PDA

View Full Version : Recommend 2 pistols; big and small

gunnut12
12-28-15, 19:21
I'm currently pistol less. Looking to get two. One will be designated for concealed carry. I'm thinking something small (no bigger than a xds) but not too small and no smaller than 9mm. I had a M&P compact (wanted one gun to do it all) for a while and it was a good all around gun but it was a little big for my tastes for concealed carry. I'm leaning towards a 9mm shield. Cheap, reliable, small, and gets the job done.

The second one will be a range/possibly home defense. Preferably cheap to feed. All steel would be preferred but it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm leaning towards a cz75 or maybe even a FN 9... I've always wanted a sa/da gun but striker fired or sao is also an option, just no dao.

I'd like to keep it at around 1200 for the pair. That's not set in stone but don't want to go much over. Just looking for opinions.

Averageman
12-28-15, 19:58
Not all steel, but when I was looking at this I went with a G17 and a G26. That will fit the budget and leave you money for mags and ammo.

gunnut12
12-28-15, 20:06
hows the g26 conceal? I shot one and liked it but I'm hesitant to go with a double stack because of the grip width.

Averageman
12-28-15, 20:15
I don't have an issue with it, but I am guessing it depends on your build.
I find it comfortable for all day carry, the only time it gets in the way is when I get in to or out of my Mustang.

crusader377
12-28-15, 20:16
I think there are dozens of good combinations that would suit your needs. If however you want to stay with a particular manufacturer and platform, I would look at the following in no particular order:

S&W M&P 9 full size/ M&P shield 9mm

Glock 17 or 19 with a Glock 43

FNS-9 with FNS-9 compact

Walther PPQ/P99 with Walther PPS

Sig P320 (I don't know much about this pistol but it is a modular handgun that you can adjust frame size and slide length)

All of these options should keep you under $1200.

For an all steel gun I would look at a Beretta 92 or CZ75 and pick up a single stack M&P shield or Glock 43.

yoni
12-28-15, 20:42
I have carried full sized pistols all over the world and have never seen the need to go to a real small pistol.

I am really looking at CZ P09 and P07, next trip back to the USA I just might pick up one of each.

Part of what life has taught me is that economics of reloads can matter. Meaning how many rounds do you have to shoot before you need to reload. I know for me what moved me from a 1911 was a Pali with a hatchet at bad breath distance and I had just emptied my 1911 45 Acp into him and he wasn't even thinking about slowing down. Try to do a reload while keeping from wearing a hatchet in your brain.

mx5rcr
12-28-15, 20:57
Beretta 92 and Sig 239 or Glock 26. I like TDA better than striker fired.

mdoan300
12-28-15, 20:58
HK P30 9mm and SW Shield 9mm.

KCBRUIN
12-28-15, 21:00
Sig P320 with a subcompact exchange kit. It's not all steel but you get a full size gun and a subcompact with literally the same trigger.

titsonritz
12-28-15, 21:05
Glock 19 and Glock 26 is how I roll. Compact double stacks conceal fine unless you wear tight girly clothes.

MAUSER202
12-28-15, 21:06
A Walther PPQ and a PPS would be my first choices, second would be would be a Sig P226 and a P239 DA/SA with de-cocker . The Walthers you could get new in your budget the Sig would have to be used to stay in budget.

Glock is an option too, I just don't like how they fit my hand so I am not familiar with the models

Vandal
12-28-15, 21:08
Glock 17 and 26 or Sig P320 Full Size and Sub Compact. I lean to the Sigs.

jwinch2
12-28-15, 22:28
I'm currently pistol less. Looking to get two. One will be designated for concealed carry. I'm thinking something small (no bigger than a xds) but not too small and no smaller than 9mm. I had a M&P compact (wanted one gun to do it all) for a while and it was a good all around gun but it was a little big for my tastes for concealed carry. I'm leaning towards a 9mm shield. Cheap, reliable, small, and gets the job done.

The second one will be a range/possibly home defense. Preferably cheap to feed. All steel would be preferred but it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm leaning towards a cz75 or maybe even a FN 9... I've always wanted a sa/da gun but striker fired or sao is also an option, just no dao.

I'd like to keep it at around 1200 for the pair. That's not set in stone but don't want to go much over. Just looking for opinions.

If you like CZ's and all metal guns, take a look at the SP01 Tactical and the P01 compact. The SP01 is probably more expensive than what you are looking for, but it might be worth a look nonetheless.

teutonicpolymer
12-29-15, 02:06
Some options I would consider in your position:
Small
-Shield 9mm
-Glock 43 although I personally don't like it
-PPS M2 when it comes out, I don't like the current PPS
-Springfield EMP 9mm even though it is probably outside of your budget and I foresee many naysayers on here, I like it a lot and in the limited time I had with one it worked flawlessly in all aspects

Big
-CZ P-09
-CZ SP-01 Shadow series
-SIG P320
-SIG P226
-Glock 17/34/MOS versions of each
-Walther PPQ
-Walther P99
-IWI Jericho 941

Of the big ones, the P-09, P320, or Walthers would be my choice. The CZ steel frames are outclassed by the P-09/P-07 in my opinion. The 941 is included mainly because it is a CZ clone that is all steel and from the ones I have seen they tend to have slightly better triggers out of the box than the steel frame non-shadow series CZ's. I think there are better options than Glocks. I didn't include the VP9 because I feel the P320 and PPQ are similar but better in some aspects, and likewise with S&W M&P's with the Glocks. A decent Beretta obliterates your budget so I didn't include one.

