PDA

View Full Version : Is this damaged?

zibby43
12-22-15, 22:48
For those of you with either installed or uninstalled Glock OEM extended slide release mechanisms, does the following OEM extended slide release (for G19) look damaged in any way, shape, or form?

I have no point of reference. Bought this part new (obviously) and it arrived today.

Photo (ignore the scratches, those are on the bag):

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/zibby43/image1-9_zpsycsfkokv.jpg (http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/zibby43/media/image1-9_zpsycsfkokv.jpg.html)

Thanks in advance.

wigbones
12-22-15, 23:32
Looks good to me. What specifically is your concern?

zibby43
12-22-15, 23:35
Looks good to me. What specifically is your concern?

Good deal. Many thanks for the reply, wigbones.

I was specifically concerned about the orientation of the spring. As this is my first experience with the OEM Glock extended slide release, I wanted to make sure everything checked out visually before I opened/installed the part.

Thanks again.

wigbones
12-22-15, 23:40
I have an extra sitting out that has the spring setting just a bit lower. I think once you install it the pressure on the spring will line up just fine.

zibby43
12-22-15, 23:47
I have an extra sitting out that has the spring setting just a bit lower. I think once you install it the pressure on the spring will line up just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to check. Truly appreciate it. I figured there would be minor variations in spring orientation with respect to this mass-produced product.

wigbones
12-22-15, 23:50
Thanks for taking the time to check. Truly appreciate it. I figured there would be minor variations in spring orientation with respect to this mass-produced product.

Glad I could help. I think you're exactly right as to the minor variations in spring orientation. Best of luck with the upgrade. The extended slide release is a nice improvement.

DirectTo
12-23-15, 00:01
I've got five sitting around, one of which is new in bag uninstalled and the others through various round counts. All look identical with just variation in the spring slightly.

Once you see how it goes in you'll see it'll pretty much align itself and just require a little wiggling to fit (it should not take much pressure on the pin for either removal or installation if you weren't aware).

I used to be a big extended slide lock fan but now I've removed them all and gone back to the regular ones, so I've got a few sitting around.

zibby43
12-23-15, 00:15
Glad I could help. I think you're exactly right as to the minor variations in spring orientation. Best of luck with the upgrade. The extended slide release is a nice improvement.

Thank you sir! I had a chance to try one out a while back and while I usually "slingshot," I did appreciate the fact that the extended slide release allowed me to find/engage the mechanism a bit more swiftly/effortlessly when using the slide stop itself.

Have a great rest of the holiday season and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

I've got five sitting around, one of which is new in bag uninstalled and the others through various round counts. All look identical with just variation in the spring slightly.

Once you see how it goes in you'll see it'll pretty much align itself and just require a little wiggling to fit (it should not take much pressure on the pin for either removal or installation if you weren't aware).

I used to be a big extended slide lock fan but now I've removed them all and gone back to the regular ones, so I've got a few sitting around.

Thank you for the reply and useful installation tips, DirecTo. Members like you and wigbones make this forum a very valuable resource.

I take it by your reply that my new unit looks similar to the five you have sitting around (i.e., the spring is oriented in roughly the same position)?

Although I suppose that's a moot point by now as both you and wigbones made the excellent point re: pressure on the spring causing things to line up correctly during installation.

treecop
12-23-15, 08:39
Looks good. The extended slide stop improves speed on slide lock reloads, but can be an issue for accidental activation during recoil. Love it on my 19, not so much on my 23.
The Vickers slide stop is a better option IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirectTo
12-23-15, 09:54
I take it by your reply that my new unit looks similar to the five you have sitting around (i.e., the spring is oriented in roughly the same position)?
Correct. Looks good - give it a try.

As mentioned it's a little too effective for some people outside a competition gun. At one point I had them on all my Glocks but as I mentioned I've gone back to the stock ones and prefer them over the extended or an aftermarket one. Personal preference. Enjoy!

prdubi
12-23-15, 10:31
Because of you...I took the liberty of taking mines out. Orientation is the same.
And saying that in a bad way either. ..it was good practice to break down my glock again.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

zibby43
12-23-15, 14:51
Looks good. The extended slide stop improves speed on slide lock reloads, but can be an issue for accidental activation during recoil. Love it on my 19, not so much on my 23.
The Vickers slide stop is a better option IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply/feedback, treecop. Very much appreciated. This is for use on my G19 as well. I look forward to seeing how it holds up as I put it through its paces.

I haven't tried the Vickers offering but I'm keen on trying one out now so that I can compare to the OEM piece. Enjoy the holidays!

Correct. Looks good - give it a try.

As mentioned it's a little too effective for some people outside a competition gun. At one point I had them on all my Glocks but as I mentioned I've gone back to the stock ones and prefer them over the extended or an aftermarket one. Personal preference. Enjoy!

Thanks again, DirectTo! Supremely grateful for the amount of useful feedback that you and others have provided.

Because of you...I took the liberty of taking mines out. Orientation is the same.
And saying that in a bad way either. ..it was good practice to break down my glock again.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking the time to provide additional confirmation, prdubi. Glad I could help facilitate some extra practice hah! Have a good one.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. Concerns mollified. Knowledge enhanced. This forum is an outstanding resource.

zibby43
12-23-15, 18:47
As an update, I had a second Glock/OEM extended slide release (for 3 pin models) on order which was delivered today (I like to have backup parts).

The second OEM component's spring orientation looks virtually identical. If anything, the near-apex of the curved portion of the spring is perhaps a bit closer to the pin hole.

Reading/seeing how the part installs (very intuitive), it now makes sense why the springs that have been "used" look a bit different.

Thanks again to everyone who responded; each reply provided me with meaningful data. I don't tinker with my weapons too much, and when I do, I like to use proven, reputable parts from either the OE manufacturer or well-respected companies/vendors. Whenever I do install/modify something, I like to understand the form and function of the modification as much as possible.