PDA

View Full Version : First SBR -- 11.5" lightweight middy

henschman
12-19-15, 11:21
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/340C67A0-75BC-4075-BB08-8E156A9B24F4_zpsvddllwaj.jpg

The idea behind this build was for a fighting/2A purpose carbine that would still be handy with my (still in jail) Silencerco Omega attached. I originally had a PSA 12" CHF FN upper set aside for this project. The thing is, I really hate gov't profile barrels. I am a big fan of lightweight barrels for most rifles for their weight and handling qualities, and I particularly wanted to avoid a needlessly muzzle-heavy setup for a rifle that will already have a can hanging off it most of the time. I thought about a BCM upper with the 11.5" ELW barrel, which is pretty much exactly what I like as far as barrel profile, but then I heard about Faxon's new 11.5" middy Big Gunner barrel. I had previously bought a 16" middy Gunner barrel from them, and was very impressed with the quality. Black River Tactical ran a Halloween sale on them for $149, and it sealed the deal.

I put the Faxon barrel on an Aero Precision upper with a SLR Sentry 6 adjustable gas block under a BCM KMR-A 10" handguard. My SBR lower is a PSA with an Anderson LPK, Black Rain trigger, and PSA stock kit with 7075 receiver extension, H2 buffer, and ACS-L stock and PSA overmolded grip. I added a KAC 2-600 rear sight, MBUS Gen 2 front sight, and Aimpoint Comp M4. The only thing it lacks is the muzzle device -- I ordered a bunch of Silencerco suppressor mounts for this and several other rifles from L.A. Police Gear back in September, and it turned out they are on back order. Still no word on when they might have them. I'm getting real close to canceling that order and going through somebody else. The only thing keeping me from it is that I don't really need them until the can gets here. Anyway, I just put an A2 FH from the parts bin on it for the time being.

Well, I definitely met my goal of making this thing light and handy. It weighs right at 7 lbs. unloaded, with optics. Between the lightweight barrel and handguard, the front end is ridiculously light and maneuverable. Noticeably better than the 12" PSA upper I was originally going to use. It balances toward the rear of the mag well. The Omega suppressor I have on the way is light enough that this will still be a very handy setup suppressed, and should be about the same length as a regular 16" carbine. Exactly what I wanted.

This barrel has a 0.110" gas port. It is designed to be run with an adjustable gas block. I am looking forward to getting to the range and getting it all tuned. I really like the SLR gas block and its click adjustments. It will make it very easy to go from suppressed to unsuppressed settings.

Wake27
12-19-15, 14:29
I think that's the first time I've ever seen different BUIS on the same rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
12-19-15, 15:21
Let us know how it runs. I'm especially interested since it's a mid-length gas on an 11.5" bbl.

henschman
12-19-15, 20:50

Really? I don't think I have any rifles with matching sets. It makes sense to spend extra on a nice rear sight if you want some additional feature like adjustable elevation or something, but it doesn't make sense to buy the equally pricy front sight that goes with it, when it doesn't do anything the cheap MBUS 2 doesn't do, and probably isn't even as durable. Oh boy, it folds and has adjustable elevation with 4 clicks per rotation, just like every front sight in existence. I use the MBUS 2 for all my rail mounted front sights.

Let us know how it runs. I'm especially interested since it's a mid-length gas on an 11.5" bbl.

Will do.

JulyAZ
12-19-15, 21:05
Really? I don't think I have any rifles with matching sets. It makes sense to spend extra on a nice rear sight if you want some additional feature like adjustable elevation or something, but it doesn't make sense to buy the equally pricy front sight that goes with it, when it doesn't do anything the cheap MBUS 2 doesn't do, and probably isn't even as durable. Oh boy, it folds and has adjustable elevation with 4 clicks per rotation, just like every front sight in existence. I use the MBUS 2 for all my rail mounted front sights.

Holy hell, someone sensible. I'm sorry if you wanna fit in you're gonna need to learn how to justify outlandish purchases, and stop bringing logic to the Internet.

Nice build though.

WatchTheWorldBern
12-19-15, 22:37
Good thinking on the MBUS pro/no pro sight combo. I like that.

FaxonNathan
12-20-15, 11:04
We had to save a photo of the rifle. Good looking machine!