Pilot1
12-29-15, 07:08
I have five CZ pistols, and many other by Beretta, HK, Ruger, etc but I have the most from CZ, and have been very happy with them. For the larger pistol as others have said a 75B, SP-01 etc would be my choice. I prefer the ergos, grips, general feel of the all metal CZ pistols whether they be all steel or the aluminum alloy framed guns like the PCR or P-01 which I also own.

For the small pistol any of the single stack 9MM's will suffice, but I would lean towards the PPS. FWIW, I carry a single stack Polish P-83 in 9x18 IWB, appendix carry, and it disappears. I forget I have it on.

MegademiC
12-29-15, 07:28
Do you own any other pistols?

I'd recommend a g19 for a main do it all gun, and a shield or g43 for deep concealment/dress clothes. Maybe a pps if you find a great deal.

If your getting into shooting, you need a lot of mags and support gear and there is plenty for all the above. Then buy a few cases of 9mm and get to work. You can also budget in a wml like a tlr1 or x300ultra, some ameriglo or trijicon sights, and a stack of targets, maybe some steel if you have a place you can shoot steel at.

yoni
12-29-15, 07:40
I want to ask a question do we really think if we are in dress clothes or shorts, the gun fight will be any different than if we are in jeans?

Small guns are harder to shoot, harder to reload, and carry less ammo.

Yes I know about the rule of 3 for gun fights in the USA 3 feet, 3 seconds, 3 shots are the average.

But what if your gun fight isn't average?

I have carried a full sized pistol concealed in the ME, Africa, and the USA. I have carried in places where if you are made it isn't an embarrassment or a ticket, it is slow death.

I carried either a Hi Power, Glock 17 or CZ 75 and I never got made.

If you go down to a small pistol because you think the odds are so small that you will need a pistol, it fine to carry a small pistol. Then I say don't even carry a pistol, it is much more comfortable.

krm375
12-29-15, 07:53
For 1200, if you find a store with some nice gen 3 used guns you may be able to find 3 Glocks for pretty close to that. The Glock Family is hard to beat. 17, 19, 26 with the Glock 17 mags working in the the 19 and 26. saves money on getting extra mags that are not interchangeable. The 43 works great for a deep concealment weapon as well.

civiliansheepdog
12-29-15, 09:39
Shield 9mm and Glock 17/19

Watrdawg
12-29-15, 09:52
Using your criteria I'd go with either a G17/43 combo or a G19/43 combo. I'm carrying a G19 with an extra mag most everyday. Even during the summer and I have no issues. I have a G43 but I haven't had time to thoroughly vet it yet. If I were to carry the 43 I'd also have to carry at least another mag to equal the number of rounds as one mag for my G19. At this point the 43 may end up in my wife's purse. She likes it and shoots it fairly well. We will see what happens with it

gtmtnbiker98
12-29-15, 09:54
HK VP9 and a Walther PPS.

colt933
12-29-15, 10:05
G17 for duty and one of the great little Kahrs for concealment.

Wake27
12-29-15, 10:17
Another vote for the G17/19 and G26. About as functional of a pair as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yrch21
12-29-15, 11:14
Button - G19 & PPS M2 (check Walther's FaceBook page for video)
Paddle - VP9 & PPS (dirt cheap right now)

nova3930
12-29-15, 11:41
I recently reworked my setup.

P320FS for home
P320 compact with a subcompact frame for CCW. Also plan on adding a carry frame to give another 17rd complement to the FS.

uffdaphil
12-29-15, 12:45
If only two I would want interchangeable mags. Hence G19/26 or G21/30.

Averageman
12-29-15, 13:50
If only two I would want interchangeable mags. Hence G19/26 or G21/30.

I have four G19 mags with the sleeve/finger thing on them for carry, they've been great, but I've heard of issues with the G17 mags used the same way.
There are just too many neat things available for the Glock's, you can modify them anyway you like.
If I buy another (I now have two G17's and one G26, all 3rd Gen) it will be a G19 with an RMR, once I shot my G17 with an RMR I became a big believer in red dots on pistols.

MegademiC
12-29-15, 15:53
I want to ask a question do we really think if we are in dress clothes or shorts, the gun fight will be any different than if we are in jeans?

Small guns are harder to shoot, harder to reload, and carry less ammo.

Yes I know about the rule of 3 for gun fights in the USA 3 feet, 3 seconds, 3 shots are the average.

But what if your gun fight isn't average?

I have carried a full sized pistol concealed in the ME, Africa, and the USA. I have carried in places where if you are made it isn't an embarrassment or a ticket, it is slow death.

