PDA

View Full Version : help choosing scope

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 12:54
I recently built a precision AR. 20 " 223 wylde barrel, billet upper lower, magpul UBR stock, etc...
Rifle is extremely accurate. Will shoot 1/2 groups no problem if i do my part. I will use the rifle for hunting and some long distance precision shooting. I have 2 scopes already and im trying to figure out which one you guys would use in this rifle. I have a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 illuminated reticle and a Vortex Viper 4-16x44. I love both scopes but want some opinions. The rifle will be used for precision shooting from 100yds out to probly 800 yds. Thanks

Tigereye
12-29-15, 13:28
Might get more replies in the Optics sub forum.

ColtSeavers
12-29-15, 13:50
Whichever one has finer crosshairs or smaller center dot depending on reticle.

Digital_Damage
12-29-15, 13:53
what is your budget?

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 13:56
Whichever one has finer crosshairs or smaller center dot depending on reticle.

Both scoped have fine crosshairs and very similar crosshairs

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 13:57
what is your budget?

Dont really have a budget. I already have the scopes

pointblank4445
12-29-15, 13:57
Must be urgent if you're going to post multiple threads on this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?178284-help-choosing-scope

If you're shootin' 1/2" groups, I should be asking YOU which scope I need...all day long.

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 14:02
Must be urgent if you're going to post multiple threads on this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?178284-help-choosing-scope

If you're shootin' 1/2" groups, I should be asking YOU which scope I need...all day long.
I accidently posted in twice. Dont know how that happened. Then someone suggested posting it in another forum instead. Nothing urgent. What does the 1/2 groups have to do with which scope to use?

pointblank4445
12-29-15, 14:22
What does the 1/2 groups have to do with which scope to use?

Forgive me but I found this too:

Im in the same boat. I just finished building a precision rifle also. 20" 223 wylde barrel. Rifle is extremely accurate. I can almost put 3 rounds in the same hole at 100 yards if i do my part.

Call me crazy, but if its shooting as well as you describe, why f*** with it? (The assumption here being you were previously shooting with an optic or some sort of sighting device to achieve said results)

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 14:35
Forgive me but I found this too:

Call me crazy, but if its shooting as well as you describe, why f*** with it? (The assumption here being you were previously shooting with an optic or some sort of sighting device to achieve said results)
Im asking which scope to put on it as far as magnification, objective size, weight etc... Why wouldnt it shoot just as good with one vs the other. They are both quality scopes. This my first AR. Didnt know if some people would say 20x is too much for a 223 etc... Forget it shoots tight groups. Lets say it shoots 5" groups at 100 yds. Now which would would you recommend. Like i said this is my first AR so im just trying to get some opinions from people who know more than i do. Sorry

pointblank4445
12-29-15, 14:54
The only hard and fast rule on optics is use what works for you. If you can see what you need to hit and can hit it, go as big and bad as you're willing to handle. What works for me may not work for you so take everything with a grain. The only opinion that matters is yours; pick one and roll on. Frankly, I don't care much for either choice, but it isn't my rifle.

One more piece of friendly advice. Eliminate the following terms/phrases from your vernacular if you ever wish to be taken seriously:
"...all day long"
"...if I do my part"

These are widely known is most precision shooting circles at the mating call of the assclown. It's ok to be a beginner; it's not ok to be an assclown. Good luck with your rifle.

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 15:01
The only hard and fast rule on optics is use what works for you. If you can see what you need to hit and can hit it, go as big and bad as you're willing to handle. What works for me may not work for you so take everything with a grain. The only opinion that matters is yours; pick one and roll on. Frankly, I don't care much for either choice, but it isn't my rifle.

One more piece of friendly advice. Eliminate the following terms/phrases from your vernacular if you ever wish to be taken seriously:
"...all day long"
"...if I do my part"

These are widely known is most precision shooting circles at the mating call of the assclown. It's ok to be a beginner; it's not ok to be an assclown. Good luck with your rifle.

Thank you. What scope would you recommend if it were your rifle

tmanker
12-29-15, 18:55
Which scope was on it when the rifle was zeroed? What turrets are on the Mark 4?

Regardless of the responses to the questions above, I would use the Mark 4 without a doubt. The Mark 4 scope is one of my favorite for durability, ability to hold zero, glass and dialing.

coolcraigster
12-29-15, 19:53
Which scope was on it when the rifle was zeroed? What turrets are on the Mark 4?

Regardless of the responses to the questions above, I would use the Mark 4 without a doubt. The Mark 4 scope is one of my favorite for durability, ability to hold zero, glass and dialing.

I have the mark 4 on it now and it was also the scope that was on the rifle when i zeroed it. It has the M1 turrets i beleive. I sold the rifle that the vortex viper scope was on and it just crossed my mind that i had the option of putting either scope on it now. Just wanted some opinions. Here is the rifle with the Mark 4 mounted on it.

snowdog650
12-29-15, 23:28
I would go with the Vortex simply because it is better suited for hunting (lighter weight, smaller, less low-end mag). If it were solely a precision rifle, definitely the Leupold ... but it sounds like you wish to hunt at least 50% of the time.

SomeOtherGuy
12-30-15, 09:06
It takes very little time to swap scopes out on an AR15, and only a little more to re-zero with good scopes. I would simply try both scopes out one at a time and decide which YOU like better. They are fairly close in magnification, quality and overall ability. It's not like you're asking whether to use a fixed 2x, a fixed 36x, or a 3-24x and wondering which one would be more versatile.

These aren't intended as frustrating answers, but I think several of us are puzzled about your question when you already own both similar scopes and the rifle is apparently shooting very well for you.

soliso
01-19-16, 14:42
Love the Viper 4-16x44. Just recieved my new Viper HS LR and some of ATN Corp (http://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight)'s optics today. All I can say is "wow" about the feel, fit and finish. I do not check new scopes daily, usually a few times a month when I get a free minute just to see whats new in the world of optics from the experts. Compared it next to a Leupold VX3 3-9x40 today and they seem on the same playing field. Not an expert here by any stretch, but they seemed very comparible to me. As they should, they're at about the same price point.

voiceofreason
01-23-16, 10:17
1. stick with the 2 scopes you already have

2. spend money on a long range shooting course

3. spend time and money on ammo/practice

4. if/when you NEED a better quality scope, after doing 2 & 3, you will KNOW what you NEED (your instructors will likely have opinions as well)

most people can't keep up with their equipment, not the other way around

a trained long range shooter with your equipment and some time with it will outshoot a rookie with the best equipment and little training. especially out past 400

skill > equipment

best part is… the skill transfers from gun to gun

though if you just want to buy a new scope, consider the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x. I've never even looked through it, but 2 of the long range shooters I know that run Heavy with a tactical slant are looking to pick one up. it should be great for 5.56 as well

something to peek at:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/