PDA

View Full Version : Plate Carrier Advice

nova3930
12-29-15, 10:48
Never had a need or want for any gear like a plate carrier until now so I'm ignorant and lost. Picked up a set of the highcom 4SAS7 shooters cut plates for a song not long ago and now I need something to put them in.

1. I'm looking for a plate carrier.
2. I'm a civilian.
3. The primary usage of this item is for classes and things that go bump in the night.
4. I'd also like to use it for idiot insurance at the public range.
5. I need it to fit/carry Highcom 4SAS7 Shooters Cut Plates 10X12.
6. I need it for this weapon. AR and P320
7. I prefer it to be made out of ???.
8. My budget for this item is $200ish.
9. I'm looking for it in these colors. prefer green or tan solid but really doesn't matter.
10. I don't care if it looks 'tactical'. Just needs to work.
11. I don't need it to be low profile/concealed etc. Would prefer slim and light weight though.
12. I have already looked at SKD STT, SKD Pig Brig, etc and I'm unsure which would work best.
13. If it's a sizing/fit question, provide your height, weight, build, waist size, inseam length - whatever sizing information is relevant to your question. I'm about 6' and 210lbs
14. If it's a comfort question, state the conditions you want to use the garment under - dry/humid/wet, hot/cold. North Alabama so hot and humid to frigid.

As said above I've been looking at the SKD stuff since they seem to be well regarded and they're having a pretty good end of year sale. Specifically I'm looking at the STT and the PIG BRIG. I'm just not sure which if either fits my needs.

The STT gets points for me for looking to be really light and easy to get on and off. The BRIG gets points for cost, modularity and scalability.

Would greatly appreciate advice from people who've actually used PCs before, since I have not....

Grizzly16
12-29-15, 11:03
AT armor has mayflower LPAC's for stupid cheap right now: http://store.appalachiantraining.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LPAC-MF They carry plates well and have fastex buckles so you can clip in various chest rigs to meet what you are using it for. I'm 6' and 205 and the large/large fits like a dream. I wore it with heavy plates steel plates for 4+ hours yesterday and my 4.8lb ceramic plates for a few hours today doing some light pt and shooting drills. It handled both very well. I'm not deeply experienced with wearing armor but I've used cheap condor, mayflower's APC, first spear Strandhagg (freakin' spelling) and my buddies pig brig. The LPAC is at least as comfortable or better than those in my opinion.

nova3930
12-29-15, 11:30
That looks like a pretty good option too....

crazynova
12-29-15, 22:51
My best friend is an active duty infantry Marine, and he raves about his Mayflower set up. With the price on that deal, that would probably be your best option.

I personally run a Crye JPC with Dyneema Level III plates. It's about as light as you can get.

Endur
12-29-15, 23:25
Check these out:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/low-vis-and-concealable/pico-rough-low-vis-carrier/ (I own this one; simply awesome for the price/weight/comfort)

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/bpc-gpc/basic-plate-carrier-bpc/ - Similar to the above but lower price range.

http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm - Essentially a more simpler version of the PIG/Strandhogg

http://www.optactical.com/blfogepl.html - Simple. Cheap.

http://www.optactical.com/vesyliweplca.html - Some modularity for SwiftClip setups. Good price.

Whichever you choose, you will be GTG. The best carriers in their price range.

jpmuscle
12-30-15, 06:10
Velocity system LWPC or scarab lite get my votes. Both are greater carriers.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

vwp6269
12-30-15, 08:20
I ordered a T.A.G (Tactical Assault Gear) the they day. Price and features seemed good along with reviews.

nova3930
12-30-15, 09:32
Check these out:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/low-vis-and-concealable/pico-rough-low-vis-carrier/ (I own this one; simply awesome for the price/weight/comfort)

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/bpc-gpc/basic-plate-carrier-bpc/ - Similar to the above but lower price range.

http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm - Essentially a more simpler version of the PIG/Strandhogg

http://www.optactical.com/blfogepl.html - Simple. Cheap.

http://www.optactical.com/vesyliweplca.html - Some modularity for SwiftClip setups. Good price.

Whichever you choose, you will be GTG. The best carriers in their price range.

A lot more good options than I thought. At least I get one recommendation for something I was already considering too lol.

The more I look the more I like the idea of the 6/12 and MolleMinus attachment. Seems like less material would be the way to go for slick and light weight. Are those systems pretty durable? Course I suppos they have to be are they wouldn't be recommended....