I carried either a Hi Power, Glock 17 or CZ 75 and I never got made.

If you go down to a small pistol because you think the odds are so small that you will need a pistol, it fine to carry a small pistol. Then I say don't even carry a pistol, it is much more comfortable.

Can you show a picture of a concealed g17 with fitted dress clothes, no jacket? Also show holster, I'd love to be able to hide a fs gun in such attire.

And sure, fs is better, but saying 8 accurate shots, might as well leave it at home? You have got to be kidding me, we're not talking about a 25ACP here.

POB
12-29-15, 16:04
Can you show a picture of a concealed g17 with fitted dress clothes, no jacket? Also show holster, I'd love to be able to hide a fs gun in such attire.

And sure, fs is better, but saying 8 accurate shots, might as well leave it at home? You have got to be kidding me, we're not talking about a 25ACP here.

And this is why my guns come in three sizes, small, medium and large. Heck I even have extra large.

okie john
12-29-15, 16:13
Hard to go wrong with a 9mm Glock.

Size depends on your definition. Large could be a G17 or a G19. Small could be a G19, G26, or G43. Pick one from each group (or just get two G19s) and hit the range.

Good training and running a boatload of ammo through each of them is more important that what guns you choose.

Okie John

yoni
12-29-15, 18:25

I can't right now since I have no pistol where I am currently. I carried the pistol IWB, at about 1 oclock with a fairly steep angle. I carried it under suit coats and at other times under t shirts.

I will take photos as soon as I can.

tb-av
12-29-15, 19:56
VP9
PPS
2 Holsters and a couple tacos
That's doable for 1200

Auto-X Fil
12-29-15, 20:41
PPS for the compact, hands-down.

PPQ or VP9 for the big one. Flip a coin.

Auto-X Fil
12-29-15, 20:44
VP9
PPS
2 Holsters and a couple tacos
That's doable for 1200

Easily.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=M700009-A5

http://grabagun.com/walther-pps-qa-9mm-3-2-bl-1-7rd.html

MegademiC
12-29-15, 20:46
I can't right now since I have no pistol where I am currently. I carried the pistol IWB, at about 1 oclock with a fairly steep angle. I carried it under suit coats and at other times under t shirts.

I will take photos as soon as I can.

Have you ever carried under a fitted, slim fit button up, tucked into slim fit slacks, no pleats, with a dress belt? Glock 17, no print while moving?

I'd like to carry wearing that, and a single stack 9 subcompact is the only way I can right now.

Fwiw, I wear fitted t shirts and hide a full sized gun no problem. I carry the shield about 10 times per year, but it's definately worth having when you need it, imo.

crazynova
12-29-15, 22:40
I'm a fan of keeping a consistent platform, owning an M&P9, M&P9C, and 9mm Shield. All three have the same sights and triggers. It makes training and building muscle memory more consistent for me.

With that said, I recently switched my work gun to a VP9, and still carry the Shield for CCW. If HK ever gets around to making a VP9 style Shield competitor (doubtful) I'll consider switching.

Savior 6
12-29-15, 23:02
Glock 19 and a Glock 19. It's about the perfect size/fire power for CC.

Actually all the mentioned combos (G17/19: G19/G26; SW M&P9/9C) would fit your parameters. It allows for the smaller carry to be backed up by larger capacity mags which could be considered a big plus.

But if all else fails, at least get one G19 for GP.

snowdog650
12-29-15, 23:16
Glock 19 and a Glock 19. It's about the perfect size/fire power for CC.

Actually all the mentioned combos (G17/19: G19/G26; SW M&P9/9C) would fit your parameters. It allows for the smaller carry to be backed up by larger capacity mags which could be considered a big plus.

But if all else fails, at least get one G19 for GP.

I agree with this. It depends on how small you need to go. Either G17/G19 or G19/G26.

yoni
12-30-15, 01:01
I am too big for fitted shirts, they are too tight in the arms, shoulders and across the upper back.

I think all my dress pants are pleated.

Someone once said dress for you and you pistol, not just you and then add a pistol.

Beat Trash
12-30-15, 09:09
With the proper holster and a good belt to support the weight, you would be surprised how easy it is to conceal a gun like the Glock 19. It is a very rare occasion in which I can not and must go to one of the small single stack guns. For me, the Shield is as small as I will go. My wife owns a Glock 43, which is a god pistol mechanically, but it is just too small for my hands. For her smaller hands, it's perfect.

I used to own a Walther PPS, but sold it when I bought my first Shield in 2012. That Walther is one of the few guns that I have sold off and regret doing so.

I would go with a Glock 19, an HK VP9 or a Sig 320c for your carry gun.

For a subcompact gun, I would go with a M&P Shield, a Glock 43, or a Walther PPS.

The concept of a combo that can use the same spare magazines, like a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 has merit. But I personally find that I can conceal my Glock 19 as well as a Glock 26, so the Glock 26 would be left at home in place of the Glock 19.

Either way, stay 9mm.

jsbcody
12-30-15, 09:32
I have been telling new CCWers to try shooting a Glock 19 (making sure they like it and shoot it well enough). I also tell them to get a small pistol that they can carry EVERYWHERE such as a jframe revolver or Glock 42/43.

