PDA

View Full Version : Secret surveillance catalog

Irish
12-21-15, 18:12
Some interesting stuff. (https://theintercept.com/surveillance-catalogue/) Click on each item for additional info.

Intercept reports:

“Within the catalogue, the NSA is listed as the vendor of one device, while another was developed for use by the CIA, and another was developed for a special forces requirement. Nearly a third of the entries focus on equipment that seems to have never been described in public before.”

Anti Media has reported extensively on the Stingray, the brand name of a popular cell-site simulator manufactured by the Harris Corporation. The Electronic Frontier Foundation describes Stingrays as “a brand name of an IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) Catcher targeted and sold to law enforcement. A Stingray works by masquerading as a cell phone tower – to which your mobile phone sends signals to every 7 to 15 seconds whether you are on a call or not – and tricks your phone into connecting to it...

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the FBI, NSA, and U.S. military declined to leave a comment with the Intercept regarding the catalog. Marc Raimondi, a Justice Department spokesperson, told the Intercept that the Department “uses technology in a manner that is consistent with the requirements and protections of the Constitution, including the Fourth Amendment, and applicable statutory authorities.”

The Intercept notes that Raimondi worked for Harris Corp. for six years prior to working for the DOJ.

Additional notes above from ZH article on same subject. (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-21/whistleblower-exposes-exactly-how-government-spies-your-cell-phone)

Moose-Knuckle
12-22-15, 00:22
Good stuff, thanks for the link.

CIA Chief: We’ll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher
http://www.wired.com/2012/03/petraeus-tv-remote/

Had a great-uncle who was a staff writer for the Washington Post back during the 60's, my grandparents and everyone thought he was crazy due to the steps he took to defeat various surveillance techniques. Turns out stuff he told them back then is true today now they all question how he knew about various clandestine surveillance methods fifty years ago.

Benito
12-23-15, 14:32
I guess it's not surprising in theory, but it is still kind of crazy to see the lengths to which they will go to spy on everyone when the obvious threats are being fast-tracked into the country and lauded as exceptional contributors to humanity.

Irish
12-23-15, 18:31
I guess it's not surprising in theory, but it is still kind of crazy to see the lengths to which they will go to spy on everyone when the obvious threats are being fast-tracked into the country and lauded as exceptional contributors to humanity.

You are the enemy. Islam is the religion of peace.

Orwell nailed it on so many levels.

Moose-Knuckle
12-24-15, 03:04
You are the enemy.

Orwell nailed it on so many levels.

I was about to say ^^^^ . . .

elephant
12-25-15, 11:06
Looks like the NSA's Christmas wish list!

Voodoo_Man
12-25-15, 13:03
I've seen and had a chance to play with some of this stuff.

There is many more gadgets out there than this and they are very scary in nature...if the general public only knew...

Outlander Systems
12-25-15, 13:23

There is many more gadgets out there than this and they are very scary in nature...if the general public only knew...

^Truth x1,000,000

_Stormin_
12-25-15, 14:02
It's that concept now that ANYTHING you put on any electronic device is no longer private. Nothing...

You need to keep a secret, and can't keep it to yourself? Pen, paper, and one time pads.

rauchman
01-04-16, 17:40

How come the public doesn't know?

SeriousStudent
01-04-16, 19:37
A quick note: Ye shall not publish classified information on M4Carbine.net.

We do have a lot of military folks that look at this website, which is great. The ownership of this forum is about an pro-military as you can get.

Some of our members and visitors have active security clearances. If they accidentally view something that is classified on here, it can cause them issues at work.

So let us not have simple curiosity cause problems for the folks that are busy hunting bad guys here and aboard. I know that nobody here would deliberately cause pain for our service members, but let's not do it by accident, either.

Thanks very much.