PDA

View Full Version : EOTech ... XPS vs. EXPS ??? Curious on your thoughts on EOTech Absolute or lower 1/3

falconman515
12-21-15, 23:36
So the title asks what I am curious about ......

I know EOTech is getting a bad rap but absolutely nothing that will effect me and my usage and for me the EOTech is superior By Far over any other offering with it's reticle and large windowed field of view.

SO ... I have decided I will be getting a new EOTech (E)XPS2-0 optic.

But I am curious on your thought between the standard absolute co-witness XPS vs the lower 1/3 co-witness of the EXPS model.

Have you found the absolute or lower 1/3 to be superior to the other?

I am somewhat new to regular 1x red-dots and have not used anything in either configuration.

I am currently borrowing an EOTech 512 which compares to the XPS absolute and it seems fine but at times I think if it was up a touch more I wouldn't have to push my cheek into the stock so much to get a straight line with the reticle ... BUT on the other hand a good solid cheek weld is nice too and not sure if the raised lower 1/3 would keep me from obtaining a solid cheek weld.

Just some thoughts I have is all and curious what you think?

Another thing to that makes me like the EXPS is the side mounted controls instead of rear controls on the XPS cause more then likely I will be adding a 3X magnifier behind it ... so a mount close to the optic I know sometimes depending on the magnifier mount tent to cover the rear controls or the rear right button ... so the side mounted buttons would be much better. PLUS I really want QD .... I thought if I went with the XPS I would add GG&G's Accucam QD mounting system.

So I am up in the air on what to choose.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience and feedback is welcome (Other Then the pointless "Don't buy and EOTech cause they suck, buy an Aimpoint BS ... that means nothing and is unwelcome ... I know it would come so just trying to head it off before it does :) )

Thanks so much and I look forward to your reply :)

TF82
12-22-15, 01:45
The EXPS by a mile. The lower 1/3 is nice, especially if you have any fixed sights. The main reason to go EXPS though is the side mounted buttons. Whether you run a magnifier or not they are worlds better than the rear mounted buttons, especially when it's time to shut the damn thing off.

As an aside though, and I know you don't want to hear this, but I don't think you may want to revisit the issues with Eotech. The nitrogen leak/eventual reticle fade problem is why I sent my personally owned EXPS-2 back. While that sight was relatively new and did not experience it the one I'm issued at work is starting to fade in the lower right corner and reading the lawsuit and hearing about people who have sent their sights in multiple times for this same problem, it doesn't seem that Eotech has a handle on this at all.

Wake27
12-22-15, 02:32
EXPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmac
12-22-15, 03:59
EXPS. I do prefer lower 1/3, but also the QD mount and definitely because of the side buttons. The rear buttons of the XPS makes using a magnifier more cumbersome..

ggammell
12-22-15, 06:20
EXPS for all of the above reasons.

falconman515
12-23-15, 21:48
I think I may end up going with the EXPS if nothing else just for the side mounted controls.
I know I will run a magnifier behind it and that will be a plus ... I think it will be a plus either way really.

ggammell
12-23-15, 21:50
I think I may end up going with the EXPS if nothing else just for the side mounted controls.
I know I will run a magnifier behind it and that will be a plus ... I think it will be a plus either way really.

So much easier. So much.

Osborne
12-24-15, 10:18
I highly prefer and recommend EXPS if you have a fixed front site post, since the lower 1/3 co witness allows it to clear the post fully.

Hmac
12-24-15, 10:25
I highly prefer and recommend EXPS if you have a fixed front site post, since the lower 1/3 co witness allows it to clear the post fully.

I prefer lower-third for a few reasons but have found interference with an FSB to be a negligible problem.

Jmacken37
12-24-15, 13:19
I prefer the height of the XPS, but like the side mounted buttons on the EXPS.