Firefly
12-30-15, 11:39
Me? Glock 21 and Glock 32

HCrum87hc
12-30-15, 12:02
I personally own a Walther PPS and PPQ. I particularly like this combo because of the paddle mag releases. I've grown very fond of these and am glad to have the consistency between my carry piece and my HD piece.

Drifting Fate
12-30-15, 20:55
When a person doesn't know what pistol to buy, buy a Glock 19. You can't go wrong. It might not be the end-all, be-all for you, but it's going to work for you and serve you well.

For a small gun, I favor a lightweight/aluminum framed Smith & Wesson J-frame revolver in .38 special. I realize this creates a potential problem of two different calibers. If that's an issue, I would go with a S&W Shield or Glock 43 - but try both if possible, as very impressive people in the industry have come out in favor on each side. It's almost becoming a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

SDSwoll
12-30-15, 22:00
Whichever you choose I would highly recommend both handguns be from the same family (Glock, Smith etc.) mainly for continuity of training and other reasons already discussed. I personally am another vote for the Glock 17/19 & 26 combo (I carry a 22 at work with a 27 as backup due to the magazine compatability). Another cost factor to consider is since defensive use is in mind both would need to be equipped with night sights and ideally some kind of wml for the home weapon. Additionally most holsters for the 17/19 also would fit a 26 so you could potentially save some money there.

If you are dead set on an all steel weapon, when we carried Sig P229s we tested P224s when they were released and found that the 224s would take the 229 magazines. We carry .40, so I cannot speak to the same being true for other caliber variants.

nick84
12-30-15, 22:45
Lots of good advice with the idea of a family that shares mags. A couple pages ago someone recommended the P320C and grip module. I second that. I'm learning to love my 320C, but if I was looking for two guns, I'd consider getting the 320 Carry or 320 Compact and an subcompact grip module, and only switching to the short subcompact grip when absolutely necessary. Same trigger, same mags, same sights, etc... Go 9mm.

ramairthree
12-31-15, 00:36
Just get a Glock 19 or a Beretta Centurion or compact.

If you decide you want bigger get a 17 or M9A1.

If you want smaller get a 26 or a 9000.

You will share basic mag compatibility.

I don't faint the size difference of a26 to a 43 enough to consider getting a 43.

yMMV

7.62NATO
12-31-15, 08:57
Me? Glock 21 and Glock 32

357 SIG?

sawman556
12-31-15, 08:59
My main carry pistols are the G19 and G43. The 43 seems to be getting more and more carry time. I had the G26 for some time but I didn't find it any easier to carry then the 19. I also owned the Kahr P9, PPS and Sheild. All great slim carry nines but I'm a Glock guy.

RMiller
12-31-15, 09:57
I agree with many.

G19/17 with a G43 for deep concealment.

Up1911fan
12-31-15, 10:21
G19/G43 is a great, do all combo.

jwinch2
12-31-15, 10:24
+1 to the recommendations to keep things in the same "family". Having both guns work the same way is a very good idea. I chimed in earlier on the idea of CZ's if you like all metal guns. Many others have made good suggestions as well.

One thing you might consider is to find a range that has a good selection of rental pistols. That way you can try out several makes/models and see what you like and what you don't. Lots of guys are recommending Glocks (for very good reason), but to me they have never been comfortable to shoot for some reason. Until you get some rounds through them, there is no way you are going to know for sure.

charger02
12-31-15, 14:36
Personally I have tried to wrap my mind around a compact gun for concealed carry. I don't wear skinny jeans or fitted clothing (to include suits) so loose and comfortable generally drape well over my Walther PPQ. For a full size I recommend a G21. The one compact pistol I owned years ago was a Taurus PT145 and it was uncomfortable in the hand and even worse to shoot.

mig1nc
12-31-15, 14:54
Could go PPQ M1 and P99cAS for mag compatability.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

gunnut12
06-18-16, 22:25
Old thread but figured I'd update. Ended up getting a shield but have blown the rest of the money on ammo so the next gun will have to wait a bit.

I'm strongly considering a g19 with maybe a g26 to come later to fill the gap.

DirectTo
06-18-16, 22:31
Shield is a great choice, and you can't go wrong with a Glock 19.

Gotta watch the Glocks though - they multiply!

Warp
06-18-16, 22:31
Old thread but figured I'd update. Ended up getting a shield but have blown the rest of the money on ammo so the next gun will have to wait a bit.

I'm strongly considering a g19 with maybe a g26 to come later to fill the gap.

Ammo and practice/training is a great use of money...generally better than an additional firearm.

Can't go wrong with a G19, as was mentioned in this thread. Really, you can't

CPM
06-18-16, 23:34
I have a litany of pistols, but the one I carry most is my Ruger LC9S Pro. It's incredibly light, and when comparing it to the 43 holds more ammunition, is cheaper, and has an amazing trigger. I wore it with basketball shorts walking my dogs in Texas today and never noticed it.

