PDA

View Full Version : Berretta marketing fail or what?

m4brian
12-22-15, 09:22
NO MODEL has all or even most of the desired features - I've been handling the 92/9 series lately, and the M9A1 has the rail the NICE grip checkering, but DOESN'T have a dovetailed front sight - I guess the USMC didn't want it. SO, the 'civ version' has the replaceable sights, but NOT the checkering. And of course the 92A1 doesn't have the G decocker (much preferred by many), and the G does NOT have the dovetailed sights. But the A3, at a HIGH price point has the checkering, vertec grip, but again, has the dumb safety. What a MESS. Wassup Berretta? Got perfection syndrome?

HKGuns
12-22-15, 09:35
Sounds like your issue and not theirs. I don't make the lack of a safety a requirement, nor do I fret about checkering or replaceable front sights.

Can't please everyone all the time.

brickboy240
12-22-15, 09:38
Like SIG...I never understood all of Beretta's crazy model variations they offer.

Also...where the hell is their polymer striker pistol they showed photos of and promised by 4th quarter 2015?

The 92 series guns are also getting long in the tooth. For what they do, their competition is lighter, thinner and, in many cases, hold more rounds. Unlike the 1911, they do not have enough endearing features to keep them relevant. maybe it is time we just let them go....I dunno.

I love Beretta's shotguns but their pistol variations seem odd and the availability of certain models is crazy.

BBossman
12-22-15, 10:05
HA! Beretta never seems to manufacture whats popular, and nothing Beretta manufactures is popular until after they stop making it. I've always been a Beretta 92 fan and own five. Its odd that a pistol most folks all but gave up on, what a decade ago, is now back in favor enough that people complain Beretta doesn't make the exact model they want.

Fortunately most of the receivers, slides and barrels are interchangeable across the 92 series of pistols. Its possible to get what you want with careful shopping and trading. That combined with Wilson's custom services can get you what you want. You'll just have to put effort into it.

Nightstalker865
12-22-15, 10:07
The 92A1 offers the dovetail front sight your looking for. Also the 92G-SD offers both the dovetail nights and G series decocker your after.

There are models out there that offer what your looking for. Just may not be readily available at your LGS.

Also the M9A3-G will be shipping soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBossman
12-22-15, 10:12
The 92A1 offers the dovetail front sight your looking for. Also the 92G-SD offers both the dovetail nights and G series decocker your after.

There are models out there that offer what your looking for. Just may not be readily available at your LGS.

Also the M9A3-G will be shipping soon.

If I'm not mistaken, the safety on the A3 is convertible between F and G from the factory.

crusader377
12-22-15, 10:26
NO MODEL has all or even most of the desired features - I've been handling the 92/9 series lately, and the M9A1 has the rail the NICE grip checkering, but DOESN'T have a dovetailed front sight - I guess the USMC didn't want it. SO, the 'civ version' has the replaceable sights, but NOT the checkering. And of course the 92A1 doesn't have the G decocker (much preferred by many), and the G does NOT have the dovetailed sights. But the A3, at a HIGH price point has the checkering, vertec grip, but again, has the dumb safety. What a MESS. Wassup Berretta? Got perfection syndrome?

I don't think Beretta is unique to marketing fails and many companies in the industry make unusual choices. Prime example is S&W with the M&P series which could have been a "Glock Killer" if they invested more time on the trigger, addressing accuracy issues, and made a Glock 19 sized M&P.

Back to Beretta, I do agree with you that many of their marketing and product choices are odd but at least with the Beretta 92 series the quality control is extremely good and at least the customer is not beta testing their firearms unlike many other manufacturers.

Nightstalker865
12-22-15, 10:28
If I'm not mistaken, the safety on the A3 is convertible between F and G from the factory.

This is true, but Beretta has not released the parts for the conversion yet.

So as of now consumers have the option of buying the M9A3-FS or M9A3-G

Nightstalker865
12-22-15, 10:32
I don't think Beretta is unique to marketing fails and many companies in the industry make unusual choices. Prime example is S&W with the M&P series which could have been a "Glock Killer" if they invested more time on the trigger, addressing accuracy issues, and made a Glock 19 sized M&P.

The M&P series has had the accuracy and trigger issues resolved over the last couple years. The new barrel twist combined with tighter lock up seems to have resolved the accuracy problem. The gun has gone through several parts upgrades on the trigger system and the current offerings are excellent.

