PDA

View Full Version : aluminium oxynitride (ALON)

TomMcC
12-19-15, 20:46
Has anyone heard of this substance in relation to body armor? My son was telling me about it and it sounds like some really zoot material.

nova3930
12-19-15, 20:52
A mil engineering site I read had an article on this a while back. It's main claim to fame is that it's transparent. Apparently you can make bullet resistant windows that are half the thickness and weight of traditional glass laminate construction with it.

TomMcC
12-19-15, 20:57
Is the stuff lightweight also? I wonder what a 10" x 12" x 1/2" multi-curve plate weighs and how much it would cost?

Supposedly, a 1.6" thick pane of this stuff will stop a 50 BMG. round.

nova3930
12-20-15, 09:42
No idea what the density is.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

WatchTheWorldBern
12-20-15, 11:36
It's a bit less than half the density of steel (on average). Haven't seen anyone talk about it as body armor. No idea why, I'm not an engineer.

Shao
12-20-15, 12:59
It's Star Trek technology. Transparent aluminum. Apparently they bombard aluminum with some kind of radiation over a long period of time and it makes it super hard and transparent.

I thought we would have holo-decks first...

nova3930
12-20-15, 13:14
It's a bit less than half the density of steel (on average). Haven't seen anyone talk about it as body armor. No idea why, I'm not an engineer.

I'd expect to see it in ballistic face shields, goggles and things like that at some point but I'm not sure it has any advantages for rifle plates and such

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
12-23-15, 03:41
It's Star Trek technology. Transparent aluminum. Apparently they bombard aluminum with some kind of radiation over a long period of time and it makes it super hard and transparent.

I thought we would have holo-decks first...

That's what Scotty fabricated the whale tanks out of!