Whenever I am doing any serious training, it's my 19. The 19 is also on my bedside table with a 17 magazine and an X300U. It really does it all.

SiGfever
06-19-16, 10:19
G19/G43.

MontanaVet
06-20-16, 12:04
Not all steel, but when I was looking at this I went with a G17 and a G26. That will fit the budget and leave you money for mags and ammo.

This and then you can use the Glock 17 mags in the Glock 26 if needed

EDIT- or a Glock 19 mix may be better depending on your use

masakari
06-20-16, 12:10
Sounds like you've already answered your question; M&P9 Shield for carry, M&P9 full-size, VTAC, CORE, or Pro for the rest.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-20-16, 18:15
Lock free 442 J frame for carry. It's what you really need.

Range gun? Too many to list. The Cz-75 is excellent and the Sp-01 is even better. You can get both within your budget.

Warp
06-20-16, 18:27
Lock free 442 J frame for carry. It's what you really need.

How do you figure

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-20-16, 23:23
I am a huge fan of the J-frame. Safe, reliable, small, lightweight. It is the kind of gun you can drop in your pocket anytime. Most gun guys are much less dedicated over time than they think. Even something as simple as clipping an IWB holster in sometimes results in them not carrying. I agree, a single stack Glock or M&P Shield (and of course the old Kahr's everybody forgot about) are better in general, if you actually carry them all the time. Even if you have a G19/P2000/M&PC whatever you should have a J-frame. They are basically too convenient not to have. And if you wear glasses a J-frame with the laser grips means you have a great low-light solution that adds zero hassle to the gun. The laser grips on the J-frame mean you have a gun, with zero added bulk that can be used in low light situations with ease (everything from restaurants, late night gas stations, movie theaters, walking the dog at night, etc). Not a cool or sexy gun, but an immensely practical one.

gunnut12
06-24-16, 17:48
Well I think I'm gonna say scew my budget and pick up another gun this weekend. I'm thinking I want to go with something not quite full size. In case anyone missed it I already picked up a shield. I'd like it to carry somewhat easily for when I want to carry something bigger than the shield and serve as a truck/nightstand/range gun as well.

Anyways, as said before I'm strongly considering a g19. LGS has one with night sites for 550 OTD new. Seems like an awesome deal however no grip or manual safety kind of has me iffy. I went that route with my shield and I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with it. I'm kind of wondering if I should just go with a M&P compact though. It is a little smaller than what I want but it is the same model line as people have recommended and I just love the the shields ergonomics. Also considering a CZ PCR though the weight is kind of turning me off.

Thoughts? Any other g19 sized guns I should be considering?

Pappabear
06-24-16, 19:11
Well I think I'm gonna say scew my budget and pick up another gun this weekend. I'm thinking I want to go with something not quite full size. In case anyone missed it I already picked up a shield. I'd like it to carry somewhat easily for when I want to carry something bigger than the shield and serve as a truck/nightstand/range gun as well.

Anyways, as said before I'm strongly considering a g19. LGS has one with night sites for 550 OTD new. Seems like an awesome deal however no grip or manual safety kind of has me iffy. I went that route with my shield and I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with it. I'm kind of wondering if I should just go with a M&P compact though. It is a little smaller than what I want but it is the same model line as people have recommended and I just love the the shields ergonomics. Also considering a CZ PCR though the weight is kind of turning me off.

Nice choice on the shield. It's my number one carry choice. And I have a few.

The HK P30 is same size as the famous G19. Both great choices. With HK you can go DA/SA with safety or LEM Light. I like both but my carry HK is LEM Light. If you go for the most reliable handgun on planet earth, you will have research their cluster fork of triggers. Could make it simple and get VP9.

Good luck.

mig1nc
06-25-16, 10:57
The PCR isn't that much heavier when loaded, and is the same height while actually being slimmer than the Glock 19 using after market grips.

m4brian
06-25-16, 12:54
Sorry folks: the p30 is NOT the same size as the G19. A better comparison is the P2000.

civiliansheepdog
06-25-16, 16:30

Sig P320

awmp
06-25-16, 16:54
Shield 9mm and Glock 19

MountainRaven
06-25-16, 17:54
Sorry folks: the p30 is NOT the same size as the G19. A better comparison is the P2000.

This is correct.

I'm not sure where people (and there's a lot more than one of them) get the idea that the VP9 and P30 are similar in size to the G19.

The VP9 is the same size as the P30L (and very close to the USP) and these pistols are closer in size to a G17. The P30 has the grip length of the G17 with a slide length closer to that of a G19 (the worst of both worlds, IMHO).

The USPc and P2000 are close to the G19 in size.

If the OP wants a G19-sized gun with a safety, I think the USPc is the gun to choose.

