PDA

View Full Version : Question for Federal LEO's - Bioterrorism ETA: Chipotle Subpoena'd by Feds

30 cal slut
12-21-15, 18:24
ETA: See post #4: Chipotle just got subpoena'd by the feds. Sounds like intentional tampering with food.

There have some interesting developments at Chipotle restaurants as of late.

The chain is having more problems with E. coli infections in customers who ate there. CDC just disclosed another case today.

What is interesting is that the cases are not abating even with Chipotle's (and its supply chains) best efforts to clean up their act.

Those of us who are tracking the situation figured it was the produce that was making people sick.

Chipotle uses multiple suppliers. The same suppliers don't provide stuff to restaurants in every region.

There is a common thread in all this. The same strain is making everyone sick.

Which kinda makes me wonder - maybe this is deliberate? Could be a disgruntled employee. Could be a terrorist. Could be a coordinated fraud on the part of the sickees.

When would federal law enforcement get involved? Who would investigating it? FBI?

How would we know if a criminal investigation is opened?

Thanks.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-probing-another-chipotle-linked-e-coli-outbreak-1450730153

7.62NATO
12-21-15, 18:30
There have some interesting developments at Chipotle restaurants as of late.

The chain is having more problems with E. coli infections in customers who ate there. CDC just disclosed another case today.

What is interesting is that the cases are not abating even with Chipotle's (and its supply chains) best efforts to clean up their act.

Those of us who are tracking the situation figured it was the produce that was making people sick.

Chipotle uses multiple suppliers. The same suppliers don't provide stuff to restaurants in every region.

There is a common thread in all this. The same strain is making everyone sick.

Which kinda makes me wonder - maybe this is deliberate? Could be a disgruntled employee. Could be a terrorist. Could be a coordinated fraud on the part of the sickees.

When would federal law enforcement get involved? Who would investigating it? FBI?

How would we know if a criminal investigation is opened?

Thanks.

The Hispanics that work at Chipotle are known to disproportionately host parasites. WTBS, CDC/DHS are already looking at it to determine the source.

30 cal slut
12-21-15, 18:35
The Hispanics that work at Chipotle are known to disproportionately host parasites. WTBS, CDC/DHS are already looking at it to determine the source.

Thanks. If you have a source to cite, that would be helpful.

30 cal slut
01-06-16, 08:11
Just out.

$hitpotle just subpoena'd by the feds. Criminal investigation may be afoot.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1058090/000105809016000049/cmg-20160106x8k.htm

Receipt of Grand Jury Subpoena
In December 2015, Chipotle was served with a Federal Grand Jury Subpoena from the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in connection with an official criminal investigation being conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California, in conjunction with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Office of Criminal Investigations. The subpoena requires us to produce a broad range of documents related to a Chipotle restaurant in Simi Valley, California, that experienced an isolated norovirus incident during August 2015. We intend to fully cooperate in the investigation. It is not possible at this time to determine whether we will incur, or to reasonably estimate the amount of, any fines, penalties or further liabilities in connection with the investigation pursuant to which the subpoena was issued.

7.62NATO
01-06-16, 08:19
Criminal investigation is taking place.

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 08:26
Willy's > Chipotle

But that is some freakyness. Especially considering my love for their Burritos.

30 cal slut
01-06-16, 08:27
Recap of what's fishy ...

Chipotle has different suppliers regionally.

But it's had the same strain(s) of e coli at different restaurants across the country at the same time.

As of this post, over 500 people have been sickened by e. coli and norovirus after eating at $hitpotle.

This is unheard of. Statistically kinda mind-boggling.

cbx
01-06-16, 08:32
I work in the Food industry. This kind of stuff can break these guys.

I really like their model. Some of their polices are bs, but it obviously works.

I hope they don't get killed off in this crap. They're a big buyer of my product. We don't need anymore bad things happening right now. Life's already screwed as it is in my industry.

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 08:41
Definitely lottery-odds, from my observation.

Recap of what's fishy ...

Chipotle has different suppliers regionally.

But it's had the same strain(s) of e coli at different restaurants across the country at the same time.

As of this post, over 500 people have been sickened by e. coli and norovirus after eating at $hitpotle.

This is unheard of. Statistically kinda mind-boggling.

30 cal slut
01-06-16, 08:42
IF the outbreak was intentionally caused, and I mean IF ... (just thinking out loud here)...

What would be the motive?

Can you think of any?

1. Disgruntled employee(s)? Interesting article here: http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/ice-broadening-investigation-against-chipotle

2. The (elaborate) work of stock price manipulators? CMG shares are down 40% since news of the e. coli outbreaks started.

3. Terrorism?

4. Criminally negligent handwashing?

5. ?

7.62NATO
01-06-16, 08:52
IF the outbreak was intentionally caused, and I mean IF ... (just thinking out loud here)...

Can you think of any?

1. Disgruntled employee(s)? Interesting article here: http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/ice-broadening-investigation-against-chipotle

2. The (elaborate) work of stock price manipulators? CMG shares are down 40% since news of the e. coli outbreaks started.

3. Terrorism?

5. ?

Illegal aliens, most likely. They're known to carry disease and parasites. I hope Chipotle goes out of business. They violated the law, and they deserve to go down. The fact they're anti-freedom is icing on the cake.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-06-16, 09:05
Chipotle sucks. Their chicken is more grizzle than meat. I know that is heresy since they started in Denver, but I frankly like Taco Bell better and Qdoba is better food. Cafe Rio has awesome tortillas when I can't get Pappasitos- which I love mainly because I can't get it here in CO.

