PDA

View Full Version : New or Used

msigette
12-26-15, 19:31
So I will be looking at purchasing my first nice piece of glass within the next few months and I am wondering what you guys prefer. New or used and why? The way I see it if you buy used you can save a decent amount of cash, but if you buy new you get the warranty, which for a lot of these companies is a life time warranty for the "original" owner. So what do you guys like? Help me decide.

SkiDevil
12-26-15, 20:21
What type of optic are you looking to purchase?

Kain
12-26-15, 21:05
What type of optic are you looking to purchase?

This! Some optics on the used market just are not worth it to me. Unless I am getting at least 25% off retail, not MSRP but retail it really doesn't do anything for me unless I know the seller and how they treated their stuff. The $50 off a used Aimpoint is a great example, at that point I am buying new.

wigbones
12-26-15, 21:50
Vortex has some great scopes and the warranty tranfers over no questions asked. There are great deals to be had both new and used regardless of whichever optic you decide to purchase. Do some homework pricing what you want to buy, then go find a deal whether it's new or used. Buy from someone reputable or with a good history of positive feedback. Good luck.

msigette
12-26-15, 22:27
I am looking at building an SPR type rifle this coming year and I am still doing research into what type of scope I want to put on it. Wigbones, thanks for that info about Vortex. I had no idea they did that and that will deffinately be factored into my final choice.

GH41
12-27-15, 08:02
The Leupold warranty is lifetime to anyone who ships it to them. I will buy second hand only if it is exactly what I am looking for and the savings offset the hassle of buying used. Remember... 20% off of the street price of a $2500 scope is a better deal than 20% off of a $400 scope.

tmanker
12-27-15, 10:23
OP, do you have a budget?

JoshNC
12-27-15, 10:59
I like buying used optics. Snipershide optics PX is the best place to find good deals on gently used high end optics.

_Stormin_
12-27-15, 16:39
The Leupold warranty is lifetime to anyone who ships it to them.

One of the reasons my SPR build runs a Leopold. They've taken care of several family members (even on a "used" optic), all with no hassle, and they continue to state:

With the Leupold Gold Ring Full Lifetime Guarantee, if your Leupold product doesn’t perform as promised, we will repair or replace it for free, whether you are the original owner or not—forever.

msigette
12-27-15, 17:00
I was thinking I will end up saving up about $1000, but I could go as high as $1500. The only thing is the more I spend the longer I will have to save, and just like most if I can get away with spending less I am not opposed to the idea. I am looking at possibly a 2.5-10 or a 3-12, but i am always open to other suggestions. I would like FFP and I am thinking a MIL/MIL scope. This will be my first time really using any type of "tick" mark within the scope, as I was raised using Kentucky windage and learning my hold overs. Also, I am only realistically looking to shoot out to 5-600 yards. As always any and all help is appreciated.

msigette
12-27-15, 17:06
One more thing do a lot of you prefer capped turrets or open, and if you run open turrets, have your turrets ever moved on you?

tmanker
12-27-15, 18:00
i really like the Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm with M2 turrets and TMR reticle. I wouldn't consider it "fast" and it doesn't replace a red dot in any way, but your last post mentioned more magnification than the original post. I feel like most folks want a HD or SHTF do-all weapon when they buy their first AR and would naturally use a micro t1, PRO, et..., but after the initial excitement wears off, the red dot doesn't see a lot of use. I would buy a scope with some magnification in 2-10x range first.

WS6
12-27-15, 18:56
New, unless I know the seller or their reputation. For example, if Molon sold a scope used, I would buy it hesitation free, because I know he did not over-torque the rings, etc.
However, if some guy with a post-count of 3 popped up selling a Kahles or something and pictured it in a set of Tasco rings...NOPE! Not even once.