Benito
06-25-16, 17:58
Howdy,

Big pistol: Full-auto Desert Eagle.
Small pistol for concealed carry: Full-auto Beretta 93R

wildcard600
06-25-16, 18:54
Howdy,

Big pistol: Full-auto Desert Eagle.
Small pistol for concealed carry: Full-auto Beretta 93R

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/69071385.jpg

manderson2228
06-25-16, 19:25
Sig P320. great trigger completely modular. You can buy one gun and because you can move the trigger group you can essentially have 2 sizes.

czgunner
06-25-16, 19:27
M&P Shield and VP9

WillyB70
06-25-16, 19:55
Mine is definitely Glock 19 and Glock 43. Can't get any better.

teutonicpolymer
06-25-16, 22:04
Why do people keep listing the G19, it isn't a big gun, it is a jack of all trades compact. If the thread was "recommend one gun for someone who can only ever own one gun" it might be the G19 or perhaps even a single stack 9mm.

My votes are for the Walther PPS M2 and then whichever decent full size service pistol fits your hands (beyond simply what is comfortable, the controls and trigger should be at correct positions) because I think that is often overlooked.

Jeff S.
06-25-16, 23:38
I recently reworked my setup.

P320FS for home
P320 compact with a subcompact frame for CCW. Also plan on adding a carry frame to give another 17rd complement to the FS.

I like this route too. The P320 compact is the perfect size for me. However, for those times I want a shorter grip, I thought about getting a subcompact kit. Then I realized I could just get a subcompact grip shell and save a lot of money. Then the ultimate solution hit me: just buy a compact shell, and cut it to fit the 12rd subcompact magazine; that way it'll still fit in the same holster as the compact. If I screw it up, I'm out $32 dollars for the grip shell.

mig1nc
06-26-16, 06:57
For those that like lasers, Sig is coming out with a grip shell that has a crimson trace style grip activated laser built in so it doesn't add any bulk. It looks pretty bad ass. Check out the Lima series when you get a chance.

nova3930
06-26-16, 11:24
I like this route too. The P320 compact is the perfect size for me. However, for those times I want a shorter grip, I thought about getting a subcompact kit. Then I realized I could just get a subcompact grip shell and save a lot of money. Then the ultimate solution hit me: just buy a compact shell, and cut it to fit the 12rd subcompact magazine; that way it'll still fit in the same holster as the compact. If I screw it up, I'm out $32 dollars for the grip shell.
FYI a subcompact medium frame is railed like the compact and will fit the compact holsters perfectly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nova3930
06-26-16, 11:25
For those that like lasers, Sig is coming out with a grip shell that has a crimson trace style grip activated laser built in so it doesn't add any bulk. It looks pretty bad ass. Check out the Lima series when you get a chance.

I want one with a built in light. if they can do a laser they should be able to do a light, or even better both...

mig1nc
06-26-16, 11:28
The SSD article suggested they were looking into those options as well. But at the speed Sig moves, well God knows when they'll roll out.

Jeff S.
06-26-16, 12:28
FYI a subcompact medium frame is railed like the compact and will fit the compact holsters perfectly

Thanks for the heads up!

nova3930
06-26-16, 12:35
The SSD article suggested they were looking into those options as well. But at the speed Sig moves, well God knows when they'll roll out.

yah i know. seems like ive been waiting forever for the 320 slide set up for the romeo rds

mig1nc
06-26-16, 12:50
Yeah, an rx slide with a lima light/laser grip shell would be pure awesomeness.

On topic, you could go ahead and get a P320 now in a basic compact or sub compact configuration and swap out shells or slides later.

nova3930
06-26-16, 13:18
Yeah, an rx slide with a lima light/laser grip shell would be pure awesomeness.

On topic, you could go ahead and get a P320 now in a basic compact or sub compact configuration and swap out shells or slides later.

Already have a fs and a compact and a pile of grip frames lol

RND
06-26-16, 20:01
HK P2000 LEM a CZ 1911

Benito
06-26-16, 21:15
Howdy,

Big pistol: Beretta 93R
Small pistol: Beretta 93R

But I already used this same joke/spoof in the GD thread about which rifle and pistol you would save in a hypothetical fire.

wildcard600
06-26-16, 22:35
Howdy,

Big pistol: Beretta 93R
Small pistol: Beretta 93R

But I already used this same joke/spoof in the GD thread about which rifle and pistol you would save in a hypothetical fire.

Check post #72 in this thread, you already used it here too. B-)

MountainRaven
06-26-16, 23:11
Why do people keep listing the G19, it isn't a big gun, it is a jack of all trades compact. If the thread was "recommend one gun for someone who can only ever own one gun" it might be the G19 or perhaps even a single stack 9mm.

My votes are for the Walther PPS M2 and then whichever decent full size service pistol fits your hands (beyond simply what is comfortable, the controls and trigger should be at correct positions) because I think that is often overlooked.

I would guess that it's because people are recommending a gun to carry when not carrying a gun and a gun to otherwise normally carry concealed. With the latter gun also being large enough to be useful at the range, mount a weapon light, &c.

Davemac
06-26-16, 23:49
S&w Governor & s&w shield 9

gunnut12
06-28-16, 18:18
/////

slow10ker
06-28-16, 18:35
HK P30L and HK P30sk . Got both, love both...

Benito
06-28-16, 18:54
Check post #72 in this thread, you already used it here too. B-)

Damn it. That's embarrassing. My bad.

