PDA

View Full Version : Strike Industries - J-Comp Installation Help

Kdubya
12-26-15, 21:03
Hey Everyone!

I know this may be a very basic question, but would rather be laughed at for asking then waste the only crush washer that came with my new Muzzle device. So, it's a Strike Industries J Comp. Best bang for the buck that I could find, and I was gifted one for Christmas. However, it did not come with instructions (even though it was pictured on the website). I know a muzzle break installation is a Novice level alteration, but was wondering if anyone had instructions for this particular Break lying around. My main question would be, is there a Top and Bottom? I know the "ports/chambers" should be horizontal to the ground. Meaning they are oriented East/West. But, I know some breaks cut the chambers with more/less material on one side vs another. There is a "SI" logo on one side of the Break, so I'll likely orient it with that on the top side. Just figured it was worth checking beforehand. If nothing else, anyone have experience with these breaks? Do they seem to hold up over time?

Thanks!

ColtSeavers
12-27-15, 02:42
Hey Everyone!

I know this may be a very basic question, but would rather be laughed at for asking then waste the only crush washer that came with my new Muzzle device. So, it's a Strike Industries J Comp. Best bang for the buck that I could find, and I was gifted one for Christmas. However, it did not come with instructions (even though it was pictured on the website). I know a muzzle break installation is a Novice level alteration, but was wondering if anyone had instructions for this particular Break lying around. My main question would be, is there a Top and Bottom? I know the "ports/chambers" should be horizontal to the ground. Meaning they are oriented East/West. But, I know some breaks cut the chambers with more/less material on one side vs another. There is a "SI" logo on one side of the Break, so I'll likely orient it with that on the top side. Just figured it was worth checking beforehand. If nothing else, anyone have experience with these breaks? Do they seem to hold up over time?

Thanks!

As far as alignment goes, there is no 'true' top and bottom due to it's design, however, generally the hole for permanent pinning goes on the bottom and the logo on top to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Kdubya
12-27-15, 07:31
As far as alignment goes, there is no 'true' top and bottom due to it's design, however, generally the hole for permanent pinning goes on the bottom and the logo on top to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks! It makes sense, as the ports look the same no matter how it is oriented. I'll set it up with the logo on top and pin on the bottom. I'm looking forward to trying this thing out. Thanks again!

ColtSeavers
12-27-15, 12:53
Thanks! It makes sense, as the ports look the same no matter how it is oriented. I'll set it up with the logo on top and pin on the bottom. I'm looking forward to trying this thing out. Thanks again!

No problem.

ETA: Feel free to post about your experiences with the SI J-Comp and rifle in general as well.

Kdubya
12-27-15, 14:28
No problem.

ETA: Feel free to post about your experiences with the SI J-Comp and rifle in general as well.

Will do! I thought your name sounded familiar. We had the discussion on the Fusion and CLUB ammo accuracy. Did you end up picking up some of the fusion from PSA? I grabbed a couple hundred at those prices. Couldn't pass it up!

I did make a range trip today. Shot mostly pistols. I didn't get the J-Comp mounted yet. I don't have an action rod or the proper vice blocks. So, I have to pick one up or will just have my gunsmith do it. He probably won't charge me, so I'll likely have him throw it on tomorrow.

I still want to do an accuracy test for you, but I only have a red dot on my AR. So, groups at 100 won't be the best representation. I've got a cheap scope I can throw on there that someone gave me, or I could take the 4-14 that I have on my Remington 700 and slap it on the AR for the test. Either way, I promise to get you a solid range report on the ammo and J-Comp. I also got some Clear Ballistics Gel for Christmas. So, I'll hopefully have a lot of good info to share. Thanks again, and I hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

ColtSeavers
12-28-15, 03:15
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please do not feel beholden to me in any way.

I believe I do remember the PSA Fusion MSR link from the 'best 5.56 defense round' thread awhile ago if memory serves. I actually have not bought any of the MSR as my shooting habits, desires and situations favor cheap, above average performing m855 and mk262 mod1 bulk purchases.

I do however have a very small stash of non-MSR Fusion that I plan to add to by buying a box or two more to next time I'm at the fun store.

Hope you enjoy your rifle, shooting, J-Comp and have a happy holiday season as well.

