigger. Add that the Walther USA people were talking nonstop about "how it's so easy to rack!" you know "for girls". :\

Then come the plague of CCP failures and QC issues.

I bet this was their backup plan all along! CCP and if it fails, quick take the one gun they should have been focusing on all along (the PPQ) and make the PPS (which now having sold mind and switching to a Shield I recognize the PPS to be a terrible uncomfortable gun under recoil with at best a factory glock trigger) into something that resembles the PPQ since people talk about how comfortable that gun is (because of it's size the PPS doesn't have).

Walther.... I'm kinda glad I walked away from you. But all the same, I'll bet this was their backup plan all along.

Hmac
01-04-16, 19:27
Something I had just considered....

Look at HOW BAD the Walther CCP was. Last year I was at SHOT, I felt the gun for two seconds before deciding it was a cheap POS with a garbage trigger. Add that the Walther USA people were talking nonstop about "how it's so easy to rack!" you know "for girls". :\

Then come the plague of CCP failures and QC issues.

I bet this was their backup plan all along! CCP and if it fails, quick take the one gun they should have been focusing on all along (the PPQ) and make the PPS (which now having sold mind and switching to a Shield I recognize the PPS to be a terrible uncomfortable gun under recoil with at best a factory glock trigger) into something that resembles the PPQ since people talk about how comfortable that gun is (because of it's size the PPS doesn't have).

Walther.... I'm kinda glad I walked away from you. But all the same, I'll bet this was their backup plan all along.

Yeah right.

Lot of people don't share your observations on either the PPS. Your opinion of the CCP seems pretty accurate to me. Nefarious marketing plan? Not so much.

bad aim
01-04-16, 19:29
I love my PPQ and have been waiting for Walther to release a PPQc or something similar. Looks like this is the answer for now (minus the sweet Q trigger).

Hmac
01-05-16, 06:34
I love my PPQ and have been waiting for Walther to release a PPQc or something similar. Looks like this is the answer for now (minus the sweet Q trigger).

Me too, but the PPS M2 has a PPQ-style grip, so I'm not sure Walther is inclined that way. Fortunately, the HK VP9SK should be along shortly.

BatteryOperated
01-05-16, 10:00
I am looking forward to the release. It would be the perfect companion to my PPQ as others have stated. I can pick up a Talo Glock 43 for around $499.00. If the price point stays as projected the PPS M2 with a set of Meps will be about the same price.

Hmac
01-05-16, 14:43
I am looking forward to the release. It would be the perfect companion to my PPQ as others have stated. I can pick up a Talo Glock 43 for around $499.00. If the price point stays as projected the PPS M2 with a set of Meps will be about the same price.

I just ordered two of these (one for a buddy) from my LGS. He checked his distributor, found they were being delivered today, and got pricing on the non-phosphoric sight version. He quoted me $430 + sales tax for each pistol.

Mark71
01-05-16, 20:59
I just ordered two of these (one for a buddy) from my LGS. He checked his distributor, found they were being delivered today, and got pricing on the non-phosphoric sight version. He quoted me $430 + sales tax for each pistol.

Please post up your impressions/range report when it comes in. I am looking to pick one up myself as soon as my local shop gets them in.

Hmac
01-05-16, 22:44
Please post up your impressions/range report when it comes in. I am looking to pick one up myself as soon as my local shop gets them in.

I will, but in this new environment that Obama has created, and especially with a new and likely popular pistol, I will be interested to see what the delivery will end up being.

Hmac
01-17-16, 13:01

I just picked up a new PPS M2 yesterday morning from Dave Timm (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?49480-Dave-HuldraArms). He ordered a couple, one for me and one for a friend late last week and they were both delivered in a couple of days. My buddy is a huge Glock fan, in fact this PPS M2 is his first non-Glock handgun in a decade. He had used a Glock 26, didn't like it because of bulk and grip, has been carrying a Glock 42, but didn't really like it enough to consider a Glock 43 now that they're available. He did like my PPS Classic, the way it shot, the way it felt. He opted to get the PPS M2 sight unseen based on my assurance that it was likely to be an improvement over the PPS Classic. He absolutely did not care for the paddle mag release on the PPS Classic - deal-breaker for him. Dave provided his usual meticulous customer service. I've known him for years. He is utterly reliable.

