PDA

View Full Version : Buffer setup for mid length 16"

mjpgolf1
12-18-15, 21:40
I am in the middle of my first complete custom build and am now just plain confused as to which setup I should run on this gun. I bought my first AR this past year "Ruger AR556" to become familiar with the platform and I have swapped out just about every component in that gun aside from the barrel, upper/lower receivers, and the buffer tube setup. So now I have this pile of parts, which I did extensive research when putting together and I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out which buffer tube setup would suit this gun best. So I'm looking for some personal experience and advice on the direction I should go. The parts list is as follows.

-16" 223 Wilde LaRue Tactical SS Barrel M4 feed ramps mid length gas system
-15" BCM alpha rail
-LaRue Tactical gas block
-Aero Precision Upper receiver
-Spikes Tactical BCG
-AXTS Raptor ambit charging handle
-Aero Precision lower receiver gen 2
-Geissele G2S trigger
-Magpul CTS mil spec stock
-Magpul MBUS sights

I still need a lower parts kit and a buffer tube assembly which leads me to my question here of what setup would you experienced folks run on this gun. Thanks in advance.

BFS
12-18-15, 22:08
Vltor A5 system.

Most here will also just say "A5!"

Im at the point where I dont really build with anything but A5.

firefighter37
12-18-15, 23:46
Vltor A5 system.

Most here will also just say "A5!"

Im at the point where I dont really build with anything but A5.

This is my feeling as well. I don't build anything without the A5 system these days.

ColtSeavers
12-18-15, 23:52
I'm actually weird. I am not fond of adjustable stocks anymore and have switched completely over to fixed stocks on all my ar builds.

I use two different fixed stock setups.

Setup one: ACE Skeleton stock with no buttpad, standard rifle buffer and Sprinco green spring. This is for my longer range oriented ARs.

Setup two: Rock River Arms Entry stock, DPMS 1" stock spacer/extender, ST-T2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring. This is a perfect all purpose stock length and is on my ARs that are not geared for longer range shooting. I would also suggest flipping the sling loop to face backwards to roughly match the same angle as the stock for more wrist/forearm clearance.

I would suggest going with the second setup. The buffer will be debated, and to preempt the flames, an H2 buffer would also be a wise choice in place of the ST-T2.

You could also always just use the included stock buffer and spring as well for either setup as they will work.

I've found that as time marches on, the adjustable stock almost always gets extended to the first or second notch out and then gets used for everything that way. The only time I ever extended adjustable stocks all the way out was to have them reach the middle rack shelf cutouts in the safe. I now just put an ammo can under the buttstock. You get the benefit of a more stable stock and the option of using an A2 trapdoor buttplate if you want extra storage space for some reason.

_Stormin_
12-19-15, 11:04
Nobody has said it, but what's the plan for the rifle?

Given the barrel you've bought, you could have yourself a great rifle to shoot at greater distances. That Wylde chamber allows for fantastic accuracy. You can pick up any one of a number of good 1-4 optics, or even greater magnification if that's what you prefer, and punch tiny groups all day. If that's your plan, perhaps a rifle extension and a fixed/precision stock would be a better set-up than the CTR. You can easily save the CTR for a latter build, trade for a different stock, or flip it for cash.

You also might want a defensive use carbine to take to the range/train, and the barrel just happened fit what you needed. Then the CTR on an A5 system (VLTOR (https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system/re-10a5sr-a5-receiver-extension/) and BCM (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm) both make great versions of these systems) won't collapse all the way to the nut, but they run well together. That and a quality RDS will have you set. I have a similar setup on one rifle and it's damn good.

Don't get we wrong, a fixed stock rifle (or precision stock rifle) with a 1-4 optic can be a decent, albeit heavy, tool for just about anything. The CTR on an A5 with a quality RDS can punch paper out at 400-600 yards too, if you're good and pretty patient. The rub is, neither will be optimal tools for the job, and if you're already got one rifle for one task, the next rifle is often used more if it's built to handle an additional task. Some of us learn this after spending the money on several very similar rifles and then shooting only the one we "like the most" a majority of the time. You've got all of us to have learned that lesson ahead of time for you. :-)

titsonritz
12-19-15, 13:27
I see no reason not to use an A5 on new builds unless you want a fixed stock.

mjpgolf1
12-19-15, 13:31
First off let me say thanks for the replies. Any info gathered here will hopefully aid in my decision making.

As for the purpose of this rifle I would be lying if I said I had a specific purpose in mind. I did research each individual part I've bought to be sure I was getting high quality but like "stormin" mentioned above, like a lot of new AR owners I did sort of spend a bunch of money throwing together a bunch of parts to see what I end up with. The LaRue barrel came about because of a great sale they had on them, as before that I was getting ready to buy either a spikes tactical chf or a Daniel defense chf barrel when the LaRue deal came up so I guess that kind of shifted the way this rifle if going. I was planning on running a 1x4 scope on this one though because I have a Red dot sight on my other rifle. So all in all I guess this is just going to be an all around do it all rifle that has the capability of being pretty accurate at longer distances. I do know I want the retractable stock and not a fixed.

I guess I'm like a lot of new comers to the AR world as in I just wanted to build a rifle and didn't really know exactly what I wanted. It has been fun though.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what else I should do to this gun I'm all ears. My other "first" AR is as mentioned above a Ruger AR556. However it has a Troy 15" free float alpha rail, spikes tactical BCG, BCM gunfighter charging handle, Troy low pro gas block, Geissele G2S trigger, Magpul Moe stock, Magpul BAD lever, Magpul K2+ grip, KNS anti roll pins, vortex Strikefire II RDS with the Vortex 3x magnifier, and Magpul gen 2 BUIS, so there isn't much stock left on this gun and it shoots great. The barrel on the Ruger is a CHF 1:8 twist and it's actually extremely accurate. so that is what I'm working with as of now.

Thanks again.

_Stormin_
12-19-15, 15:06
If you're set on the stock moving, get the A5 buffer system.

samuse
12-19-15, 15:11
That barrel will more than likely run with any combination of spring and buffer you can put behind it.

I'd go carbine/H2 or standard A5.

Iraqgunz
12-19-15, 15:48
I probably wouldn't provide any exact information without knowing the gas port size. The default answer would be the carbine H buffer. A midlength with a .076 gas port using 5.56 ammo will function with an A5H3 buffer.

silviacrazed
12-19-15, 21:06
My 16" middy has a Sprinco red spring and a h2 buffer. It's a little over gassed and was throwing brass forward with a Sprinco blue spring and H buffer. Like others have said, it should run with a lot of combos. I've heard great things about the A5, I've just never run it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

sbrown3
12-30-15, 00:17
Running a stock spring with a Spike's ST-T2 buffer with no problems