SteveL
12-24-15, 13:28
EXPS for the built-in mount and side mounted buttons. However my EXPS 3-0 suffered from the fading reticle problem. They fixed it for free two months out of warranty, but I still decided to jump ship on them with all the drama going on. I sent mine in for refund (and hopefully that will work out).

falconman515
12-24-15, 15:11

I will be running only flip up sights ... is that still a fine option even with no fixed front sight post?

Wake27
12-24-15, 15:52
I will be running only flip up sights ... is that still a fine option even with no fixed front sight post?

Absolutely.

falconman515
12-28-15, 05:08
Seems most recommend the EXPS.

Having the side buttons and QD seems to be worth the extra $40

Just didn't know if I would want it to sit higher then I am normally used to.

But I do hate pushing my cheek into the stock and in turn having my earmuff hit the back of the stock as well trying to get a good weld along with lining up perfectly. Seems this may not be an issue with the raised site of the E model.

Wake27
12-28-15, 09:17
Just didn't know if I would want it to sit higher then I am normally used to.

It's a few mm, I doubt you'll notice in a bad way.

falconman515
01-07-16, 03:58
It's a few mm, I doubt you'll notice in a bad way.

Ya that's kinda what I was thinking ... and it will give me a QD mount and side mounted controls in case I go with a magnifier behind it.

Just wish I could find a good sale.

Been waiting for like Midway to have their buy $100 get 10 bucks of up to like by 300 or 400 and get 30 for 40 bucks off .... That would be nice.

Joelski
01-07-16, 06:00
If you're not opposed to second hand, Revolver has them come along for $450, m/l.

falconman515
01-07-16, 12:46
If you're not opposed to second hand, Revolver has them come along for $450, m/l.

Ya with some of the previous issues and even current I prefer new to have a complete 2 year warranty from the jump.

I wouldn't want something used and out of warranty and then have an issue.

jparish62
01-07-16, 13:03
Exps without question

Blindeye_03
01-08-16, 20:46
Ya with some of the previous issues and even current I prefer new to have a complete 2 year warranty from the jump.

I got my EoTech used and they still serviced it for me when the reticle started to dim due to the nitrogen leaking out of it..

I would get one with the side buttons but if you have flip up / down sights like you said then you would be fine with either one... me? Id get the non 7mm riser model in that case. I generally have always had a fixed front sight so I run the higher optic so I can get the dot/reticle up higher than the sight to see more.

T-Dot
01-12-16, 18:52
It looks like everyone here is overwhelmingly in favor of the EXPS, but for what it's worth, I prefer the XPS.

I started out with the EXPS2-0, and found that the lower 1/3 cowitness seemed extra low to me (i.e. my iron sights seemed to be hugging the bottom of the window, rather than truly hanging in the bottom third). This may be the way all lower 1/3 co-witness setups look: I hadn't experienced a lower 1/3 setup before or since, but that's just my subjective observation.

In addition, I was running it with a Vltor CASV rail, and the standard height irons setup was actually not visible at all through the window. I had to mount my backup iron sights on the CASV itself to even be visible.

I ended up trading the EXPS on this site for an XPS2-0, and was much happier with absolute co-witness. Having the buttons on the back vice the side didn't really make a difference to me, but I never magnified it, either. It would seem to me that it wouldn't be too terribly inconvenient to turn the optic on or off, but I haven't had any real world experience there.

Hope that's some help.

Trust
01-12-16, 19:08
I got my EoTech used and they still serviced it for me when the reticle started to dim due to the nitrogen leaking out of it..

I would get one with the side buttons but if you have flip up / down sights like you said then you would be fine with either one... me? Id get the non 7mm riser model in that case. I generally have always had a fixed front sight so I run the higher optic so I can get the dot/reticle up higher than the sight to see more.

The site doesn't dim because of Nitrogen leaking out. The majority of dimming sites comes in the form of Grating Delamination or a mis-aligned mirror. Sites made prior to 2014 All have the capability to delaminate. Some faster than others.

falconman515
01-12-16, 23:34
The site doesn't dim because of Nitrogen leaking out. The majority of dimming sites comes in the form of Grating Delamination or a mis-aligned mirror. Sites made prior to 2014 All have the capability to delaminate. Some faster than others.