I've had a PPS Classic (BD) for a couple of years and it has about 1500 rounds through it. I've shot it or my wife's PPS AK in defensive carry pistol courses. My wife has a PPS Classic (AK) - she made me get my own because she got tired of loaning me hers. I was OK with the trigger on the PPS Classic -- it was a little creepy, even after 1500 rounds, but I shot it well and it has been utterly reliable, shooting both ball and Hornady Critical Defense. I am a big fan of the PPS Classic. It's a great firearm for concealed carry for someone with my body (BMI 25, 32 inch waist) and my wife who is tall and slim (although if she carries, she generally carries in her purse). The PPS M2 version is identical in size to the PPS Classic.

The PPS M2 will be available in .40 cal later this year, I hear.

Walther will reportedly continue to offer the PPS Classic, at least for the forseeable future. Presumably that's for people who are wedded to the paddle release. No official word from Walther, but I would be astonished if they ever make the PPS M2 with a paddle release.

So, I picked up the PPS M2 from Dave at his shop yesterday morning and later went to the range. My observations:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the PPS M2 fits my DeSantis Speed Scabbard perfectly. It does not fit my BladeTech OWB, nor does it fit my RCS kydex. The reason is that there is a slight inward bevel to the end of the slide on the PPS Classic whereas the forward-grooved end of the PPS M2 is squared. So, I heated the RCS holster a little toward the end with a heat gun, jammed the PPS M2 in there and put it in my kydex press while it cooled. Perfect! The M2 snaps into the modified RCS holster perfectly. Likewise, the magazines fit all my existing mag pouches.

Carrying....it is absolutely every bit as comfortable and concealable as the PPS Classic, even with the 7 round magazine in it.

Shooting one vs the other at the range...the M2 is noticeably more natural to grip and the grip texture is likewise noticeable. I have smallish hands -- I wear medium PIGs and a 7 1/2 surgical glove. The undercut trigger and the contouring are the big factors in the improved grip and handling. I am a huge fan of the way they implemented the button mag release. Very natural, easy to find and activate, zero tendency (for me) to release accidentally. I like it much better than the paddle release on a gun this size, despite the fact that I also own two PPQs and a VP9 and shoot them in Action Pistol.

Absolutely no cycling issues (so far) in the PPS M2 shooting 200 rounds of some kind of 114gr ball, and about 3 magazines of Hornady critical defense.

Felt recoil -- I'm not recoil sensitive. I shoot the PPS Classic fast and accurately. Having said that, I think I can notice a difference in getting the PPS M2 back on target in rapid fire. That's subjective...I didn't put the timer on it to compare but I'm confident that it's better.

Magazines -- not interchangeable with the PPS Classic magazines. The standard version pistol comes with a 6 round (two-finger grip) and a 7 round magazine (three-finger grip). An 8 round mag is also available. I don't know if or when extra magazines are or will be available.

Magazine release - button only. Not ambidextrous. According to Walther, the magazine button can't be switched to the right side for left-handed shooters.

Backstrap -- the silly removable backstrap/disconnect from the PPS Classic is gone. Likewise, there are no interchangeable grip panels.

Sights -- standard 3-dot. The LE version of the PPS M2 comes with phosphoric sights. If I want night sights, I guess I'll pick some tritium sights for the thing. It uses the same sights at the P99/PPQ/PPS.

