PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Review

BigJoe
12-28-15, 21:13
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=16117
FOR PICS

The market seems to be absolutely loaded with kydex holster makers these days. Your options seem to be endless with everyone trying to separate themselves from the pack for one reason or another. Recently receiving my HK45c back from Gray Guns (review to be done later), I was in the market for a new inside the waistband holster for concealed carry. Initially I actually went and looked at the G-Code Incog simply due to a few friends carrying their carry weapons in them already with no complaints. Sadly G-Code doesn’t make a Incog for a HK45c. Through a Friend I was told about Garrett Industries, who quietly seemed to be making some really nice holsters for some very serious people without attaching their label to the closest bearded internet personality. Offering a decent military discount and offering some really nice leather lined kydex options, I ordered up the Silent Thunder holster with a single mag holder for the compact HK. I received emails verifying my order, telling me when it went into production and within two weeks I had my order in hand.

Quality was evident out of the bag with clean edges, not a lot of excess kydex, and some really nice leather lining a very nicely designed holster. Slipping it on to my blade tech 1 1/2” carry belt it sat nice in appendix or 5 o’clock carry. The holsters edges are nicely sanded with no hot spots that I have found yet. The clip is movable to allow for varying cants and the holster holds the gun securely while being easy to remove and re-holster the weapon. The price was equal to many makers of straight kydex holsters without the leather lining.

The leather is laid really nicely fully covering any place the pistol may contact while in holster or being taken in and out. Being a big fan of nice leather holsters for a lot of carry, I like the combination so far with the kydex adding some rigidity and helping with re-holstering the weapon during drills.

With my experiences so far I’m very impressed and look forward to extended testing and carry with this new holster setup. With a good variety of outside the wasteband, inside and duty carry options I will be trying more holsters from Garrett Industries soon.

For more information: http://www.giholsters.com

rushca01
12-28-15, 21:36
Thanks for the review, I turned my dad onto them a few years back as he wanted a leather holster for a 1911. he wanted kydex properties which but didn't want to mar the finish which lead me to garret when I went searching for such a thing. Do you mind posting a few pics with it on your person?

BigJoe
12-28-15, 22:02
I'll take some tomorrow, no worries

TF82
12-28-15, 22:17
I checked out that review over there earlier today. Nice write up. I've had a Silent Thunder for a pretty long time. In fact, I bought it when they were still being sold through and as Tucker Gunleather. It's a cool holster and the leather to kydex bond is solid. The other good thing I can say is that in my experience Ron Garret is a very stand up guy to do business with. At one time I was looking for a quick bag to carry solution for an AR magazine and came across some pictures of a clip he had produced at one time. I emailed him to see if I could still buy one and he just sent me out some for nothing.

While the ST holster's lining does a pretty good job preventing outright kydex scratches you do still experience a little bit of that more concentrated wear due to the lack of flex, it's fairly minimal though. The only real issue is that it's not a matter of if, but when that kydex clip is going to break. Even if you follow the instructions and only remove it by sliding your belt out it will still break so it's best to keep an eye on it and have a few on hand. Every once in a while I shop around online to see if I can rig up a metal one. I've been through quite a few of them and the one I have currently is starting to show signs of getting ready to go.

BigJoe
12-28-15, 22:30
good to know, thanks

BigJoe
12-29-15, 22:34
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/29/f6fd2c2464c23af9bb9bd59ad8b09918.jpg

5 o'clock, gun currently has the 10 round mags in for bed stand duty, conceals better with the smaller mags.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/hardcharger_photos/b43aee335e022ed4ee7da3a3ec0a38a7_zpsglzc8bpi.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/hardcharger_photos/media/b43aee335e022ed4ee7da3a3ec0a38a7_zpsglzc8bpi.jpg.html)
Appendix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rushca01
12-29-15, 23:23
O

5 o'clock, gun currently has the 10 round mags in for bed stand duty, conceals better with the smaller mags.

Appendix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the additional photos, much appreciated. Stay say out there.

Best

armtx77
12-30-15, 20:19
I carry my p2000sk in the same holster. It feels like a classey version of kydex with them being leather lined. I bought a second one in lefty for carrying small of the back like a tramp stamp.