So most newer optics 2014+ don't seem to have this issue anymore?

Blindeye_03
01-13-16, 04:44

Just repeating what Eotech told me when I sent my optic in for the reticle dimming on the edges of the glass. Unless you know something that they don't know.

mikemi1951
01-13-16, 06:09
So the title asks what I am curious about ......

I know EOTech is getting a bad rap but absolutely nothing that will effect me and my usage and for me the EOTech is superior By Far over any other offering with it's reticle and large windowed field of view.

SO ... I have decided I will be getting a new EOTech (E)XPS2-0 optic.

But I am curious on your thought between the standard absolute co-witness XPS vs the lower 1/3 co-witness of the EXPS model.

Have you found the absolute or lower 1/3 to be superior to the other?

I am somewhat new to regular 1x red-dots and have not used anything in either configuration.

I am currently borrowing an EOTech 512 which compares to the XPS absolute and it seems fine but at times I think if it was up a touch more I wouldn't have to push my cheek into the stock so much to get a straight line with the reticle ... BUT on the other hand a good solid cheek weld is nice too and not sure if the raised lower 1/3 would keep me from obtaining a solid cheek weld.

Just some thoughts I have is all and curious what you think?

Another thing to that makes me like the EXPS is the side mounted controls instead of rear controls on the XPS cause more then likely I will be adding a 3X magnifier behind it ... so a mount close to the optic I know sometimes depending on the magnifier mount tent to cover the rear controls or the rear right button ... so the side mounted buttons would be much better. PLUS I really want QD .... I thought if I went with the XPS I would add GG&G's Accucam QD mounting system.

So I am up in the air on what to choose.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience and feedback is welcome (Other Then the pointless "Don't buy and EOTech cause they suck, buy an Aimpoint BS ... that means nothing and is unwelcome ... I know it would come so just trying to head it off before it does :) )

Thanks so much and I look forward to your reply :)
I have the xps and the G33 magnifier. When not in use they are covered by a scope coat. I just flip the G33 aside to place the covers on each, flip it back and that's all. When in use they are touching.

From my Samsung Note 4

Trust
01-13-16, 17:02
So most newer optics 2014+ don't seem to have this issue anymore?

For now no. I'll take a photo of my SU231 (DOM 2007) and EXPS3-0 (DOM 2015). Hopefully I can get one clear enough. There's a component that's different. A component vital to the output of the reticle.

Ryno12
01-14-16, 10:16

Dvor has EOTechs on sale right now. The EXPS2 is $470. You have to be a member to purchase.

http://www.dvor.com/eotech-exps2-red-dot-holo-sight-with-side-buttons-qd-throw-lever.html?promotion=holographic-sights-52-2016-01-14

samuse
01-14-16, 14:29
Why would anyone buy an Eotech right now?? EOTECH said they were junk and in the process of taking ALL of 'em back and issuing refunds.

falconman515
01-15-16, 04:04
Why would anyone buy an Eotech right now?? EOTECH said they were junk and in the process of taking ALL of 'em back and issuing refunds.

Thanks for the insightful reply! SMH

:blink:

falconman515
01-15-16, 04:10
Dvor has EOTechs on sale right now. The EXPS2 is $470. You have to be a member to purchase.

http://www.dvor.com/eotech-exps2-red-dot-holo-sight-with-side-buttons-qd-throw-lever.html?promotion=holographic-sights-52-2016-01-14

Never heard of this company? Weird how it's a members only kinda website.

Any reviews on this company and are they are an authorized EOTech dealer do you know?

I do not want to buy from a weird website and risk a knockoff optic and also if they are legit then have issues with L3 if I ever need it warrantied etc. and they say you bought it from an unauthorized dealer.

Not worth the $70 savings to get screwed in the end somehow or get a fake.

