PDA

View Full Version : DPMS

Voodoochild
10-05-06, 19:08
I need to see some DPMS 308 AR's please. I have a sweet tooth for a 308 for some reason. I am leaning towards DPMS since they are pretty nice and not as expensive as other brands.

KYPD
10-06-06, 12:25
VooDooChild:

I posted my experience with DPMS's AP4 (.308 Mforgery) a few days ago. I would not buy another DPMS product due to serious QC problems, as in a bad barrel that produced no better than 11"+ groups at 48 yds with Federal Gold Match ammo. In support of their integrity, DPMS replaced it free of charge, but it was an essential and easily preventable QC failure that should not have occured in the first place.

If I was to do it over again, I would buy a Rock River Arms LAR-10. The RRA product uses FAL mags which is a big plus. For that matter, an AR-10 would be a better choice than DPMS IMO.

KYPD

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

olds442tyguy
10-06-06, 14:40
For what it's worth, I do not own a DPMS, but the ones I have shot have been flawless. It seems DPMS has had a few lemons, but coming across a bad report is quite rare.

The RRA is a carry on of a flawed platform. It is still yet to be seen if the RRA design will be a good choice, as the Bushmaster version was problematic for the majority of it's users. In short, I'd wait until they have a half way decent track record.

Voodoochild
10-06-06, 14:55
Yeah I know RRA is coming out W/ a 308 but not sure as to when it is going to happen. I know the problems W/Bushmaster and that it was a RRA desing that Bushmaste was going off of. A friend of mine has a LR-308 AP4 that shoots real well and never had a problem with it. FWIW I am not sure that RRA will have many aftermarket parts that will work with their 308 such as rails and other accesories.

olds442tyguy
10-07-06, 20:01
I'd definately go for the DPMS as I just saw on RRA's site that the release date has been pushed back to early 2007. :eek:

Rob96
10-08-06, 04:09
I'd definately go for the DPMS as I just saw on RRA's site that the release date has been pushed back to early 2007. :eek:

They are experiencing the same problems Bushy did. Thatrs why Bushy dropped it.

Nitrox
10-08-06, 18:55
The DPMS accepts the same accessories as the SR25, such as FF rails and magazines. If you buy the AP4 you will be able to use the Mid length URX rail that is currently for sale.

Voodoochild
10-08-06, 19:41
They are experiencing the same problems Bushy did. Thatrs why Bushy dropped it.

Actually it was an RRA design when bushy had it but they never heat treated their bolts right and gave up then RRA got the design back. They are now working to solve all problems bushy had with it but it looks like it is going to be the same design and some small changes. Hope they get it all figured out would be nice to have an RRA 5.56 and a 308 bulit off their parts.

olds442tyguy
10-09-06, 15:11
The DPMS accepts the same accessories as the SR25, such as FF rails and magazines. If you buy the AP4 you will be able to use the Mid length URX rail that is currently for sale.

You sure about that? Not only did I think the DPMS had proprietary threads, getting an SR25 rail system is nearly impossible, and the AP4 uses a carbine length gas system. The mags do interchange as you mentioned though.

Actually it was an RRA design when bushy had it but they never heat treated their bolts right and gave up then RRA got the design back. They are now working to solve all problems bushy had with it but it looks like it is going to be the same design and some small changes. Hope they get it all figured out would be nice to have an RRA 5.56 and a 308 bulit off their parts.

Another rumor. There were two rumors as to why the bolts failed in the BAR-10 platform. One came from Bushy, another came from another manufacturer, but both were wrong.

The real problem with the BAR-10 bolts was the tail shaft. The original design called for an indent in the tapering tail shaft, which drastically weakened the bolt. It had no purpose yet made it to production. However, when they broke, it was not evident until the rifle was taken down.

I have only heard of three bolt breakages that weren't in the tail shaft. Only one involved a completely broken bolt lug, and was more likely related to round count. The heat treat was fine, and RRA/Bushy DID NOT delete any bolt lugs.

Btrain
12-30-06, 14:11
My AP4.