Just Prince
12-28-15, 07:13
This is based on a conversation I had with a co worker who shoots three gun. He has a Miculek Comp but I think the concept is the same. He shoots right handed so he aligned the Comp so the gasses shoot upward and rightward. He said it assist him with keeping the rifle flat.

Kdubya
12-28-15, 14:23
This is based on a conversation I had with a co worker who shoots three gun. He has a Miculek Comp but I think the concept is the same. He shoots right handed so he aligned the Comp so the gasses shoot upward and rightward. He said it assist him with keeping the rifle flat.

That makes sense, and thanks for the input! I'd agree that the two breaks seem very similar in how they are designed and supposed to operate. I think I'll start with a true East/West orientation, and then toy around with the positioning to see if it yields any drastically different results.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please do not feel beholden to me in any way.

I believe I do remember the PSA Fusion MSR link from the 'best 5.56 defense round' thread awhile ago if memory serves. I actually have not bought any of the MSR as my shooting habits, desires and situations favor cheap, above average performing m855 and mk262 mod1 bulk purchases.

I do however have a very small stash of non-MSR Fusion that I plan to add to by buying a box or two more to next time I'm at the fun store.

Hope you enjoy your rifle, shooting, J-Comp and have a happy holiday season as well.

I certainly don't feel beholden, but appreciate you conveying that sentiment. I'm genuinely interested in sharing the results of the J-Comp and ammo. However, living in the Midwest, I feel the shooting may be at risk of being put on hold for a couple months. I still have the overpriced indoor ranges as an option, but they're not much fun with a rifle.

I'm like you, in most everything I purchase ammo wise being of the cheap, reliable, & practice variety. I always keep an eye out for the occasional deal on any of the "top performers" in the defensive realm. I've ammassed a nice little stash of BH 50gr TSX, LE223T3, Remington CLUB, and Fusion/MSR. I haven't dabbled too much into the MK 318 or 262. I'd like to go after some of the 318, as I run a 1:9 16" M4 profile. It does okay with the 77 gr pills, but I'd want to do some more testing with the 262 before stockpiling a bunch of that particular round. I look forward to seeing you around the forums and have a great day!

Kdubya
12-28-15, 22:42
So, I stopped by my gunsmith's shop today and he put the J-Comp on for me. As suspected, he wouldn't accept any cash for the service. Really a good guy, knowledgable, honest, and fair. But that's another story :)

He oriented it with the SI Logo on top and the Chambers East/West. Later this evening, I threw in the Geissele SD-C that I received for Christmas as well. The trigger feels AWESOME! I can't wait to try out the new additions, and think I'll try to make a trip to the range tomorrow. I imagine these two upgrades are going to make it feel like a completely different rifle, and hope to give you a report on each. I'm adding a couple pics to showcase the new goods. This rifle sure looks a lot different than the day I picked it up. Gone are the days of the plastic handguards and clunky carry handle!

I'll keep you all posted on how this Brake works out. Thanks!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvwpywvug.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvwpywvug.jpg.html)

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps98tjco68.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps98tjco68.jpg.html)

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswm7eyenq.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswm7eyenq.jpg.html)

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsewlavxwp.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsewlavxwp.jpg.html)

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnzlr17af.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnzlr17af.jpg.html)

Rifleman_04
12-28-15, 22:54
I've been running the j-comp for almost a year now on my beater/experimental 17" rifle gas gun and makes it shoot very soft and flat. There is a bit of concussion but not as bad as others I've been around. I dig it.

ColtSeavers
12-29-15, 00:09
Just me, or are you in need of a grip on that rifle?

Kdubya
12-29-15, 02:25
Just me, or are you in need of a grip on that rifle?

I can't decide on one, so I haven't added one yet ;)

Actually, I was messing with my Slide Fire stock the other day and this picture was taken just before swapping it off for the traditional hardware. I didn't want to leave it on for the picture because I wanted to avoid all the keyboard warrior comments. Is it practical? No. Is it fun from time to time? Heck yeah. I've found its a great way to test defensive ammo and its ability to cycle properly. If I can run a few mags of 5-10 rounds at that rate of fire, in addition to full mags under normal rate of fire, I'm confident enough that my rifle can handle it without issue. I try not to dump entire mags. The barrel and gun can handle it, but I don't want to put too much unnecessary stress on everything.