ETA

This is not an easy choice. I see features I like on just about all of them. Plate support and padding on the Tyr BPC, Tubes and 6/12 on the STT, and the simplicity of the shoulder straps on the Plateminus all looks like they'd be nice to have....

For the price I'd probably grab the LPAC but based on my jacket size of 46, I'd probably need an XL, which they don't have.

Grizzly16
12-30-15, 13:18
A lot more good options than I thought. At least I get one recommendation for something I was already considering too lol.

The more I look the more I like the idea of the 6/12 and MolleMinus attachment. Seems like less material would be the way to go for slick and light weight. Are those systems pretty durable? Course I suppos they have to be are they wouldn't be recommended....

ETA

This is not an easy choice. I see features I like on just about all of them. Plate support and padding on the Tyr BPC, Tubes and 6/12 on the STT, and the simplicity of the shoulder straps on the Plateminus all looks like they'd be nice to have....

For the price I'd probably grab the LPAC but based on my jacket size of 46, I'd probably need an XL, which they don't have.

If it helps I wear a 46/48 suit jacket or a xl in most soft shell style jackets and the lpac in size L fits just fine for me. Even with 1.1" thick plates in front and back. I haven't tried it with those plates and soft armor together though.

nova3930
12-30-15, 13:25
If it helps I wear a 46/48 suit jacket or a xl in most soft shell style jackets and the lpac in size L fits just fine for me. Even with 1.1" thick plates in front and back. I haven't tried it with those plates and soft armor together though.

That does help because that's about where I am. My plate are only 3/4 thick too.

Gah. It's a terrible thing having so many good choices available lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

nova3930
12-30-15, 15:54
Well lpac it is. For $120 I can't go wrong. If it sucks I can get another one without feeling too bad about it.

If it doesn't work out I think the stt or the Tyr will be next up.

nova3930
01-02-16, 15:31
Got the LPAC in today. Large fits me pretty well and the highcome plates fit it pretty well. I see what people mean about BA jusst being different levels of suck and never good. Definitely not something I'd want to wear every day but should be fine for classes and range trips. Adding the shoulder pads and maybe some padding between body and plates would probably help a lot.

All in all I think it was definitely worth the $120 I paid for it. Probably a lot better carriers out there but probably not at that price....

nova3930
01-04-16, 10:12
Wore the LPAC to the range yesterday and I'm re-evaluating a little bit. I still think it's a pretty good piece of gear but I'm not sure it suits my needs. I think being set up for wrap around "concealment style" soft armor is adding a lot of fabric I don't need. At this point I don't have any intention of getting soft armor and if I do I think I'd go with plate size/style instead of concealment.

I think maybe I should have gone with my first instincts and the STT or Pig Brig.

jpmuscle
01-04-16, 18:10
Velocity Systems LWPC

kgj1119
01-07-16, 12:20
What are your opinions on the warrior assault systems dcs carrier? Compared to the mayflower apc

GTF425
01-07-16, 14:00
What are your opinions on the warrior assault systems dcs carrier? Compared to the mayflower apc

Airsoft quality crap.

Grizzly16
01-07-16, 14:40
Wore the LPAC to the range yesterday and I'm re-evaluating a little bit. I still think it's a pretty good piece of gear but I'm not sure it suits my needs. I think being set up for wrap around "concealment style" soft armor is adding a lot of fabric I don't need. At this point I don't have any intention of getting soft armor and if I do I think I'd go with plate size/style instead of concealment.

I think maybe I should have gone with my first instincts and the STT or Pig Brig.

You can probably return it or resell it and not loose money.

nova3930
01-07-16, 18:11
Probably sell it. Got enough of a deal on it that I probably won't lose any $ and even if I do it won't be much. Cost of playing the game and learning what suits your needs.

Eta

Think I'm going to go with the stt. In doing further research I found out that first spear makes what they call the thug, that adds a modular element to the strandhogg and stt. Slim profile, light weight, quick on and off with the tubes and the ability to quickly go from bare to pouches and such.

http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17666&cat=268&page=5

nova3930
01-08-16, 19:48
Ordered an STT today. See how it works out....

WatchTheWorldBern
01-11-16, 16:24
Probably sell it. Got enough of a deal on it that I probably won't lose any $ and even if I do it won't be much. Cost of playing the game and learning what suits your needs.