I have since replaced that huge read sight with an ARMS 40 flip up BUIS.

I really like this gun. shoots very well and I have had no problems. I really like the compensator on it (Miculek) - takes up almost all of the recoil. Feels like less than a 5.56 round. Very fun shooter.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l251/leiasparents1/000_0044.jpg

jem375
01-10-07, 09:42
I buy nothing but DPMS ar15's since everyone I have seen are reliable and very accurate. Police departments are now buying the DPMS 308 rifles and sending very good reports on them.
It is my next rifle buy as soon as I scrape the money together...

cav_scout_tj
01-14-07, 15:36
I got a 24" stainless fluted LR-308 with the A-3 upper (add dustcover and forward assist) last month. I have been religious with my break in, I am up to about 150 rounds now. I love it. No failures. Period. I managed to jam the magazine with 20 rounds. 19 rounds is the limit. I have shot Aussie surplus, and the Paki surplus both run great. I get 2" groups with the Paki at 100yd. I just ordered another K. I got 1" in groups with my break-in 147fmj reloads (use up that old powder and bullets.) I have Black Hills 168 match I'll shoot for groups next time I am out. It cleans up very easy. The chromed bolt and carrier are sweet, clean up great.

I need to take some good pics, none yet. I have a 16" bushy 5.56 CAR and sure the 308 is heavier. I was expecting the 24" barrel to be longer than it seems. Shooting the 5.56 is like a 22lr after that big .308. Its like Hemi muscle car vs. nissan sentra. I understand why all those M-14 guys make fun of the mouse guns.

Mr223
01-23-07, 08:17
Hey Voodoochild,
Just Picked Up My Dpms Lrt-sass 308 And It's One Well Built Gun. Here Is A Picture Of The Beast And I'm Looking For The Right Scope Now To Finish Off The Top. My Buddy Bought One Awhile Back And He Has Put 660 Rds Of Black Hills 168gr Threw Her With Out A Problem. No Ftf Or Fte And We Have Been Getting 1/2 Moa Groups At 100 Yards. Let Me Know What You Think.
Mr223

Will Get Some Pictures Up Of The Lrt-sass And The Rest Of My Family

Mr223
01-23-07, 08:31
HEY VOODOOCHILD,
JUST PICKED UP MY DPMS LRT-SASS 308 AND IT'S ONE WELL BUILT GUN. HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE BEAST AND I'M LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT SCOPE NOW TO FINISH OFF THE TOP. MY BUDDY BOUGHT ONE AWHILE BACK AND HE HAS PUT 660 RDS OF BLACK HILLS 168GR THREW HER WITH OUT A PROBLEM. NO FTF OR FTE AND WE HAVE BEEN GETTING 1/2 MOA GROUPS AT 100 YARDS. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
MR223

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/cableexpress/SASS.jpg

ALSO A PICTURE OF THE REST OF MY FAMILY
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/cableexpress/FAMILY.jpg

chrisva
01-29-07, 12:45
Get a nightforce or US optics!!! How doe the rifle shoot and were did you get it?
thanks
chris

hepcatz
05-07-07, 00:04
I bought a 24"ss LR-308 and have NO complaints. Accuracy at 200 yds is about 1" or less with multiple groups on top of each other..I will post a target when I get around to it....But DPMS makes a sweet rifle and the accuracy and operation are a pleasure.

I am going to buy a second one without any hesitation!

John k
05-26-07, 04:55
I've run about 450 rds through my DPMS SASS so far without a single problem.Fit and finish are very good and it will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long with Federal 168 BTHP match ammo.

cav_scout_tj
07-23-07, 21:45
It really rocks. From the factory, it was a beast with that 24" heavy barrel. I just installed an 18" Noveske and it just plain rocks. Easy half MOA with match ammo. Still eats surplus when I want it to. Gonna dominate the battle rifle class at the next carbine match.

http://listmequick.com/AR10/AR10b.jpg
http://listmequick.com/AR10/AR10d.jpg

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSyeqcG_Xk)

TJ