I guess all those tip of the spear deployments with Air Force SEAL Team Twelve really take their toll on a man's memory.

Briman1001
07-12-16, 19:09
Glock 34 and 26 and share mags.

multistage
07-14-16, 22:26
P2000sk and USP 45.

One for carry. One for war.

crazymailman
07-17-16, 22:42
I have been using a Shield and a VP9

voiceofreason
07-18-16, 04:12
G19 for EDC/home defense

Sig P238 (yes, it's a .380) for deep concealment/pocket carry/backup to the G19

better to have a .380 on your person than to leave a big gun at home- the small size is good for pocket carry, discreet belt carry- only issue is that most of them don't have an ambi safety, which sucks if you're right handed using it for backup

Dirknar
07-24-16, 21:22
HK P30L and HK P30sk . Got both, love both...

Hells ya! Over the budget of 1200 though.. Vp9 and p30sk would fit the budget!

mkg23
09-08-16, 10:41
G17 for home defense and SHTF.

G43 for EDC.

quino171
09-08-16, 19:05
G19 for EDC/home defense

Sig P238 (yes, it's a .380) for deep concealment/pocket carry/backup to the G19

better to have a .380 on your person than to leave a big gun at home- the small size is good for pocket carry, discreet belt carry- only issue is that most of them don't have an ambi safety, which sucks if you're right handed using it for backup
Love the P238. My full carry is a 1991a1 and the 238 for summer

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

DHart
09-09-16, 03:28
I have carried full sized pistols all over the world and have never seen the need to go to a real small pistol.

I am really looking at CZ P09 and P07, next trip back to the USA I just might pick up one of each.

Part of what life has taught me is that economics of reloads can matter. Meaning how many rounds do you have to shoot before you need to reload. I know for me what moved me from a 1911 was a Pali with a hatchet at bad breath distance and I had just emptied my 1911 45 Acp into him and he wasn't even thinking about slowing down. Try to do a reload while keeping from wearing a hatchet in your brain.

I fully agree with your rationale in carrying larger (rather than smaller) pistols, with greater (rather than lesser) capacity! I've been tempted by the M&P Shield a number of times, but always keep coming back to the realization that I can easily and comfortably carry an M&P40, so... Why would I want to leave that at home and carry a Shield? No reason that applies to me. (I no longer wear dress suits.)

DHart
09-09-16, 03:31
Glock 19 and Glock 26 is how I roll. Compact double stacks conceal fine unless you wear tight girly clothes.

Yes, indeed. But if you can easily carry a G26, I think you can easily carry a G19, as well, and be better off for having done so.

DHart
09-09-16, 03:48
Lots of good advice with the idea of a family that shares mags. A couple pages ago someone recommended the P320C and grip module. I second that. I'm learning to love my 320C, but if I was looking for two guns, I'd consider getting the 320 Carry or 320 Compact and an subcompact grip module, and only switching to the short subcompact grip when absolutely necessary. Same trigger, same mags, same sights, etc... Go 9mm.

The P320 system is fantastic. I would personally go with (already have) a P320 Full size .40S&W for home, RV, truck, and camp, a P320 Carry 9mm for EDC, and P320 Sub Compact frame to switch to if the Carry is too big for a particular mode of attire. For situations where dress slacks with a tucked-in dress shirt, and no jacket is required, that's about the only time where I could see stepping down in size to a Shield, P938, or PM9.

GaryXD
09-09-16, 07:16
Shield 9mm/ CZ P-09 9mm

maximus83
09-09-16, 08:48
Yes, indeed. But if you can easily carry a G26, I think you can easily carry a G19, as well, and be better off for having done so.

Yes after trying different configurations, I've arrived at the same logic. Not with these specific models, but the idea that a double-stack compact is ultimately not that much more concealable than its counterpart FS version, and harder to shoot. I previously had M&P 9 FS for full-size carry, and an M&P 9c for better concealment and lighter dress. What I found was that the 9c only gave slightly improved concealability, not enough to matter really, and it was still heavy and wide/bulky. When you were wearing dress clothes, need deep concealment as in non-permissive environments, or were doing something like running, I wanted a lighter, thinner option. What I found was that I wasn't carrying at all in these special cases, and that's not really a good thing, so it was better for me to have a Shield with a capacity of 7+1.

What I ended up with:
* M&P 9 FS as the default option
* Shield for other occasions. A note on the Shield: I just recently got mine, and had some issues with it which were resolved by great service from Apex Tactical. Because the Apex parts were installed brand new before the factory pistol was ever fired, it's unclear whether the "dead trigger" issue I had (failure to reset) was occurring with the factory parts or not. The gunsmith who fixed it said there were about 3 OEM "tolerance stacking" issues going on and those have been resolved. I will have no problem carrying the pistol now. But it's worth noting, my Shield sample of 1 was at first completely unreliable. And I've seen numerous threads about Shield users, both with and without Apex parts, having this same dead trigger issue. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, just be aware it's an issue that happens to a few Shield users. The Shield is largely reliable though, and a great single-stack pistol design. If you do get this issue with a OEM pistol, at least you can typically count on S&W service to work with you until it's resolved.

ramairthree
09-09-16, 09:47
Man does Yoni's shot placement suck.

