PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the DG Switch more popular?

Wake27
12-19-15, 15:38
It seems that the vast majority of people here use a WML on at least one of their handguns, but its pretty rare to see a DG Switch. Why is this? Many people prefer to activate their long gun lights with minimal hand movement, so why not on a handgun where grip is even more important? It took me a little while to actually get one, but it always seemed to be a great idea. I was a little concerned about light NDs but I bought one for my Glock right before a two day course with Mike Pannone and didn't even notice a difference in my grip. I think I may have had one ND initially, but none after the first few minutes with it. On my M&P, I'm not as sure. It feels like I maybe have to be more careful with the grip but I can't compare the two side by side and I haven't really tested it like I did with my Glock. I plan on buying one for my CRG soon to try out. I am curious to hear the experience of everyone else here. If you've tried and liked it, did it work for you with multiple platforms or were there issues with some? If you didn't like it, why not? And if you haven't tried it, is there a reason?

Nightstalker865
12-19-15, 16:08
My thumb is right next to the tail switch on my X300U when mounted to any of my handguns. So it's very easy to activate without adjusting my grip. I much prefer to use the tail cap on a light if at all possible. I've seen too many pressure switches fail over the years. Even the SR series from SF has its faults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
12-19-15, 17:09
I had the opportunity to use a grip mounted pressure switch on someone elses weapon. I was paying too much attention to manipulating my grip to switch the light on and off and not enough attention to a proper firing grip on the pistol.

The switch on the end cap is very close to my left thumb when I grip a pistol, so I activate the light with my thumb.

Joe R.
12-19-15, 18:29
I have used a DG switch for my Surefire lights since they came out. In my opinion a light mounted on a handgun needs a DG switch. I have searched more buildings than I can count and you are constantly manipulating doors or moving items, the DG switch allows you to use the light when you want to vs just turning it on and leaving it on.

While not everyone will be searching building, think about the fact that you may be guiding/moving people out of the way to safety or to make a shot. With out the DG switch you will be in the dark so to speak. I don't see a downside to them. It does take some time to get used to them. Training and practice are your friend...

Wake27
12-19-15, 18:57
I have used a DG switch for my Surefire lights since they came out. In my opinion a light mounted on a handgun needs a DG switch. I have searched more buildings than I can count and you are constantly manipulating doors or moving items, the DG switch allows you to use the light when you want to vs just turning it on and leaving it on.

While not everyone will be searching building, think about the fact that you may be guiding/moving people out of the way to safety or to make a shot. With out the DG switch you will be in the dark so to speak. I don't see a downside to them. It does take some time to get used to them. Training and practice are your friend...

That's another aspect I forgot to bring up in the OP. Not only does it make one handed operation possible, but it makes it easier for my wife to use. I don't get the chance to train her as much as I like, so she's more likely to be able to throw some light with the DG vs trying to find the lever if it came down to it.

Spiffums
12-19-15, 22:04

On the other side of the argument, doesn't that take away from the "don't use a gun as a flashlight" train of thought?

Vandal
12-19-15, 22:35
I've read up on the Heim/Enoka studies enough to not be a DG switch fan. I was also trained not to use my weapon light as a flashlight when searching a building, granted that is from a LE training perspective, not military, the rules are different.

Most people can use a weapon light one-handed, even people with small hands. I've seen it done in a building search when the guns came out and hand-held lights got dumped into sap pocket.

Joe R.
12-20-15, 13:10
On the other side of the argument, doesn't that take away from the "don't use a gun as a flashlight" train of thought?

If I'm doing a search for bad guys the flashlight is in fact a shooting aid, IE: Locate, Identify and Engage as necessary. I'm not using it to check licenses or look for lost kids or car keys...

Joe R.
12-20-15, 13:14
I've read up on the Heim/Enoka studies enough to not be a DG switch fan. I was also trained not to use my weapon light as a flashlight when searching a building, granted that is from a LE training perspective, not military, the rules are different.

Most people can use a weapon light one-handed, even people with small hands. I've seen it done in a building search when the guns came out and hand-held lights got dumped into sap pocket.

Again, searching a building for BGs and looking for something are two different things. Using the WML for a search is kosher. Using it as a flashlight is uncool. As to the DG "studies" I would argue that it's all about training and practice.

And to using the WML with one hand it requires that you turn the light to a constant on mode....not at all ideal in a tactical situation.

Wake27
12-20-15, 14:21

That's more on the argument of a WML vs the actual DG Switch.

Mysteryman
12-20-15, 15:43

If you feel the need to have your gun out, then using the WML to search is perfectly acceptable. Trigger finger and brain are what makes the gun go off, not the direction it's pointed or the light attached.

MM

jdavis6576
12-20-15, 15:56
Used one on a Glock 17 I had, wish they were available for the VP9 as I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I used it in a TMACS low light class and the ease of use over standard switching is night and day.

titsonritz
12-20-15, 15:57
I've been wanting to get one but just have gotten around to it.

ZGXtreme
12-20-15, 17:47
I intend to pick some up. I used the SL style for several years and wish it was still available.

Defaultmp3
12-20-15, 19:31
Used one on a Glock 17 I had, wish they were available for the VP9 as I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I used it in a TMACS low light class and the ease of use over standard switching is night and day.Try a DG-20:
http://i.imgbox.com/y5zDTysl.jpg (http://imgbox.com/y5zDTysl)
Or a DG-13:
http://i.imgbox.com/2fZTqs2B.jpg (http://imgbox.com/2fZTqs2B)
http://i.imgbox.com/GyWHysCG.jpg (http://imgbox.com/GyWHysCG)

saints75
12-26-15, 22:17
I have used them. I don't care for them. Everytime I draw my Glock tje light would come on even when I did not want it to. I felt there is a learning curb with the DG Switch. It feels a little uncomfortable in my hand. Plus it would not fit in my ALS holster. It is a tight fit. I do really well with out it. I feel the DG Switch is not necessary for the way I run my Glocks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Joe R.
12-26-15, 22:24
There is a learning curve with any new skill or piece of gear. Yes it takes some practice to get used to the DG switch and be able to draw without a white light AD, however in my mind the ability to function the light one handed is worth the effort.

The 6000 series ALS holsters can be fitted to work with the DG switch....there's one on my hip right now.

Wake27
12-26-15, 22:45
Holster compatibility is kind of difficult. I'm hoping RCS releases a VG3 that works with it.

Benito
12-27-15, 00:19
I tried a DG, but seemed to be unable to grip the gun without activating the light.
It was well-built, but did not work for me.

bjxds
12-27-15, 12:16
I do have one and like it, but with the Surefire push activation feature I really don't think an additional switch is necessary. That is the big advantage Surefire has over the other brands of WML. 2 handed operation of light while shooting is just as easy with or without the DG. One handed operation, advantage DG. My grip while shooting is not adversely effected by the switch, however the light is activated by my grip, not that it matters. I have never used one in a holster.

SoTex1
01-16-16, 23:23
I run one (streamlight version) on my m&p daily. It takes getting used to but for me the juice is worth way more than the squeeze for reasons already mentioned in this thread. All of my safariland's were easily modified to accept it, and off duty it rides in an Armordillo Xfer without modification or issue and has for quite a while.

In reference to the Heim and Enoka studies, I don't know that the DG switch vs no DG switch would have bearing on that. Fingers would up on triggers regardless of training or index position.

samuse
01-27-16, 20:34
I like the DG but I don't use one because of holster issues and I never got real proficient/comfortable with 'em.

Pesty0311
02-07-16, 15:18
Use it on my work gun, but not my ccw. I cannot carry that U-boat appendix.