Caduceus
12-20-15, 17:02

Really? I have that set up on 4 uppers

Wake27
12-20-15, 17:36
Really? I have that set up on 4 uppers

When both of the sights are folding, yeah. Never noticed it done before. It drives an OCD part of me crazy haha.

Slvr Surfr
12-20-15, 17:43
Nice stick! Keep us updated with how she shoots. I also am interested in hearing how the middy sbr works.

cosme9242
12-26-15, 13:50
Interesting point I've never thought of about using different BUIS's. I guess the OCD is the cause. I actually found a front MBUS Pro in my parts bin had waited a month or two so I could buy the matching rear.

henschman
12-31-15, 09:36
lol, the folding sights are the last thing I thought people would be talking about on this build. If anything, I figured most comments would be about the unconventional mid gas on an 11.5" barrel. I've had that KAC rear sight for years, and it has been on several FSB rifles (including a buddy's M4 in Afghanistan), so I never needed a rail mounted front to go with it. I recently put together a few projects with free floats over low pro gas blocks, including this one, and just bought a bunch of MBUS Gen 2s for them all without thinking anything of it. I'm OCD about a lot of things, but guns aren't one of them. I guess I have more of a tool mindset toward them than a lot of people.

bnanaphone
12-31-15, 10:48
Henschman,

Have you checked out SilencerCo's webstore? They are running a sale right now, which ends very soon, and you can get muzzle devices for GREAT prices!

I added a link that may save you some time, check it out. I just snagged two threaded barrels and saved $66 per barrel off their regular price.

SilencerCo Webstore (http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle)

Oh yeah, nice SBR too!

Stengun
01-01-16, 09:18
Howdy,

Nice lightweight build!

Back in the "Day" the entire reason the military used the M-16 Commando is for a smaller, lightweight version of the M-16 rifle and nowadays people want to add 3-5 pounds of "stuff" to their CAR which just doesn't make any sense to me.

Paul

henschman
01-03-16, 19:30
I got to the range and shot it for the first time today. Once I got the gas block set, it ran like a sewing machine. The gas needed to be on the 7th position from closed for the bolt to lock back on the bolt catch with an H2 buffer. I really love the SLR gas block and its click adjustments. It is much, much better than the JP gas block I have used before, which had no detent on the set screw and required loc tite or super glue on the screw to keep it from moving, and even then was an iffy proposition and had lots of gas leakage.

I was at a 25 yard indoor range that didn't allow positional shooting, so I couldn't do any real accuracy testing, but the rifle shot really nice. Recoil was basically non-existent. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the mid gas and how much is due to the brake I had on it -- probably mostly the brake (it was a Kel Tec brake from the parts bin that came on a PLR-16 I used to own) -- But in any case the rifle was exceptionally soft shooting. It produced significant blast and flash at the indoor range -- I had to put my plugs in a little tighter after the first shot!

I am very pleased with the rifle so far. I am very much looking forward to seeing what it will do from field positions and at greater distance. I am looking forward to getting my suppressor out of NFA jail. I am also really looking forward to running with this rifle at the Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun (10K run with rifle and pistol stages along the way).

Stengun
01-03-16, 21:01
Howdy,

Pretty cool!

We needs pics! And a vid of the muzzle blast and flash would be nice too!

Paul

Brahmzy
01-04-16, 07:49
An 11.5 middy. Dang I bet that's a nice shooter.

henschman
01-04-16, 18:26
I'll be shooting the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile" with her tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how she does.

Rayrevolver
01-05-16, 19:07
I built a similar rifle (with Vltor A5H2) and started a thread below:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173315-11-5%94-Mid-Length-Barrel-Discussion

I let this guy shoot it a few rounds so I could take some video with the Gemtech Trek attached:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcsRjZk-df8

At some point I will try an LMT E-carrier and see if it changes the amount of gas needed. That said, I remember about 7 clicks when I shot it unsuppressed, and now leave it at 6 for 223 pressure ammo suppressed. I guess there is not a whole lot of change in the settings for this combo of SLR+11.5 Mid.

henschman
01-05-16, 22:59
Yep, I read that thread prior to buying mine. It was good to be able to see how well a KMR 10 goes with the barrel. Your vid makes me look forward to getting my can, which hopefully will be approved sometime this month. I'd be interested to see a pic of your complete rifle.

