PDA

View Full Version : New M&P with Apex FSS trigger kit or Sig P320

UPDLEO
12-27-15, 14:28
Up for consideration is a new, current production M&P 9 with polymer Apex FSS trigger kit or Sig P320. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the 2 dimple barrels? Which would you get between these two and why? ( I already have a G17 and 19)

awmp
12-27-15, 15:27
That is a tough call.

I have both the full size 9mm M&P with Apex and Sig P320 (15 rounder version, Compact).

Both are great shooters.

The M&P full size 9mm feels great in the hand and shoots just as well. I actually have three of the full size M&Ps, 9mm and all have Apex. The Apex makes the trigger really nice.

The Sig P320 has taken time for me to get "warmed up to". I have all three size frames, large, med and small, finally deciding on the small. Unloaded the Sig feels a little front heavy but its strong point is its out of the box trigger. The short coming is spare magazines are $40 each, twice the cost of Glock or S&W M&P mags. Sig P320s are making there way more and more in to the LEO areas but it is still the "new kid" on the block.

Not sure of the 2 dimple barrel accuracy. I have a KKM barrel in one M&P and factory in the other two, all shoot equally well.

Good luck in your decision.

rebelsooner
12-27-15, 15:58
I would go with the sig. I was strongly considering the sig and have shot it and it's predecessor, 250, the 320 trigger is pretty damn nice. The frame and feel of the gun is nice as well. The sig appears massive compared to Glocks and M&P's but in all reality you're splitting hairs over the dimensions. However, if you're use to carrying a particular platform, I'm sure you'd notice the difference.

I have the full size m&p with the apex fss trigger and have put a lot of time and ammo through it. It's a shame it required so much to get it where I wanted it but it's a great platform.

That being said, I have been considering other platforms which lead me to the sig. In the end, I've made the plunge and purchased a glock 17. I never thought I would do that but I compared a 17 to my M&P and the glock outshot my m&p. It was an eye opener for me and a true testament to Glocks. I have despised them for so long I refused to consider them and have realized my bias was getting in the way of a proven platform.

Good luck with your decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texaspoff
12-28-15, 06:32
Between your two choices I would without hesitation go with the Sig. The M&P has better ergos than the Glock hands down. The M&P platform has had some bumps along they way. I have never warmed up to the M&P and have owned several and I am also an armorer. With that being said, try out a 320 first. Some people don't like the way the grip feels on them, it is a bit more rounded than the Glock or the M&P. I personally love the 320, and it's ergos. It replaced my Glocks as duty weapons, and I was carrying them for over 16 years.

The best thing to do is find a range that rents them and try out all three. The glocks are proven without a doubt. I do believe though that the 320 will take more of the LE market from Glock than the M&P ever did. All three guns are very close in price, but one thing to consider is the added expense of the M&P and getting the FSS trigger system, and then having to go with a different barrel is you have issue with it's accuracy. A est $400 LE M&P could easily top 600+ with the all the additions.

TXPO

JSantoro
12-28-15, 08:13
As an M&P owner/carrier who's managed to walk between raindrops...go with the 320.

The M&P problems are not now, nor ever were, in the barrels themselves. Their slides can come off the line wonky, and sometimes another barrel (be it another stock, a drop-in, or a fitted one) *may* compensate for that (there's no guarantee)...or it just happens to shoot fine. Too much Wheel of Destiny, unless you're willing to ship an entire M&P off to somebody like Apex, who's doing fitted barrels tuned to both the slide and the block in the frame, with attendant costs.

As I said, "walked between raindrops." All of my M&P9s shoot fine, and even the one I had a barrel fitted to, it made a tight-shooting gun tighter, and I'm willing to shell out the dough to bring one up to par, if needed. I like the things.

...versus a gun that's essentially fine right out of the box, with virtually no work necessary (aside from personal tastes in sights, I consider that a given). Between having had a chance to try them out more than once on my own, plus shooting/working with a Team Sig guy, the 320s are like nicely-shaped boobs: whether they've been in the shop or not, they feel great in the hand regardless of size, are very fun to play with, and come with enthusiastic support. Impressive accuracy @ 50yd, easily on a par with HK, by my judgment.

Beat Trash
12-28-15, 09:57
I've carried an Issued M&P9 since they were first introduced. Literally, as our initial T&E guns were pre-production prototypes. I'm on my second issued M&P9. The newer the guns, the less impressed I am with them.

Out of your two choices, I'd go with a Sig 320. I own a 320c and it's a nice pistol I'd also expand your options and take a hard look at the HK VP9.

dwhitehorne
12-29-15, 19:40
I have both also. I just started with the Sig a few months ago and have had multiple M&PS since the first came out. I think the stock M&P grip is rather slippery without stippling. I don't think I would own a M&P without Apex parts. The stock Sig is right there with the modified M&P. I have many thousand rounds between the multiple M&PS I've owned but shoot the Sig better. Good luck with your new Sig. :D. David