Trigger - I'm used to the smooth-but-a-little creepy trigger of my PPS Classic and shoot it well. The trigger of the PPS M2 is an improvement in break, but I do note that the take-up is longer. It is not, in any way comparable to the PPQ trigger. It's a little better than the PPS Classic, and much better than any S&W or Glock compact or sub-compact that I've ever shot. This is comparing My M2 with a couple of hundred rounds to my Classic with about 1500 rounds. I'd summarize by saying that the trigger of the PPS M2 is probably the best out-of-the-box trigger I've experienced on a non-pre-cocked striker-fired pistol.

All-in-all, the PPS M2, especially in the low-to-mid $400s, is a huge winner for Walther in the US CCW market. It is so vastly superior to the Glock 43 or Shield that it's hard for me to imagine anyone choosing one of those other two guns. I can't speak to the double-stack subcompacts like the G-26 or the P99c since I've never carried them much...only enough to know that those stubby little bastards simply don't work for me as well as a single stack.

http://ssequine.net/ppsm2s.jpg

bad aim
01-17-16, 15:31
Thanks for the review, that's very encouraging to hear. Sometimes, I do wonder what Walther's marketing gurus are thinking, but one thing that Walther seems to get right is listening to the customer for what they want.

Lots of folks wanting a button release for the PPQ? M2.
Folks wanting a .45 PPQ? You got it.
But the whole CCP debacle is a giant "WTF"?

Interested to see what comes down the pipeline.m

tb-av
01-17-16, 17:03
Sometimes, I do wonder what Walther's marketing gurus are thinking,...

I can tell what they were thinking. Have everybody that appreciates the PPS own two.

Hmac
01-17-16, 17:24
I can tell what they were thinking. Have everybody that appreciates the PPS own two.
That marketing concept certainly works for Apple.

tb-av
01-17-16, 18:37
Yep, and it also models another large German electronics company that is enjoying a strong expansion. Model a quality weapon around all the desired features from all the competition and drop the price. It's hard to not get the public's attention with that. When you have free marketing via Internet forums.... sounds like a winner to me.

Mark71
01-18-16, 16:07
Hmac,

Thanks for the detailed write up and review. I love my M1 PPS and looking forward to adding the M2.

MeanCarbine
02-11-16, 18:16
Holy moly are these hot. I can't find one anywhere local.

Hmac
02-11-16, 20:02
Magazines for the PPS M2 not available anywhere.

Just at the point where Walther demonstrates some marketing savvy, they step on their wank again.

bjxds
02-11-16, 21:12
Magazines for the PPS M2 not available anywhere.

Just at the point where Walther demonstrates some marketing savvy, they step on their wank again.

The pistol's aint easy to find either

yrch21
02-12-16, 13:18
This morning Davidson's (gun genie) had 97 in stock but within 4 hours they were all gone.. Be sure to sign up for email alert!

JackFanToM
02-12-16, 13:36
I get what Walther tried to do with the CCP - it was designed to be lower felt recoil and easier to rack than traditional 9mms. This was designed to get smaller framed people to use a 9mm defense gun vs. a smaller caliber, and yet have similar felt recoil and easier to rack. The idea was sound, the execution was terribly flawed, but no company hits a grandslam with every product. I am just happy to see how many companies are now in the previously Glock only polymer game. More options, more innovation, more competitive pricing...love it all, even the fails.

Big A
05-23-16, 09:03
I rented a PPS M2 at my local indoor range Saturday. Very comfortable grip and a nice trigger from the factory. I kept shooting low because I was anticipating the break with the first couple of mags but once I slowed it down some I was shooting POA at 15 yards. Very accurate little blaster for it's size and it didn't seem to move around in my hand as much as my friend's G43 did. I only put 100rnds through it but I must say it has piqued my interests.

The LGS quoted me $439.99 + taxes/fees. Is that a reasonable price on these? Both the stores I do business with don't have them in stock and would have to order it.

Hmac
05-23-16, 09:52
I paid $430 from a buddy/FFL within days of its release. Prices have climbed a little bit as availability gets tougher. I'd say that $439 is a good, fair price.

karandom
05-23-16, 18:50
I paid $434 for mine on Gun Broker in early April fyi.