PDA

View Full Version : Computer Woes - Hooking up a Second Monitor

26 Inf
12-20-15, 11:57
I know this isn't 'ComputerForum.net' but you guys are such an eclectic bunch that I am sure someone can school me.

I'm on a Lenovo CPU running Windows 8. The CPU has one graphics card. I want to hook up another monitor, Best Buy had a j5create USB3.0 HDMI/DVI Display Adaptor (model JUA350) which functions as an external graphics card.

I installed the newest driver from their website, followed the instructions as to turning off the computer, attaching the monitor, powering up the monitor, then powering up the computer. When I right click on the desktop and go to screen resolution, it shows monitor 1 and 2. It identified the monitor I had already attached as display 2 and shows the second monitor as display 1 represented as a black box. When I click on that box it identifies the monitor, but won't allow me to make any changes.

To make sure I shut the system down, switched monitors, followed all the steps and restarted, now the new monitor (which is hooked to the CPU) is identified as my desktop and will allow changes. My original monitor is identified properly as display two, represented by the same black box. I cant make any changes to it.

The second monitor remains black, I can't drag documents, pictures, etc. over to it.

Long story short, is this because the computer has USB 2 ports and the adapter is for USB 3.0 - I thought the 3 worked in 2 ports.

BTW tried j5create tech support and chat room, not available on weekends.

I'm willing to install a graphics card, I have a slot, but the stores in town that were open yesterday didn't have one, I went to Best Buy to pick one up and saw this, it was cheaper and easier, so I thought WTF. Best Buy is an hour drive, so I'd like to try and get what I have to work if possible.

Thanks in advance.

sadmin
12-20-15, 13:07
Not familiar with the j5create but the USB version would not be causing this.

Why not just get the HDMI to dvi splitter? Are you wanting to do more than extend your primary desktop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyyr
12-20-15, 13:19
You shouldn't need an external video card to run an additional monitor; unless your current desktop is extremely anemic, you should be able to run two monitors from your existing card. If you have different types of outputs (e.g. HDMI and DVI, DVI and VGA, etc.), all you need to do is get an adapter to convert your unused output to the monitor's input. That is to say, if your new monitor uses DVI and your card has an unused HDMI port, just get an HDMI to DVI adapter.

It should be a simple matter of plug and play.

Now, if you have a bargain-type computer (like a $250 big-box deal), then your video card may be limited to running just one monitor. However, you should be able to look up the model of your computer on the manufacturer's site and seeing how many monitors it can run.

26 Inf
12-20-15, 13:48
Not familiar with the j5create but the USB version would not be causing this.

Are you wanting to do more than extend your primary desktop?

Thanks - I don't know what you mean 'extend my primary desktop' - my work computer allows me to open a document, then slide it to the other monitor when I open another document, I can work on both documents by mouse clicking on the one I want to work on. That is all I would use the home computer for.

Unfortunately, the work IT guys are not at my beck and call on weekends, and we are closed until after New Years day.

Thanks for your help.

26 Inf
12-20-15, 16:43
I'm up with two - mods please delete.

Thanks