PDA

View Full Version : Reloading steel cases?

BeauxKneauxs
12-23-15, 12:47
Lee Precision states under their FAQ's that steel case ammo can be reloaded with their carbide dies, given it is not Berdan primed. I have always heard that steel cases weren't reloadable (or maybe not worth the trouble is a better statement). Also, isn't it highly unlikely that a steel case is Boxer primed?

Leuthas
12-23-15, 12:55
Steel is a poor case material for reloading because it is incredibly difficult to shape properly to spec after being fired.

Carbide dit's may help with that. I don't see myself ever reloading steel regardless.

Auto-X Fil
12-23-15, 12:57
You pretty much figured it out. It's not worth the trouble, even if you find boxer-primed stuff.

Anything is going to be harder to form and much slower to trim to length. It will also probably not last as long. And it'll rust sooner or later.

In a high-pressure round like .223, it's not dangerous per se, but it removes a lot of the safety margin than brass gives you.

In .45 ACP or other low-pressure pistol rounds that don't need trimming, it is probably not horrendous. But when brass is basically free at the range... Nobody bothers, other than an as experiment.

AM-15
12-23-15, 17:33
OP;
Don't waste your time with steel cases.

Clarence

meausoc
12-23-15, 18:07
I have reloaded steel Wolf .45ACP cases just to see if it could be done and it was fine. But as others have said don't waste your time with it unless it is in tough times.

BeauxKneauxs
12-23-15, 18:35
That's what I've always thought. I was surprised to see the info on Lee's website. I am in no way condoning it.

markm
12-23-15, 20:10
I did it just for the experience/curiosity. It was a futile exercise in futility. So stupid. My carbide die setting for real casings didn't translate for steel. I had to run them through twice, and even then it was borderline. So dumb.

w3453l
12-23-15, 20:51
Just out of curiosity, does reloading steel cases damage dies in any way? I knew a guy who chased after steel tula 9 mm cases like they were worth their weight in gold. He said he knew someone that reloads them for him. I took it as typical gun store type BS, but he said he's been doing it for a while.

markm
12-24-15, 20:21
It won't hurt carbide dies. Might slightly accelerate wear on steel dies. But it's really a waste of time in my experience.

TheChunkNorris
12-24-15, 23:50
Lee Precision states under their FAQ's that steel case ammo can be reloaded with their carbide dies, given it is not Berdan primed. I have always heard that steel cases weren't reloadable (or maybe not worth the trouble is a better statement). Also, isn't it highly unlikely that a steel case is Boxer primed?

There's some companies now that are using boxer primed steel cases so I guess this may be something that might start happening more often.

dmsdog
12-25-15, 21:40
I was curious as well and have discovered it is very easy to reload steel boxer-primed 5.56 cases, 45 ACP cases and 40 S&W cases. I don't do it every day, but in a pinch the are very reloadable. Will also say that boxer-primed aluminum Blazer cases reload as easily.

Only recommended if TSHTF and they are the only cases available.

Airhasz
12-26-15, 11:08
I was curious as well and have discovered it is very easy to reload steel boxer-primed 5.56 cases, 45 ACP cases and 40 S&W cases. I don't do it every day, but in a pinch the are very reloadable. Will also say that boxer-primed aluminum Blazer cases reload as easily.

Only recommended if TSHTF and they are the only cases available.

I'd probably take a shovel to the local shooting area and dig up some artifact brass first.:)

Gunfixr
12-26-15, 19:20
I've tried the steel 45acp cases, and bullets weren't tight in them, so gave that up.
However, loaded a ton of 223 cases. Used to use them in 3 gun, where you usually lose brass. Also good for rainy days, let them fly and leave them.
If they were originally fired in a large chamber, it often splits resizing. At the time, I had a rifle with a fairly tight chamber, and used steel for practice, and would pick it up for loading.
Mostly, it only got loaded once, but I reused several until failure, to see how long they would last. They usually split on the 4th loading.
I was loading 62gr fmjs, at 5.56 velocities.

Was kind of funny, actually. The guy running the timer would be hearing a 5.56 crack, but watching steel come out the port. Several times I was told they didn't think wolf was that hot.

Haven't done it in awhile now, don't really need to anymore.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk