PDA

View Full Version : Normally I dont cuss but MOTHER F SCIATICA

sadmin
12-28-15, 16:36
Its becoming my equivalent of a woman's menstrual cycle. I injured L4/L5 to some capacity last year which set me on this damned course. Could have been squats or some retarded day I decided to jump off my roof to impress my kids or something. Uncertain. I had a CT, took some NSAIDs, rested, and started to work out again. Slight discomfort but only noticeable on long drives or sleeping at night. Now its back and im at work with some giant rice sock giving me 3rd degree burns.

Sleeping...that used to be a non-issue for me. Now I have some bizarre setup with a pillow behind my back to keep me from rolling over, a pillow between my knees, on my left side. Its ridiculous. I hate dull, consistent pain. It drives me crazy. When my wisdom teeth were coming in, I slit my gum with an exacto-knife to move along the process so you can imagine what I want to do to my tail bone area. Cant lay on my back without my knees up like im giving birth, cant sleep on my stomach without something pushing my hips into the air like a freakshow.

Does this ever go away? Ill admit I havent maintained a stretching regiment like I should. I did piriformis stretch, dynamic piriformis stretch, dove pose, etc.. last time it flared up. Has anyone conquered this nonsense once and for all? Will buying a foam roller help?

THCDDM4
12-28-15, 16:42
Go see a chiropractor and a CMT/body worker.

I have not had personal experience with Sciatica; but my father in law had it bad and after we finally talked him into seeing a chiro and body worker he wishes he would have listened sooner.

cbx
12-28-15, 16:51
Uncle had problems for 2 years, nerve studies and doctors galore....

75 dollar acupuncture from some Asian gal fixed it. Not saying that's your situation, but don't rule anything out.

sadmin
12-28-15, 16:55
I will rule nothing out. Haven't considered acupuncture, thanks-
Same with CMT, I was seeing a Chiro after it happened and had some adjustments but nothing is deep enough for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THCDDM4
12-28-15, 16:57
I will rule nothing out. Haven't considered acupuncture, thanks-
Same with CMT, I was seeing a Chiro after it happened and had some adjustments but nothing is deep enough for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done acupuncture treatment but have heard really good things from family members and friends who needed unconventional treatment. I would try it and CMT/body work and see if it helps.

Hope you feel better man!

WillBrink
12-28-15, 17:01
Its becoming my equivalent of a woman's menstrual cycle. I injured L4/L5 to some capacity last year which set me on this damned course. Could have been squats or some retarded day I decided to jump off my roof to impress my kids or something. Uncertain. I had a CT, took some NSAIDs, rested, and started to work out again. Slight discomfort but only noticeable on long drives or sleeping at night. Now its back and im at work with some giant rice sock giving me 3rd degree burns.

Sleeping...that used to be a non-issue for me. Now I have some bizarre setup with a pillow behind my back to keep me from rolling over, a pillow between my knees, on my left side. Its ridiculous. I hate dull, consistent pain. It drives me crazy. When my wisdom teeth were coming in, I slit my gum with an exacto-knife to move along the process so you can imagine what I want to do to my tail bone area. Cant lay on my back without my knees up like im giving birth, cant sleep on my stomach without something pushing my hips into the air like a freakshow.

Does this ever go away? Ill admit I havent maintained a stretching regiment like I should. I did piriformis stretch, dynamic piriformis stretch, dove pose, etc.. last time it flared up. Has anyone conquered this nonsense once and for all? Will buying a foam roller help?

Yes and yes.

skydivr
12-28-15, 17:01
If you ruptured a disc, there is nothing that will fix it except surgery. If you've hearniated one, there are a lot of things (Physical Therapy helped me) to do...

Be careful about a chiropractor, he made mine MUCH worse...

Good luck. I know what it feels like to not be able to find any contortionist position that lets the pain go away, even for just a moment...It sucks...

donlapalma
12-28-15, 17:12
Did you see a doctor? Sounds like you did since you cite "CT". What did that examination reveal?

I have back issues in the L4/L5 region as well and back surgery is without a doubt in my future. I dealt with very annoying and painful sciatica for most, if not all, of 2014. I managed the symptoms using physical therapy, at-home stretching / exercises, massage therapy including a foam roller, TENS unit, prescription topical cream, and NSAIDS. The physical therapy and at-home exercises worked the best for me but you do have to be disciplined and keep up a routine. The TENS unit helped on the really painful days so you might want to take a look at that. You can find one on Amazon.com for a very reasonable price. I would also wear the TENS at night if I had trouble sleeping. What do you do for work? Are you in a chair most of the day? If so, try to change your setup so you can stand while working. I completely understand your frustration so I wish you the best of luck.

OH58D
12-28-15, 19:13
Back during my days in Central America (84-85), I had an unplanned hard landing due to small arms fire. Ruptured the L5-S1. Had surgery on it shortly after. It re-ruptured again in 1993, but had a Lumbar micro discectomy then by a neurosurgeon. Small incision; surgery one day and out the next. I can tell you that if the disc is ruptured, you will have to have surgery. I would recommend a neurosurgeon instead of a "big back" orthopedic surgeon. Recovery time is longer with the latter type of doctor. Stay away from Chiropractors as they are nothing but modern day Witch Doctors. They still prescribe copper bracelets for arthritis and have the same success rate as a TV Preacher.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-28-15, 19:28
I thought this was a movie review of the new Emily Blunt Cartel movie.

steyrman13
12-28-15, 19:31
I know what you are feeling! I dropped a tree when pinned me down sitting right on my tailbone and my head between my knees almost face touching my crotch. That was 6 years ago. I have had an CT scan and X-rays at that time and , X-rays on tailbone, and a MRI recently and nothing can be found. I have had piriformis, sharp tailbone pain, and sciatica pain for 6 years now. Some of it will come and go. The piriformis can settle down with some strengthening exercises my PT gave me. I haven't found anything for the tailbone and sciatica yet though. I fly and drive a lot and it is a pain in the A**...;). My PT has always (35 years) been worried about Chiropractors doing more damage rather than healing or repairing what PT and surgeons are in the field for. Following for advice as well because if you find a fix I want to know too!

Skyyr
12-28-15, 19:42
Find a GOOD chiropractor. A good chiropractor can make a huge difference, whereas a bad one can make things worse.

Also, as silly as it might sound, Yoga seriously helps in many back and spine injuries. Don't disregard it - go out and find a class that focuses on strength and control - it'll help greatly.

Averageman
12-28-15, 19:47
Find a GOOD chiropractor. A good chiropractor can make a huge difference, whereas a bad one can make things worse.

Also, as silly as it might sound, Yoga seriously helps in many back and spine injuries. Don't disregard it - go out and find a class that focuses on strength and control - it'll help greatly.

I would agree with the above.
I hurt my back while in the Military, the most help I could get from the .Mil Dr's was Motrin. When the VA saw me it wasn't hurting at the time of my physical, they told me to come back when it hurt.
A local Chiropractor had me fixed in 4 weeks and although I occasionally need to see her again, it's 100% better than it was.

Hmac
12-28-15, 19:48
Stay away from chiropractors unless you're sure it's not a ruptured disk, which it probably is. CT is of no help. Diagnosis requires an MRI.

Hmac
12-28-15, 19:53
If you ruptured a disc, there is nothing that will fix it except surgery. If you've hearniated one, there are a lot of things (Physical Therapy helped me) to do...

Be careful about a chiropractor, he made mine MUCH worse...

Ruptured disk and herniated disk are the same thing, treated the same way.

I agree about the chiropractor. OP should see a real doctor first. All the flashing lights and magnet therapy in the world aren't going to make this better.

BIGUGLY
12-28-15, 20:30
I have a bad L5/S1 disc that moves back and forth. Thanks to a duty belt and being stuck in vehicles a lot. The last time it got really bad I eventually had an epidural to put a steroid right on the nerve. This helped quite a bit. I think you are allowed to do this about 3 times a year. It is done with a live x-ray to get the medicine exactly where it needs to go. I also switched my bed to a sleep number , this has helped a lot. Stretching and some core exercises are what keeps my problems at bay. I get a painful reminder if I get lazy with the stretching

Bubba FAL
12-28-15, 20:35
OP - trust me when I say I feel your pain. I have been dealing with the slow deterioration of my L1-S1 discs for 15 years now(Degenerative Disc Disease). It sucks! I have had as many as 5 herniated discs at one time. For the record, a herniated disc is not the same as a ruptured disc and treatment is not the same. With the right meds (i.e. muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories) a herniated disc will likely return to normal once things settle down enough to let everything move back into the proper position. Having a Chiropractor attempt to manipulate your back if you have herniated discs can result in ruptured discs if they are not extremely careful. Once ruptured, a disc is pretty well shot.

Anyway, the best thing to do once everything gets back into position is PT. Strengthening the core muscles are about the only hope. This greatly reduces the frequency of "slippage". My first Ortho doc advised me to stay as active as possible and warned against going sedentary as this would pretty well guarantee constant problems.

Surgery is pretty much in the cards for me at some point, but I have been so far able to avoid it. Oh, by the way, as someone else mentioned - a TENS unit can be your best friend once muscles are spasming.

Bubba FAL
12-28-15, 20:57
I have a bad L5/S1 disc that moves back and forth. Thanks to a duty belt and being stuck in vehicles a lot. The last time it got really bad I eventually had an epidural to put a steroid right on the nerve. This helped quite a bit. I think you are allowed to do this about 3 times a year. It is done with a live x-ray to get the medicine exactly where it needs to go. I also switched my bed to a sleep number , this has helped a lot. Stretching and some core exercises are what keeps my problems at bay. I get a painful reminder if I get lazy with the stretching

I've had 3 or 4 rounds of the shots over the years. They do seem to work for a while. Beats having what feels like electric shocks going down your legs or randomly feeling like someone's jabbing needles into the bottom of your foot. Definitely better than having discs fused. I've been told that the body can develop a tolerance to the meds that they use, though. Not to sound too calloused, but one learns to live with constant pain without meds, my back always hurts - it's just a matter of degree or if I can stand up straight from one day to the next.

Brahmzy
12-28-15, 23:03
Sorry to hear it OP. I've got a herniated L5/S1. NOT the same as a rupture.
Do your stretches. Don't be lazy. Get an MRI to know (and see) exactly what you're dealing with. It helps to see with your own eyes the mechanics of what's happening in YOUR back. It will explain a lot.
Be very very careful about Chiros. Technically they can do very little with a herniation except 'work around it.' That's if they know what they're doing. Best to see a GOOD PT a with specific experience in disc herniations. They will show you the good exercises and most offer 'needling' and can really push you and stretch you in ways you cannot.
Eventually you'll find your limits/balance of exercise/pain and come to a much happier place. Keeping your core strong is the absolute key. I can no longer plank for 2-3 minutes, but I'm able to do sets of 25-30 push-ups at a time and do at least one a day. That's keeps the back happy along with some stretches.
Sad reality is, you'll never be the same, never lift as much, never be able to stand as long, never be able to road trip as long, but you get used to it. Just don't get lazy and eat more. Keep the weight off and do your exercises and stretches, lol.

Hmac
12-29-15, 06:48
Disc herniation is the same thing as rupture. The annular ligament between the vertebrae tears (ruptures) from trauma, age, etc and the nucleus pulposus (the cushion between vertebrae) herniates/bulges into the spinal canal. The pain that the OP feels is that bulging/herniated/ruptured disc pushing on the nerve root and causing inflammation and pain. Possible treatments include:

--pain medication and anti-inflammatories and wait for the inflammation to subside. If it's a small rupture/herniation then that may happen sooner.
--above plus oral steroids to more vigorously control the inflammation
--epidural steroid injection directly into the canal for even better control of the inflammation
--micro-discectomy - cutting away the bulging nucleus pulposus thus relieving the pressure on the nerve root
--laminectomy - where some of the bone surrounding the foramen where the nerve root goes through is cut away (might be necessary if arthritis has narrowed that foramen)
--laminectomy with fusion - where the bone that has to be removed results in some vertebral instability and the vertebra has to be fused to the ones above and below it

Physical therapy might be helpful in strengthening the spine's supporting muscles making a person better able resist unequal loading across vertebral surface, which is a contributing factor in causing the herniation/rupture in the first place.

Laminectomy used to be pretty common but more recent evidence indicates that non-surgical treatment tends to have about the same outcomes as surgical treatment without creating the additional problems that a fusion can cause. Micro-discectomy is a fairly recent development. It's very effective but is only applicable in cases where there is no, or at least minimal, boney intrusion from arthritis/spurring into the canal from arthritis or other vertebral anatomic abnormalities. If the pain is manageable, the natural tendency is for the herniated/ruptured/bulging nucleus pulposus to dessicate (dry up) and shrink, thus relieving some of most of the problem as the nerve root pressure then subsides from the shrinking disc. That might not happen if it's a large herniation/rupture and discectomy with possible fusion might be necessary, especially if the nerve root compression is causing unrelenting pain, or some kind of motor dysfunction to the muscles of that particular nerve root's distribution.

Note that nowhere in the above treatment scenarios does chiropractic have a role. OP needs to see a doctor and get an MRI to try to ascertain the cause of his particular problem. The only treatment more useless than chiropractic in this situation is advice on an internet firearms forum.

Crow Hunter
12-29-15, 07:22
Disc herniation is the same thing as rupture. The annular ligament between the vertebrae tears (ruptures) from trauma, age, etc and the nucleus pulposus (the cushion between vertebrae) herniates/bulges into the spinal canal. The pain that the OP feels is that bulging/herniated/ruptured disc pushing on the nerve root and causing inflammation and pain. Possible treatments include

--pain medication and anti-inflammatories and wait for the inflammation to subside. If it's a small rupture/herniation then that may happen sooner.
--epidural steroid injection directly into the canal for even better control of the inflammation
--micro-discectomy - cutting away the bulging nucleus pulposus thus relieving the pressure on the nerve root
--laminectomy - where some of the bone surrounding the foramen where the nerve root goes through is cut away (might be necessary if arthritis has narrowed that foramen)
--laminectomy with fusion - where the bone that has to be removed results in some vertebral instability and the vertebra has to be fused to the ones above and below it

Physical therapy might be helpful in strengthening the spine's supporting muscles making a person better able resist unequal loading across vertebral surface, which is a contributing factor in causing the herniation/rupture in the first place.

Laminectomy used to be pretty common but more recent evidence indicates that non-surgical treatment tends to have about the same outcomes as surgical treatment without creating the additional problems that a fusion can cause. Micro-discectomy is a fairly recent development. It's very effective but is only applicable in cases where there is no boney intrusion into the canal from arthritis or other vertebral anatomic abnormalities. If the pain is manageable, the natural tendency is for the herniated/ruptured/bulging nucleus pulposus to dessicate (dry up) and shrink, thus relieving some of most of the problem as the nerve root pressure then subsides from the shrinking disc. That might not happen if it's a large herniation/rupture and discectomy with possible fusion might be necessary, especially if the nerve root compression is causing unrelenting pain, or some kind of motor dysfunction to the muscles of that particular nerve root compression.

Note that nowhere in the above treatment scenarios does chiropractic have a role. OP needs to see a doctor and get an MRI to try to ascertain the cause of his particular problem. The only treatment more useless than chiropractic in this situation is advice on an internet firearms forum.

I am not a doctor, like Hmac is, but I have been through this. I had a ruptured L5 (IIRC) disc and my creamy filling was pushing on my sciatic nerve. I could not walk because it was literally restricting the movement of that nerve such that I could not move my right foot more than a few inches forward of my standing position on top of being in excruciating pain.

However, I had an excellent doctor who, though a excellent surgeon by all accounts, didn't recommend surgery. He only recommends surgery if there is no way to control it by other means because many times the surgery will result in scarring that can have the same problem as the bulging disc. Since my company has a generous FMLA policy, he recommended that I go to PT and have steroid injections. The steroid injection caused a blister to form in my right eye (central serous retinopathy) but between that and the PT, I no longer have any pain and I can walk with a normal gait. However, I still can't extend my right leg as far forward as I can my left, although every year it gets better (as I assume my creamy filling dries up.)

I agree with Hmac. Find a really good doctor, do a MRI, let them see exactly what is impinging on what and where and let them evaluate. If you live anywhere near West TN PM me and I will give you my doctors name.

Hope you get to feeling better, I know where you are coming from. Mine was so bad I couldn't even stand long enough to shave. My buddy from work came to see me and said I looked like a homeless guy. I couldn't drive a car because I couldn't lift my right leg up enough to press the brakes. I could only shuffle when I walked. I was miserable.

Apricotshot
12-29-15, 07:24
I also have a herniated disk in my L4/L5. I've learned that its important to have a good bed and stretch to ward off the dreaded sciatic pain that will come out of nowhere it seems.

skydivr
12-29-15, 12:35
Ruptured disk and herniated disk are the same thing, treated the same way.

I agree about the chiropractor. OP should see a real doctor first. All the flashing lights and magnet therapy in the world aren't going to make this better.