As for the G19 size issue, I agree with you. I think they would really make a dent in the Glock market by building it.

crusader377
12-22-15, 10:42
The M&P series has had the accuracy and trigger issues resolved over the last couple years. The new barrel twist combined with tighter lock up seems to have resolved the accuracy problem. The gun has gone through several parts upgrades on the trigger system and the current offerings are excellent.

I do agree with you and I own an M&P 9 myself and it is a good pistol. That said, there is no excuse for S&W releasing the M&P with those issues and I do think they somewhat squandered the potential of the gun.

brickboy240
12-22-15, 11:06
When you resort to calling your stainless guns silly names like "inox" well..what do you expect?

LOL

Sam
12-22-15, 11:21
When you resort to calling your stainless guns silly names like "inox" well..what do you expect?

LOL

Inox means stainless steel, apparently in French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

BBossman
12-22-15, 11:53

LOL

Silly Italians... using Italian language.

brickboy240
12-22-15, 13:21
Umm...the Germans did not call the stainless P-Series SIGs by the German word for stainless.

Beretta also called that one ugly version the Nine-Two instead of 92.

m4brian
12-22-15, 13:25
How hard is it to do the checkering to the 92A1 - a VERY desired feature today and have a "G" version as an option, then branch from there to mid-size and compact, and do inox versions. When I look over models in a store, I cannot help say, "wow that is really great, but only if..." I get that the Marines adpoted the 9A1 - no problem - and people want THAT version. They just seem to be doing 'random' and not systematic. And ain't it true - only the 'obsolete' versions are popular? I'm also NOT a believer that the 92 is passe. Maybe not a 1911, but the lockup system and now history sets it up for plenty of service with civilians.

I should add that a 'metal' gun that has a very smooth DA, and rock solid SA, excellent reliability, excellent accuracy, all OTB, is ALWAYS relevant - I just don't understand the modeling decisions.

The dream gun (and doable for under $650 street price): G, checkered, 18 rounds, Compact slide, dovetailed sights, Black, Inox, and two-tone.

Beretta doesn't need Wilson Combat to make a SWEET gun.

mkmckinley
12-22-15, 15:00
If I remember correctly from the Brig Tacs Beretta makes them to Wilson's specs. WC just markets and retails them. Beretta could make their own series, probably for much less than the BT, with whatever features are considered most popular. I think it's their own marketing and pricing that's holding them back.

Sam
12-22-15, 15:03
Beretta doesn't need Wilson Combat to make a SWEET gun.

Apparently they do need Wilson Combat to initiate, convince, beg, coax, cajole them to bring back a small part of the G family (92G, G-SD, Brigadier Tactical with the Wilson badge and now the Compact Carry).

lowprone
12-22-15, 15:30
Berettas marketing strategy is apparently just like the Republicrats, " The hell with what they want, they will take
what we give them and like it. "

m4brian
12-22-15, 15:46
Berettas marketing strategy is apparently just like the Republicrats, " The hell with what they want, they will take
what we give them and like it. "

Amen Brother - preach it!

What grip is MORE attractive to the GENERAL public? Vertec

Do most serious buyers today like checkering? Yes, they have for some time.

Do shooters generally consider being able to make the trigger dead during a drill or real life/death situation a good thing? No.

Do consumer/shooter want to be able to customize the sights? Yes.

Combine this into any of the models for general sales? No.

Nightstalker865
12-22-15, 17:38
Amen Brother - preach it!

What grip is MORE attractive to the GENERAL public? Vertec

Do most serious buyers today like checkering? Yes, they have for some time.

Do shooters generally consider being able to make the trigger dead during a drill or real life/death situation a good thing? No.

Do consumer/shooter want to be able to customize the sights? Yes.

Combine this into any of the models for general sales? No.

What your describing is the M9A3-G. Your wish will be granted very soon.

m4brian
12-22-15, 20:01
And it will cost well over 900 bills. I think the current A3 is already convertible. Really don't want/need a 1K pistol, that has features that have been the no brainer solution for years.

BBossman
12-23-15, 05:00
Umm...the Germans did not call the stainless P-Series SIGs by the German word for stainless.

Beretta also called that one ugly version the Nine-Two instead of 92.

Umm... you are correct, I think they call it Rainbow.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/P239-Rainbow-detail-hero_zpskkbjfikx.jpg