Kdubya
12-31-15, 01:56
So, I made it to the Indoor 25 Yard Range and wanted to give an update on the new goods. I can get a little long-winded, so if you want the short version; the J-Comp is worth every penny! At only $29, it has to be the best value out there. Heck, a standard A2 can cost that or more, and this blows it away. Recoil is subjective. But, for me, the decrease in both muzzle climb and felt recoil was pretty remarkable. The .223/5.56 is already a pretty tame round, but this break makes it feel like shooting a .22 lr. Regrettably, I didn't really pay much attention to muzzle flash. However, I don't recall seeing much, if any, as I normally would with the old A2. So, it certainly isn't any worse. Bottom line, it was noticably quicker getting my sight picture reaquired and felt like I was shooting a different rifle.

There are two "negatives" that I want to address. I put the word negative in quotes for a reason, as I don't think either are really cause for concern. At least for my purposes.

1) The concussion or blast was louder. How much? I don't really have a way to know. For me, it sounded different, but in a negligible way. However, the range was busy and the groups in the stalls on each side commented on the report from the muzzle (insert explosive hand motion, lol). I had a couple people ask me what I was shooting, and they were surprised when I said, "just a 5.56 AR". They said they thought it was some "high powered" rifle. I realize an AR technically is exactly that, but you get the gist of it. I asked if they'd prefer I stop, and they both said it was no problem and that they were just curious about the type of rifle. So either they were really nice, or it wasn't unbearable. I passively kept an eye on those around me and none looked irritated at any point. Again, we were indoors, so the noise certainly gets amplified. I'm heading to the outdoor range with my wife this weekend and will have her shoot it while I stand in the stall next to her to see how loud it really is. So, while not an issue for my purposes. If you do a lot of training with friends/teams in a close quarters environment, it might be worth noting. It does make me think I should make sure I have some ears handy in the event something goes "bump in the night".

2) It did slightly change my POI. This was kind of expected as a new device will likely change the harmonics a small amount. Not an issue for me, and it didn't seem to effect the groupings with the surplus ammo. I also was wanting to rezero anyway as I wanted to switch from a 25yd to a 50yd zero. I've been eager to try out the modified Zeroing targets that "thecolter" graciously shared with the masses. I can't thank him enough for taking the time to provide those to everyone. Excellent job, sir! Unfortunately, the indoor range isn't really conducive to shooting supported from a rest, so my makeshift setup wasn't ideal for precision. It's also a little tough, at least for me, to pick up the bullseye of the printed Zeroing targets. The range isn't lit very well at the end, and I have mediocre vision. If any of you have the same factors at play, I might recommend sticking one of those replacement bullseyes they give you with the reactive splatter targets onto the printed paper target. I've used those reactive ones before at that range, and they are much easier to pick up. It would have been nice to have some available for this trip, but, oh well. I also wish I hadn't waited till the end of the trip to use the zeroing target. Initially I was shooting to see if the groupings seemed to change. So, I still need to do a little more adjusting having run out of ammo. But, hey, it's a good excuse to go back soon :dance3: ! Sorry, I got a little sidetracked there. Back to why the POI shift might matter to you. While it didn't noticably effect my groupings (I'm an average shot), I feel it might be possible that it could mess with the group sizes of certain loads. So, if you hand load, you may need to do a little tweaking. I've heard of Muzzle Devices doing this before. So, seeing that it did cause a POI shift, I feel it is worth noting.

I'll try to get some video of it this weekend, as I went alone on yesterday's trip. I did take a photo of the zeroing target for future reference and will throw it up here. Please don't be too hard on me. Again, I'm an average shot. One final note. I'll probably have to start a new thread for my Geissele SD-C review. Suffice it to say, I'll never go back to a mil-spec bang switch. That trigger is AMAZING! These two additions added a whole new level of fun to a rifle that I already love to shoot. Well, that's it for now. Feel free to ask any questions, and thank you to those that stuck with me through this lengthy post. Happy shooting!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy2xiylmw.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy2xiylmw.jpg.html)

ColtSeavers
01-08-16, 15:43
Thank you for sharing your findings.

Kdubya
01-08-16, 19:25
Thank you for sharing your findings.

No problem. Not the most technical review. But muzzle climb and recoil are a very subjective thing; minus the extreme ends of the caliber spectrum. Bottom line, it's definitely worth the $29.