Disc herniation is the same thing as rupture. The annular ligament between the vertebrae tears (ruptures) from trauma, age, etc and the nucleus pulposus (the cushion between vertebrae) herniates/bulges into the spinal canal. The pain that the OP feels is that bulging/herniated/ruptured disc pushing on the nerve root and causing inflammation and pain. Possible treatments include:

Laminectomy used to be pretty common but more recent evidence indicates that non-surgical treatment tends to have about the same outcomes as surgical treatment without creating the additional problems that a fusion can cause. Micro-discectomy is a fairly recent development. It's very effective but is only applicable in cases where there is no, or at least minimal, boney intrusion from arthritis/spurring into the canal from arthritis or other vertebral anatomic abnormalities. If the pain is manageable, the natural tendency is for the herniated/ruptured/bulging nucleus pulposus to dessicate (dry up) and shrink, thus relieving some of most of the problem as the nerve root pressure then subsides from the shrinking disc. That might not happen if it's a large herniation/rupture and discectomy with possible fusion might be necessary, especially if the nerve root compression is causing unrelenting pain, or some kind of motor dysfunction to the muscles of that particular nerve root's distribution.

Not doubting you, but as explained to me by my surgeon when I had my lumbar laminectomy (1n 1995), a Herniation meant that disc (hereinafter described as a "doughnut") had a protrusion that was pressing upon the nerve, causing the pain - and that could be treated (drugs, PT, etc.). But a rupture meant that 'jelly doughnut" had "burst" and the "filling" was now outside it's protective shell (the doughnut) - and that nothing but surgery would scoop out the 'jelly' and sew (seal) the "doughnut" so it didn't press against the nerve anymore...

I am not a doctor, I am just sharing my personal experience and encourage the OP to seek same.

skydivr
12-29-15, 12:39
P.S. About a decade later, one day busting firewood, I picked up a log I shouldn't have...I went 30 days were I was in intense pain again - and thought I'd done it again. When I saw my doctor, I told him to find me a surgeon who would only operate as a LAST resort. The surgeon I saw give me an epidural (a story in itself), and 6 weeks of Physical Therapy, and told me if that didn't help then surgery would be next. That Physical Therapist was a Sadist at heart; He would stick his elbow into my ass cheek and grind on it until I screamed in the office - but believe it or not, 6 weeks later I was better than I was before picking up that log...I am lucky and grateful.

sadmin
12-29-15, 12:53
Yea, Im just interested in others experiences and their take on personal maintenance. Its not like I scheduled a Chiro appt. followed by a grease down at a shiatsu specialist on you gents' word. I did have the CT initially because my PCP (D.O) didn't know exactly what the issue was and because I had such radiating pain into my groin, wanted to make sure it wasnt something else. If it tells you how random the conclusion was, after the CT he referred me to a Urologist for a lovely DRS. Glad to know my walnut is healthy. Post that rodeo, at the F/U, he didnt even have a MRI ordered, just told me I injured that lower spinal region and to keep taking anti-inflammatory meds, pain meds, and stretch. Offered the PT but its not so bad I was willing to shell out the money. I dont do pain meds so as noted, it gradually went away. Quit lifting for a couple months and tried various yoga poses, planking, other core centric exercises.

I stretched for 30 min last night and will continue to do so for this week, if it doesnt subside I will seek a referral to someone who is a little more versed in this type of care. My PCP slaps my back and tells me im healthy at my physicals. Its a little frightening honestly. Thanks for the words and I hope whatever route others take fixes their problem.

It just showed up again a few days ago, the sciatica that is. Only on the left side.

Hmac
12-29-15, 13:19
Not doubting you, but as explained to me by my surgeon when I had my lumbar laminectomy (1n 1995), a Herniation meant that disc (hereinafter described as a "doughnut") had a protrusion that was pressing upon the nerve, causing the pain - and that could be treated (drugs, PT, etc.). But a rupture meant that 'jelly doughnut" had "burst" and the "filling" was now outside it's protective shell (the doughnut) - and that nothing but surgery would scoop out the 'jelly' and sew (seal) the "doughnut" so it didn't press against the nerve anymore...

I am not a doctor, I am just sharing my personal experience and encourage the OP to seek same.

The protrusion is the "jelly doughnut" (AKA nucleus pulposus). It protrudes only when the "doughnut" (AKA annulus fibrosis) ruptures, allowing the nucleus pulposus to protrude and irritate the nerve root. The annulus itself doesn't "slip", or in any way contribute to the nerve root compression. It's the "jelly doughnut" that doing all the nerve root compression.

I don't know what your surgeon was saying or what you were hearing back in 1995. Today, disc herniation, disk protrusion, disc rupture, disc bulging......all the same thing.

