PDA

View Full Version : Help a Noob Mount a Scope

Duke14
12-19-15, 22:30
Hey guys first post and brand new to the Ar scene. I have a optics ready flat top and am going to order the primary arms 1-6 scope. Im also going to be ordering a magpul str stock. What my question is...is what height ring will give me the proper check weld with that set up? Id like to order all of this in one easy shot so i can get shooting. Id also like to note that i am wanting to set this up with scope rings and not a one piece mount or anything that quick disconnects...not interested. Im probably going to go with either primary arms rings or burris xtr. Just need the height if anyone can help.

Thanks alot and i look forward to learning alot here on the forum.

SteveL
12-19-15, 22:39
Why are you opposed to a one piece mount? It doesn't have to be QD. Depending on the eye relief of the scope, how far in/out you run your stock, and how far forward you position your head when you shoot, a cantilevered one piece mount can be the best solution to get your scope positioned properly while still mounting only on the upper receiver and not the handguard.

Duke14
12-19-15, 22:42
Not 100% opposed but im just doing my best to keep it light and simple. Im just assuming for my intended purpose rings would be the best solution but i may very well be wrong.

SteveL
12-19-15, 22:48
QD mounts can add a bit of weight due to the QD mechanism, but there are good, lightweight one piece mounts out there. They may not be quite as light as separate rings but IMO strike a good balance, all things considered.

Clint
12-20-15, 09:40
In most cases, standard rings are a poor choice on a AR.

There is generally not enough real estate to mount the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief and charging handle clearance.

A one piece cantilever mount like the PEPR solves all of this.

Proper optical center height is 1.5" above the rail.

ETA: I like to have the back edge of the scope far enough forward to allow a 2 finger grip on the charging handle. This lines up with the front edge of the charging handle cutout in the upper receiver.

Digital_Damage
12-20-15, 10:03
Clint,"Proper center of height" ? No such thing. Height over bore, Is dependent on the shooter.

OP, What is your length of pull?

Rayrevolver
12-20-15, 10:08
I think he means the "standard" is 1.5" above the rail. A light and affordable option is one of the Ultralights. I have the SPR for maximum eye relief.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html

Digital_Damage
12-20-15, 10:15
I think he means the "standard" is 1.5" above the rail. A light and affordable option is one of the Ultralights. I have the SPR for maximum eye relief.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html

Wonder how well their mounts stack up, if anything like their lowers they should be great.

.46caliber
12-20-15, 10:24
Wonder how well their mounts stack up, if anything like their lowers they should be great.

No first hand, but every account I've seen on this forum has been positive.