Eta

Think I'm going to go with the stt. In doing further research I found out that first spear makes what they call the thug, that adds a modular element to the strandhogg and stt. Slim profile, light weight, quick on and off with the tubes and the ability to quickly go from bare to pouches and such.

http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17666&cat=268&page=5

I think you'd probably be better off with some version of the swift clip system and something like the HSP D3—or at least I've been thinking of putting something like that together with a Strandhogg. Curious if other people have experience a similar setup, but the First Spear THUG doesn't look too good to me.

nova3930
01-11-16, 20:24
Honestly I'm thinking now I don't need either. As a civilian the amount of junk I'm going to hang off of it will be very limited so I don't think the modularity is necessary. Couple extra mags for rifle and pistol and that's it.

I got the stt in today and after looking at it I think I can hang that off the cummerbund and be fine.

For police and military I think the fast clip does make more sense though.

Looking at the 6/12 slots on the stt, don't see why you couldn't use something like this to add a swift clip setup

http://downrangegear.net/Down_Range_Gear_QASM_Vertical_Connector.html

Eta

And really I think that's probably what I'm going to do if I decide I need the modularity down the road.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Benito
01-11-16, 21:14
Ordered an STT today. See how it works out....

I think you'll like it. I dig my STT.

nova3930
01-11-16, 22:09
I think you'll like it. I dig my STT.

Obviously haven't gotten to use it yet, but just getting it set up, I like it thus far. Got a combo rifle/pistol ESSTAC KYWI to hang off the left side which I think will work well for my needs.

Only issue is I think my dumbass ordered the wrong size cummerbund for my fatass lol. I ordered the M/L which still seems tight expanded the furthest. Like hard to take a deep breath tight which I doubt is correct.

Psybain
01-12-16, 00:08
Obviously haven't gotten to use it yet, but just getting it set up, I like it thus far. Got a combo rifle/pistol ESSTAC KYWI to hang off the left side which I think will work well for my needs.

Only issue is I think my dumbass ordered the wrong size cummerbund for my fatass lol. I ordered the M/L which still seems tight expanded the furthest. Like hard to take a deep breath tight which I doubt is correct.
Yeah, you have to be honest with yourself and get the right size. doing any class with your gut sucked in to wear your equipment is no bueno.

nova3930
01-12-16, 08:53
Yeah, you have to be honest with yourself and get the right size. doing any class with your gut sucked in to wear your equipment is no bueno.

Following the directions on the site it said it should correlate to your suit jacket size, which is a 46-48 for me depending on cut of the jacket, and if you're "in between" get the smaller size. M/L says it does 42-48 and L/XL says it does 48-52.

Let me ask this question for anyone that has the STT or just knows in general. The cummerbund is 2 pieces that can overlap and link together via hook/loop. Do the pieces have to overlap or can they just interface with the hook/loop on the main body of the carrier and not be attached to each other? If it's the latter I think the M/L would actually work.

nova3930
01-13-16, 11:57
For future STT reference if anyone finds this searching, after talking with SKD customer service (which is good and fast), the cummerbund size should correlate to your suit jacket size, and here's the part I missed, UNLESS you add the pontoons and/or have thicker plates. I have both. Plates are 0.75" and I added front and rear padding pontoons.

They processed my return pretty immediately and I've got another size on the way. Also, The link to re-order the cummerbund is also not directly available on the website. CS had to send me the link.

shootinmedic
01-22-16, 15:54
www.first-spear.com First On Plate Carrier $ 103.00

www.greyghostgear.com Minimalist Plate Carrier $ 115.00

I use the Grey Ghost Gear carrier for duty as an active shooter rig.....Very comfortable..adjustable with flex built in the Side straps...easy on and fast .....Win!

jpmuscle
01-25-16, 19:59
OP this is right up your alley. New release from AT armor.

http://store.appalachiantraining.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AT-CPC

I'm not affiliated with the company other than being a satisfied customer myself.

nova3930
01-25-16, 20:16
Yeah that would have been a good option too. I'm liking the stt thus far though. Wore it for some shooting behind the house and I think it will work perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
01-26-16, 05:34
Yeah that would have been a good option too. I'm liking the stt thus far though. Wore it for some shooting behind the house and I think it will work perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Good good. That's all that really matters.