ETA: Here..

http://www.mayoclinic.org/~/media/kcms/gbs/patient%20consumer/images/2013/11/15/17/37/ds00893_my00673_im01274_mcdc7_herniated_diskthu_jpg.jpg

Abraham
12-29-15, 15:26
I've had the L4/L5 problems and I think (it's been years) S1, perhaps S2 problems with a herniated disc.

My neurosurgeon performed a discectomy and a laminectomy. Pain relief was immediate. Prior to surgery, I couldn't take a step without screaming.

Prior to surgery p.t. was tried and other modalities, like two epidural steroid injections directly into the canal. The first provided a bit of relief, the second, none.

Surgery came next and I'm so glad as I had a great doctor.

skydivr
12-29-15, 17:34
The protrusion is the "jelly doughnut" (AKA nucleus pulposus). It protrudes only when the "doughnut" (AKA annulus fibrosis) ruptures, allowing the nucleus pulposus to protrude and irritate the nerve root. The annulus itself doesn't "slip", or in any way contribute to the nerve root compression. It's the "jelly doughnut" that doing all the nerve root compression.

I don't know what your surgeon was saying or what you were hearing back in 1995. Today, disc herniation, disk protrusion, disc rupture, disc bulging......all the same thing.

ETA: Here..

http://www.mayoclinic.org/~/media/kcms/gbs/patient%20consumer/images/2013/11/15/17/37/ds00893_my00673_im01274_mcdc7_herniated_diskthu_jpg.jpg

I again defer as you are obviously more knowledgeable than I in this subject. Again, I'm only repeating what I heard which may or may not be correct...bottom line is the OP needs to continue to see qualified medical attention.

Hmac
12-29-15, 18:42
I again defer as you are obviously more knowledgeable than I in this subject. Again, I'm only repeating what I heard which may or may not be correct...bottom line is the OP needs to continue to see qualified medical attention.

It's a complicated landscape with lots of evolution over the last couple of decades. Yes, the OP almost certainly has herniated a disk and should see somebody (qualified) about that.

26 Inf
12-29-15, 19:50

I wanted to be a doctor once, the aptitude testing they did way back then seemed to indicate I wouldn't be wasting my time, what convinced me otherwise was listening to the doctor my mother worked for talk shop. The words he spoke were in the same language as 'annulus' and 'pulposus' and it dawned on me that it had taken me three years of high school Spanish to learn to say 'Hola, Dona Margita, que tal?' and I still didn't know what it meant.

I joined the Marines.

ETA - C4 and C5 damaged in a water skiing mishap over a decade ago. Two epidurals, didn't need the third, still ticking away.

scooter22
12-29-15, 21:41
I would stay far away from a chiropractor.

Go see a PT.

Campbell
12-30-15, 05:04

As I had a micro dis. about four years ago, I studied a lot, multiple opinions...Hmac listed exactly what I found to be current in the field...I fell 45 feet onto concrete 2 weeks before I left for boot camp. It didn't even knock the breath out of me, and I thought I was superman! Well the only thing "super" was how long "psychotic" nerve pain could keep me from sleeping...hang in there.

I think you should skip the chiro, there is real potential for further damage, depending on your injury...Find a good surgeon, and understand that any back surgery is serious business, and don't expect him to make you 18/superman again, not going to happen my friend, but it can improve your pain and quality of life... Best of luck.

skydivr
12-30-15, 15:38
Oh, while on the subject: I fell about 2 months ago, and Fractured two Vertebrae (the 'wing' snapped off like a chicken bone). Had a CT which shows them clearly. My Surgeon looked at them and said kids fall on the playground and do this, and find out about it 30 years later. he said they will either connect and reheal, or won't and the muscle will just encapsulate it....and sent me home.

All I know is when I saw it on the CT, I was like "Holy Shit"...

jpmuscle
12-30-15, 15:46
Oh, while on the subject: I fell about 2 months ago, and Fractured two Vertebrae (the 'wing' snapped off like a chicken bone). Had a CT which shows them clearly. My Surgeon looked at them and said kids fall on the playground and do this, and find out about it 30 years later. he said they will either connect and reheal, or won't and the muscle will just encapsulate it....and sent me home.

I bet that felt awesome when it happened.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hmac
12-30-15, 17:21

Vertebral fractures are painful like any broken bone, but generally only dangerous if fracture fragments protrude into the spinal canal where the spinal cord and nerve roots are. That doesn't happen if it's just a fracture of a transverse process (AKA "wing"). Such fracture don't contribute to any instability of the spine. They just hurt like a bitch.