Averageman
01-06-16, 15:17
I think if I got violently ill eating their food I would make a point of having a friend drive me over at lunch and I would go ahead and return it to them.
After about two minutes of that I would be asking for some money so that I would leave.

TMS951
01-06-16, 16:34

Can you think of any?

If you approach this from the standpoint of who has the most to earn it would be competitors. So corporate espionage. But thats going pretty far, making people sick, but we in an F'ed up world so who knows. Look at the VW thing, that pretty wild.

Next would be some sort of eco terrorist, animal lover peta freak type shit, or anti capitalism, I believe Chipotle has a link to Mcdonalds. There must be something some one hates about Chipotle.

I know I'm not ever going back, I haven't been in a while and I have better local alternatives. Theres just no reason for me to.

SteyrAUG
01-06-16, 16:47

That would be my first guess. Some undocumented types who handle the food towards the end of the process.

TAZ
01-06-16, 20:29
The simplest answer is usually the correct one. Chipotle was warned, written up by health inspectors for various violations. They didnt follow up and fix the issue and people got sick. Now they go to court.

djegators
01-06-16, 20:45
That would be my first guess. Some undocumented types who handle the food towards the end of the process.

In a past life I was a career restaurant person. Handwashing issues and cross contamination are by far the most common ways to spread foodborne illness. BUT, for there to be this many issues in so many locations, that simply is not the case here. One restaurant that is sloppy can have an outbreak, but multiple locations in multiple states, even after the first case brought a ton of attention to them? No way. And I am sure the suppliers have already been very heavily scrutinized, but AFAIK, no reports of issues there, and no issues at other brands of restaurants also supplied by those vendors....very interesting case for sure.

SkiDevil
01-06-16, 21:57

That's funny because there are alot of theses restaurants in the general LA, California area which employ a variety of different folks. In my neighborhood, there are three Chipotle restaurants and most of the employees are college students and White or Caucasian.

With all of the fast food crap dished-out these days, I eat out less and less.

And from what the media is reporting this negative publicity is damaging their business. I passed by a restaurant last week on a Friday evening and there were only three people inside. I wouldn't eat there now for free.

Bulletdog
01-06-16, 22:51
In a past life I was a career restaurant person. Handwashing issues and cross contamination are by far the most common ways to spread foodborne illness. BUT, for there to be this many issues in so many locations, that simply is not the case here. One restaurant that is sloppy can have an outbreak, but multiple locations in multiple states, even after the first case brought a ton of attention to them? No way. And I am sure the suppliers have already been very heavily scrutinized, but AFAIK, no reports of issues there, and no issues at other brands of restaurants also supplied by those vendors....very interesting case for sure.

Right. And its the same strain of E. coli across the country. That ain't no hand washing issue.

Bulletdog
01-06-16, 22:58
Illegal aliens, most likely. They're known to carry disease and parasites. I hope Chipotle goes out of business. They violated the law, and they deserve to go down. The fact they're anti-freedom is icing on the cake.

You are barking up the wrong tree and clearly have no idea what you are talking about in this case. I've eaten at Chipotle Restaurants all over the country, and lots of them here in Southern CA, the illegal alien capitol of the whole country, and the majority of the employees are not hispanic. Of the Hispanic types that do work there, all of them speak English and are obviously Americans raised in America.

Now I don't know who is loading and unloading the trucks, but the people touching the food are not illegals, and they have always washed their hands, worn food prep gloves and observed sanitary practices for food safety whenever I've been there.

I don't like illegals any more than you do. I got a horse trailer and I'm only 3 hours from the border. I could personally drive more than 100 of them a day back home if they'd let me, but illegals handling the food is not the cause of the problem in this particular case.

Moose-Knuckle
01-07-16, 02:20
A class action in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .

7.62NATO
01-07-16, 07:15
You are barking up the wrong tree and clearly have no idea what you are talking about in this case. I've eaten at Chipotle Restaurants all over the country, and lots of them here in Southern CA, the illegal alien capitol of the whole country, and the majority of the employees are not hispanic. Of the Hispanic types that do work there, all of them speak English and are obviously Americans raised in America.

Now I don't know who is loading and unloading the trucks, but the people touching the food are not illegals, and they have always washed their hands, worn food prep gloves and observed sanitary practices for food safety whenever I've been there.

I don't like illegals any more than you do. I got a horse trailer and I'm only 3 hours from the border. I could personally drive more than 100 of them a day back home if they'd let me, but illegals handling the food is not the cause of the problem in this particular case.

Do you know how to read?

ICE broadening investigation against Chipotle

Federal immigration officials are broadening their investigation of Mexican fast-food chain Chipotle to include restaurants in Virginia and D.C.; Chipotle was already forced to fire hundreds of employees in Minnesota after an audit found that many of its employees had used forged documents; the investigation is part of the Obama administration’s efforts to clamp down on companies hiring undocumented workers;

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/ice-broadening-investigation-against-chipotle

Shane1
01-08-16, 22:34
http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/ice-broadening-investigation-against-chipotle[/URL][/QUOTE]

You do realize that article is from 2011?

Bulletdog
01-08-16, 22:57
Do you know how to read?

No. Never learned. Why do you ask?