That guy could not have weighed much more than all the 230 grains you put in him.

Open carry military or CC situation?

Some laughed at us old guys that still a weak side Randall, hatchet, etc. for our backup backup.

DHart
09-09-16, 10:45
Yes after trying different configurations, I've arrived at the same logic. Not with these specific models, but the idea that a double-stack compact is ultimately not that much more concealable than its counterpart FS version, and harder to shoot. I previously had M&P 9 FS for full-size carry, and an M&P 9c for better concealment and lighter dress. What I found was that the 9c only gave slightly improved concealability, not enough to matter really, and it was still heavy and wide/bulky. When you were wearing dress clothes, need deep concealment as in non-permissive environments, or were doing something like running, I wanted a lighter, thinner option. What I found was that I wasn't carrying at all in these special cases, and that's not really a good thing, so it was better for me to have a Shield with a capacity of 7+1.

What I ended up with:
* M&P 9 FS as the default option
* Shield for other occasions. A note on the Shield: I just recently got mine, and had some issues with it which were resolved by great service from Apex Tactical. Because the Apex parts were installed brand new before the factory pistol was ever fired, it's unclear whether the "dead trigger" issue I had (failure to reset) was occurring with the factory parts or not. The gunsmith who fixed it said there were about 3 OEM "tolerance stacking" issues going on and those have been resolved. I will have no problem carrying the pistol now. But it's worth noting, my Shield sample of 1 was at first completely unreliable. And I've seen numerous threads about Shield users, both with and without Apex parts, having this same dead trigger issue. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, just be aware it's an issue that happens to a few Shield users. The Shield is largely reliable though, and a great single-stack pistol design. If you do get this issue with a OEM pistol, at least you can typically count on S&W service to work with you until it's resolved.

Good post! I agree that it's either full size or you really MUST have something as small as a Shield, PM9, or P938. No real NEED for the in between. And the need for the latter almost never happens for me, as I don't wear suits/slacks anymore and I don't jog. Shorts and t-shirt pretty much all year around where I live and that makes it easy to conceal even a Glock 21SF.
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/P1010679.jpg (http://s397.photobucket.com/user/zmonki/media/Glocks/P1010679.jpg.html)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/P1010683.jpg (http://s397.photobucket.com/user/zmonki/media/Glocks/P1010683.jpg.html)

Pilot1
09-09-16, 11:21
For carry, I like the compact, lightweight alloy CZ-75D PCR, P-01, and RAMI. The RAMI is the smallest. You can pair them with a full size CZ-75B, SP-01, or P-09.

Scrubber3
09-09-16, 11:51
Good post! I agree that it's either full size or you really MUST have something as small as a Shield, PM9, or P938. No real NEED for the in between. And the need for the latter almost never happens for me, as I don't wear suits/slacks anymore and I don't jog. Shorts and t-shirt pretty much all year around where I live and that makes it easy to conceal even a Glock 21SF.
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/P1010679.jpg (http://s397.photobucket.com/user/zmonki/media/Glocks/P1010679.jpg.html)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/P1010683.jpg (http://s397.photobucket.com/user/zmonki/media/Glocks/P1010683.jpg.html)

Not to derail, but is that a Magpul Tejas belt?

DHart
09-09-16, 12:19
Not to derail, but is that a Magpul Tejas belt?

No. I don't recall the name of belt maker, but it is a double thickness leather gun belt, for sure! The belt really matters.

maximus83
09-09-16, 13:58
No. I don't recall the name of belt maker, but it is a double thickness leather gun belt, for sure! The belt really matters.

That almost looks like one of those Beltman belts. I have a couple of those and like them. Expensive, but worth it.

cbx
09-09-16, 14:17
I carry a 19 aiwb every day. Coveralls, jeans, pants, shorts, t shirts, button up, doesn't matter.

I want a shield or 43 to have, (mostly for running) but I always feel like that if I were ever to be in a gun fight, I'd want a lot of capacity, no matter what. With a 19, I can make solid hits most of the time at 100 yards also.

Why 100 yards you ask? Well, my thinking is that I'd want as much distance as possible between me and whatever A hole(s) trying to F up my day. Espeically if they have rifles......which may not matter for a successful outcome anyway.

As far as concealing, its very doable. It just takes a little effort to wear normal clothes. Main thing is getting the ride height low enough for me. Like Yoni, I too have a hell of a time with shirts being to small in the chest and shoulders. So my shirts are either ridiculous big, or just barely, no in between.

So almost anything prints badly for me unless I use a belt under my clothes and get the grip at wasitband height. With that method, it disapears without wearing silly baggy clothes which drive me nuts. 3:00 anything prints even worse unless I wear huge clothes or a sweater.

For me concealment is top priority.

seribralcrow
09-10-16, 22:17
After much trial and error, the G19 and G43 are a perfect compliment. I had a G26 until I got my hands on a G43. The single stack conceals so easily.