PDA

View Full Version : Optic Noobie needs advice

dwtdwt
12-27-15, 12:51
I've read through several posts and to be honest a new optic for my AR is a daunting decision. I have a good friend, who I trust very much, that keeps telling me to get the Aimpoint PRO for all around performance - We found a good deal on it for less than $400 at AIM Surplus (if anyone knows of a better price out there please let me know) but I'm torn as a part of me thinks I need some magnification. I'm not trying to bust groundhogs at long 300 yards or anything here; just need something fast and reliable. I've never purchased anything better than a SightMark and want to make sure that I make the right decision as it's a pretty big investment.

I feel like the PRO is the right decision but am mainly wondering if anyone has anything to add (or a better deal than $400) before I "pull the trigger" on it.

Thanks-

ColtSeavers
12-27-15, 13:00
I've read through several posts and to be honest a new optic for my AR is a daunting decision. I have a good friend, who I trust very much, that keeps telling me to get the Aimpoint PRO for all around performance - We found a good deal on it for less than $400 at AIM Surplus (if anyone knows of a better price out there please let me know) but I'm torn as a part of me thinks I need some magnification. I'm not trying to bust groundhogs at long 300 yards or anything here; just need something fast and reliable. I've never purchased anything better than a SightMark and want to make sure that I make the right decision as it's a pretty big investment.

I feel like the PRO is the right decision but am mainly wondering if anyone has anything to add (or a better deal than $400) before I "pull the trigger" on it.

Thanks-

What AR do you have/have you built?

To cover all the bases, is it safe to assume this AR will be a (dreaded) 'general purpose' AR?
If so, then you have a good friend. Nothing wrong with an Aimpoint Pro for a red dot for all around work. It has a solid reliable reputation. I would also therefore suggest shooting the snot out of your AR before further deciding on other optics, accesories or even builds.

VIP3R 237
12-27-15, 13:06
I don't think there is a better option for the price point than the Pro. However if you don't need night vision and want to save a little you can find the ACO at Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas for $300-ish.

_Stormin_
12-27-15, 13:15
I don't think there is a better option for the price point than the Pro. However if you don't need night vision and want to save a little you can find the ACO at Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas for $300-ish.

THIS... $289 today at Brownells for the Aimpoint ACO with coupon code. This and a pack of batteries and your ready to run for years. If you do not need/have NVGs then the ACO is what you need. Saving a hundred over the Pro isn't the worst plan.

Skar
12-27-15, 15:55
Get the pro from American defense Optic mount combo $425 shipped
The ADM mount is Quick release and lighter then stock mount .

You need to regerster

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/optic-devicecombos/aimpoint/aimpoint-pro-combos/

dwtdwt
12-27-15, 16:06
Okay. Ty all. PRO it is I think.

Hmac
12-27-15, 16:23
Agree...PRO. Try the stock mount. It doesn't get much love around here but I have two PROs and simply don't have a problem with the mount...at least one and usually two high round-count carbine courses a year. If you think you might need magnification for those 100+ yard shots, you can get a magnifier later. I picked up a used G33 here on EE. It has a QD mount...I use it on several different rifles with RDSs.

Just Prince
12-27-15, 16:58
What are you using the optic for? Is this a range gun or a work gun? You could save money and doe a the savings on ammo with Vortex Sparc II. If this is a work gun go with the Aimpoint.

Auto426
12-27-15, 16:59
The PRO is a great all-round optic that will serve you well. If you want a little magnification, then I would suggest a 1-4x variable scope, like a Vortex Viper PST. The scope will allow you to shoot out a little further, but it's a heavier overall package.

snowdog650
12-27-15, 23:42
For times when I absolutely must have a bit of magnification (which is extremely rare), I use a Vortex 3x magnifier with flip mount in front of my PRO.

It's probably not as clear as the Aimpoint 3x, but for 1/3 the price, it foots the bill for my purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-VMX-3T-Magnifier-Flip-Mount/dp/B00BQWTC14