I shot mine out to 500 yards today with XM193. It delivered just under 20" (just under 4 MOA) 5-shot groups at that distance with irons co-witnessed through an Aimpoint tube, from prone monopodded. That equates to slightly under man-sized groups. Groups were better at closer ranges -- around 2-3 MOA at 100 yards. I consider it decent for cheap ammo and short radius irons with a fat post. I could probably do better with the Aimpoint... but today was all about getting the irons zeroed and come-ups comfirmed for distance shooting. The Run 'n Gun I'm doing at the end of this month has a 500 yard stage, so I wanted to be sure I could get the hits with this thing before I decide whether or not to use it for that event. Looks like that's an affirmative.

In other commentary, the data my Strelok ballistic calc app spit out was highly accurate. I just ended up tweaking elevation up one click from what the data said to use at 500.

Also, I wrung out my other Faxon barreled rifle (16" middy gunner, free floated with a 1-4x scope). I shot a bit better with it than I did with the SBR, as expected.

Rayrevolver
01-06-16, 21:10
I traded into a 1-10x scope but am waiting for a mount to show up. I will shoot some 10 round groups at 100 yards with CBC 77gr and Black Hills 55gr. Unfortunately I have no place to shoot further than that locally.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0106162107a_zpsqppu8dme.jpg

henschman
01-06-16, 21:39
Very cool. I see you went with a KAC rear sight too. I can't believe you didn't use the matching front! :p lol.

Looking forward to seeing how yours does with the scope and good ammo. I will eventually try out some 77 grain hand loads in mine.

LoveAR
01-06-16, 21:58
To be more lightweight...why not go with a T1?

henschman
01-12-16, 16:08
To be more lightweight...why not go with a T1?

I bought 3 of these Comp M4s at a gun show for a hell of a deal, so they have been my go-to red dots... but I have entertained thoughts of trading one for a T1 or T2. That would definitely make for a lighter rifle... the Comp M4 is built like a brick.

usmcvet
01-12-16, 16:14
Howdy,

Nice lightweight build!

Back in the "Day" the entire reason the military used the M-16 Commando is for a smaller, lightweight version of the M-16 rifle and nowadays people want to add 3-5 pounds of "stuff" to their CAR which just doesn't make any sense to me.

Paul

I shot a buddies A2 carbine the other day. I couldn't believe how light it was. Nothing but A2 furniture, even with the fixed stock it was light.

henschman
01-25-16, 10:19
I shot a buddies A2 carbine the other day. I couldn't believe how light it was. Nothing but A2 furniture, even with the fixed stock it was light.

Just wait until you shoot an A1.

henschman
02-09-16, 02:33
Can is here
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/37461FF5-FFE3-47C7-9385-B3A81ABA36D9_zpsz2if7cwr.jpg

Lee Indy
02-09-16, 06:40
Very Nice.

Rayrevolver
02-09-16, 09:17
Good news! I am very interested to see where your AGB settings end up suppressed vs unsuppressed.

I owe you some precision testing but haven't had the time to hit the range. I do plan to shoot in the yard (~35yards) and try an A5H4 buffer+LMT E-carrier.

If I had more time I could mess with a blue/white sprinco and H/H2/H3 buffer for y'all.

Rayrevolver
02-20-16, 13:33
I shot some Wolf to check function with the A5H4, which held open the bolt at setting 5.

Then I installed the 1-10x scope and shot a 10 round group and then a 3 round group with CBC 77gr. I'll be honest, I feel like I run out of talent past about.. 10 yards. I had the vertical grip resting on a sandbag and that was it. All that said, I didn't feel like my drifting contributed that much to the 10 round group.

Next time out at the range I will try again, although 2.7 MOA is not terrible. I did not have time to try any of the PPU 69/77, but I bet they are worse. I forgot the BH 55gr, that stuff in my Noveske 12.5 is the most accurate combo I have ever shot.

10 rd group was 2.7 MOA.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/Faxon%20CBC77%2010_zpsopjxhbgk.jpg

3 rd group was 0.91 MOA.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/Faxon%20CBC77%203_zps01qa5fz8.jpg

henschman
02-25-16, 09:33
I got it to the range with the suppressor last weekend. I got bolt lock-back on setting 4 on the SLR (it uses setting 7 unsuppressed). The suppressor seemed to tighten up the groups a little too.