EDIT ... Doesn't show DVOR as an authorized dealer but at the bottom of DVOR's webpage it says "A Division of Optics Planet" .... so is DVOR Optics Planet? If so they are on the list ........

http://www.eotechinc.com/where-to-buy-eotech-products-online

TF82
01-15-16, 05:11
Yeah they're Optics Planet, for all that means. I joined that site but haven't ordered from either DVOR or Optics Planet. From what I've read they won't sell you a fake sight but they will sell you a sight that was returned by someone else.

Ryno12
01-15-16, 05:44
Never heard of this company? Weird how it's a members only kinda website.

Any reviews on this company and are they are an authorized EOTech dealer do you know?

I do not want to buy from a weird website and risk a knockoff optic and also if they are legit then have issues with L3 if I ever need it warrantied etc. and they say you bought it from an unauthorized dealer.

Not worth the $70 savings to get screwed in the end somehow or get a fake.

EDIT ... Doesn't show DVOR as an authorized dealer but at the bottom of DVOR's webpage it says "A Division of Optics Planet" .... so is DVOR Optics Planet? If so they are on the list ........

http://www.eotechinc.com/where-to-buy-eotech-products-online

Yes, it's a division of Optics Planet. They're a legit company & one of my "go to" vendors. I've been a member there for a number of years & spent thousands of dollars with them, which included two EXPS RDSs. I've never had a bad experience with them.
They have daily sales that they'll email you about. You can set up the notifications based on your interest or opt out of them completely.

Two bits of advice, though, if you join.
~Pay close attention to the ship date. Sometimes the item will ship in a day or two, other times it may be over a week.
~Know what a good sale price is for any item of interest. Some of their sales are better than others.

Joelski
01-15-16, 06:21
DVOR is legit. As said above, you can occasionally find sweet deals, you just need to sometimes be willing to wait a bit for an item. Not usually a problem; you just don't want to get caught out waiting forever for a mission critical piece of gear.

falconman515
01-15-16, 11:52
From what I've read they won't sell you a fake sight but they will sell you a sight that was returned by someone else.

This is concerning though .... a $70 savings is Not At All worth getting a returned sight. I want New!

I do not buy returned or refurbished type stuff.

Is that what you get from here? is this there separate sight that sells like returns, etc. for a discounted price?

Ryno12
01-15-16, 12:02
This is concerning though .... a $70 savings is Not At All worth getting a returned sight. I want New!

I do not buy returned or refurbished type stuff.

Is that what you get from here? is this there separate sight that sells like returns, etc. for a discounted price?

I've never heard of that happening and question the validity of that statement.

Anyway, I just threw that link out there for you if you wanted one that's on sale. I've purchased two EXPSs & two G33 magnifiers from them already & wouldn't hesitate to buy any more from them in the future.

Take it or leave it. You've got a day and half to decide before the sale expires.

TF82
01-16-16, 01:16
Allow me to clarify, they aren't selling used or refurbished items and I seriously doubt it will be an issue at all with an EOTech anyway. What I read is that when the Trijicon MRO came out a bunch of people bought and then returned them because of the many things people seem to dislike about that sight. Several people on TOS reported receiving MROs from Optics Planet that had indicators like marring on the battery cap notch or, if I'm remembering correctly, the battery not being in plastic or something to that effect that indicated to them that they were receiving units which had been taken out of the box and turned on and likely returned. That's not to say that the sights themselves were defective in any way, as most of the people returning the MROs were returning them for not liking the sight itself, but people were definitely under the impression that they had received previously returned units. Sorry, I should have given the whole story on this and, as I mentioned in my previous post, not my personal experience.

falconman515
01-21-16, 19:36
I didn't jump on that deal ... I knew Shot Show was coming and I wanted to see if there was anything new.

I haven't really seen any RDS's introduced there so far.

samuse
01-21-16, 21:16
Thanks for the insightful reply! SMH

:blink:

Relevant no??

falconman515
01-21-16, 21:50
Relevant no??

Relevant? No ... Just a reply to an unhelpful comment was all :rolleyes:

Thanks once again