PDA

View Full Version : PWS Enhanced buffer tube. Any thoughts?

Nightstalker865
12-21-15, 15:27
Ran across this today in my YouTube feed. Anyone have experience with it or any thoughts in general? The ratchet lock system on the castle nut looks like it could be a very nice upgrade to the standard staked setup if someone was doing a build from scratch.

http://youtu.be/DI5VpUTBw-I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b2dap1
12-21-15, 16:21
I have one of their rifles and its nice. It has their first redo of the buffer tube that eliminated the castle nut all together. They make solid stuff but its probably something I would save for a flashy rifle build, not a serious go-to mil spec rifle. I didn't know they had come out with that...Im gonna have to check their website to see what else is up.

titsonritz
12-21-15, 16:34
They need an A5 version.

ColtSeavers
12-21-15, 16:38
That looks pretty interesting. Not for sale seperately until early 2016, so I don't think there's going to be a whole lot to report on it for awhile though.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/product/pws-ebt-mod-2/

Brahmzy
12-21-15, 17:59
Pretty cool, and yes, need an A5 tube. I'm constantly jack arising around with safeties and tubes n stuff - this would be nice not having to stake and 'burn a plate' every time I decide to experiment.

ajacobs
12-21-15, 18:39
Should have went with type 3 anodizing.

SteveL
12-21-15, 18:50
I wonder if they will offer the hardware separately. Unless I'm missing something the ratcheting castle nut and end plate should work with any pre-existing receiver extension tube shouldn't it?

jackblack73
12-21-15, 18:57
Should have went with type 3 anodizing.

According to the website, they did.

556Cliff
12-21-15, 19:04
I wonder if they will offer the hardware separately. Unless I'm missing something the ratcheting castle nut and end plate should work with any pre-existing receiver extension tube shouldn't it?

This is relevant to my interests. I know how to stake an end plate but this is like the Dead On Arms trigger guard in terms of making life easier.

Honorthecall81
12-21-15, 21:43
I have these buffer tubes on both my rifles and I love them. They
are rock solid and I love not having to worry about a castle nut.

snakyjake
12-21-15, 23:34
If they wanted to sell this to me, they would have to demonstrate the problem they are trying to solve, or tell me what it does the other ones don't do. What they described in the video doesn't mean anything to me.

K1tt3n5
12-21-15, 23:46
Pretty cool.

Joe Mamma
12-22-15, 01:14
I've used their current buffer tubes which have the integral QD attachment points. I love them. They are very easy to install, index perfectly, and they are pretty much one piece (very solid). I haven't handled the Mod 2 version shown in the video, but I will probably try it.

Primary Weapons Systems makes very high quality stuff. My only complaint is that sometimes their products are overkill--like driving a Ferrari when a Kia would be fine.

Joe Mamma

cbx
12-22-15, 07:22
They did say what it does. They just didn't show it. Doesn't require a stake.

Which seems like a natural progression since how many rifles have set screws in the lower and set screw gas blocks now. Even some of the top manufactures are going that way. Less time for assembly.

If it necessary, well no. Nothing is. I think it's a cool idea. A5 option would have been nice too

ajacobs
12-22-15, 08:34
According to the website, they did.

The video says type 2

grnamin
03-02-16, 13:25

Looks like the ratcheting castle nut will be available separately:
http://primaryweapons.com/store/product/ebt-mod-2-end-plate-castle-nut/

SteveL
03-02-16, 13:37

Thanks. I might try one out when they're back in stock.

mebiuspower
03-03-16, 06:43

Good find. This will match A5 tube nicely.

titsonritz
03-03-16, 11:56
Doesn't look to be limited rotation. :(

lahunter57
03-03-16, 13:39
Doesn't look to be limited rotation. :(

It doesn't need to be, the buffer tube keeps the QD from rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torquetard
03-03-16, 16:36
Yes they are awesome. I dont know about the new ratchet-lock but the original is badass

grnamin
03-04-16, 17:48
Good find. This will match A5 tube nicely.
It's confirmed...
https://naminfamily.smugmug.com/photos/i-RwJwLDj/0/XL/i-RwJwLDj-XL.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

grnamin
03-14-16, 17:55
Fortress Tactical has them in stock now.

polydeuces
03-15-16, 21:59
Had 2, replaced both with A5's, never looked back.

Serious Account
03-15-16, 23:22
would be awesome if you don't need to have to stake the nut... But that video is too confusing. Don't you also need to buy their buffer tube in order to get the full benefit of this system, so it can lock up with the Buffer Retaining Pin?

themonk
03-16-16, 06:07
would be awesome if you don't need to have to stake the nut... But that video is too confusing. Don't you also need to buy their buffer tube in order to get the full benefit of this system, so it can lock up with the Buffer Retaining Pin?

The retaining pin is part of the end plate. You can use the ratcheting castle nut and end plate with any buffer tube.

Press Check
03-17-16, 14:17
Received mine in the mail this morning, and immediately noticed these anomalies throughout the exterior of the receiver extension.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q00vep.jpg

Contacted the vendor (great guy to deal with), and he contacted PWS. According to PWS, the small pits and gouges (exterior defects) are "lube bursts," which is a result of the higher volume, less expensive, impact extrusion process, and the reason the Mod 2 is $45 less than the earlier version. In short, all of the Mod 2 buffer tubes will have these anomalies, according to PWS.

Ty at PWS went on to say that the earlier version was machined from 6061, and the current version is impact extruded from 7075, resulting in a lighter, stronger, and more rigid receiver extension.

What do you guys think?

grnamin
03-17-16, 18:23
Got the same blemishes in the exact same spot on the two I ordered. I'm ok with them so long as they are just blems.

Brahmzy
03-17-16, 18:33
I'll stick with my VLTOR tubes, thanks. Lighter and blemish free. :)

Press Check
03-17-16, 20:02
I'll stick with my VLTOR tubes, thanks. Lighter and blemish free. :)

Lighter? Um, no.

Brahmzy
03-17-16, 20:49
Lighter? Um, no.

Um, yeah. VLTOR RE-1 tube + V7 End Plate + V7 Castle Nut = 4.2oz
PWS shiz = 4.5oz. At least according to the Fortress Tactical website "4.5oz in weight with castle nut & endplate".

What do I win?

Press Check
03-17-16, 22:11
Assuming you use the PWS castle nut and end plate...

I posted those for sale the moment I received the package.

By itself, the receiver extension weighs 3.1oz. Add the V7 parts, it's 3.53oz.

MWT
03-22-16, 14:57
Anyone ever notice/heard of a PWS Enhanced buffer tube (Mod1) being out of spec?
One has a Magpul ACS stock and all is well. The second (recently purchased) I mounted my Magpul STR today, and it's pretty tight, as in zero stock wobble without the clamp on the STR locked down...which I btw cannot fully lock down unless the stock if fully collapsed.

falconman515
07-18-16, 21:18
Thinking about picking one of these up for my new lightweight build.

Anymore update on this buffer tube?

I kinda like the idea of not having to stake the castle (which I don't do anyway really ... but this makes it more secure)

I like that it comes with a QD end plate so I don't have to buy that extra and the looks are nice as well ... and of course the ratcheting system is really neat.

I think If I was spending $70 on a Spikes receiver extension kit for $70 this would be worth the extra $34 getting a easy ratcheting system for install along with a nicer fluted kinda style look and the added QD (which I normally pay like an extra 20 bucks for).

Just wanted to see what new anyone knows about this and if anyone is currently using it.

Just looking for some more feedback before I order one.